Any Masonic Traveling men? Into MD

To the folks who were wondering if the Masons are sinister, or a cult, no.

LOL, churches say the same thing but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.... Numerous times on this post people have asked exactly what freemasonry is yet not a single response. My 'spidey senses' tell me something ain't right here, sorry if I offend but I can't control my 'spidey senses'. Then I just read that athiest aren't allowed, ahahahaha, I now understand just a bit better what's going on. Your not looking for intelligent free-thinkers but sheep who have proven to be gullible and easily brainwashed. BTW, the title of this thread sounds like an advertisement on craigslist's casual encounters male 4 male section.:roll:

Where on earth did you read that ?

You can find out virtually anything you want to about Freemasonry, online.

There's no real mystery.

Posted by msholden, "They don't screen people out based on religion, though you do need to believe in a supreme being to join." Personally I don't understand how anyone believes in a 'supreme being' with absolutely zero evidence of one. I'm just not a person that's willing to overlook a lack of evidence in exchange for comfort from the fear of death. I also have one question...I hear of the 'secret handshakes'...do you guys actually do these without laughing hysterically at the preposterous nature of them?

Posted by msholden, "They don't screen people out based on religion, though you do need to believe in a supreme being to join." Personally I don't understand how anyone believes in a 'supreme being' with absolutely zero evidence of one. I'm just not a person that's willing to overlook a lack of evidence in exchange for comfort from the fear of death. I also have one question...I hear of the 'secret handshakes'...do you guys actually do these without laughing hysterically at the preposterous nature of them?
Grow up.
The only reason for the need to believe in a supreme being, is because you have to swear an oath. If there is no entitiy to whom you feel responsible to, then no oath or pledge that you swear to will be binding.
It's that simple. Nothing sinister about it.
And signs, handshakes, etc... by which one mason may know another in darkness as well as light has saved more lives than you have any idea.

So quit playing your silly game, making everything that you don't have the slightest clue about into some sort of conspiracy. The only conspiracy going on is the perpetuation of freedom and betterment of man.

What an interesting thread. Am I a freemason?
Could be, but we tend not to advertise the fact in the UK!

It's not as secretive in the UK as it has been over the last 60 or more
years. Going way back, it was very open, with Masons parading in public, in
full regalia. You can find footage on Pathe News .
They are now trying to open things up again. For instance, in the last couple
of years, Masons have taken part in the Lord Mayors Parade in London.

The way I understand it, in Medieval times before the Renaissance Freemasons were among the very few people able to practice science without being killed by the church. A lot of that had to do with the church needing them to build churches.. and the monarchy needing them to build their buildings and provide other systems.

That is where the "secrecy" myth/tradition came from, because it one time their lives depended on it. Now it's just a tradition. When you read about the Founding Fathers who were masons many of them were from technical backgrounds, George Washington was a surveyor, a traditional trade. Others just valued science and reason in a sense of rememberance of the Enlightenment movement and had that in common. Things make sense in the old days for simple reasons linked with complex social reasons.

That is where the "secrecy" myth/tradition came from, because it one time their lives depended on it.

It still does in some countries. We are very loose with our secrecy in the US because of our long history of freedom.

Hitler killed a great many Freemasons because of the perceived danger that our brotherhood represented to his regime. (See, http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/hitler.html)

Currently, in many countries ruled by Islamic law, membership in the order can cost you your freedom or your life.

Freemason secrets

I am not a Freemason, but many in my family have been Freemasons or Eastern Star.
Much has been discussed about the Freemasons and what they are really up to. In the USA, the Freemasons have a rather colorful history that is not necessarily current public knowledge. Since some of my ancestors were directly involved in part of the history, I thought I would drag it out of the shadows for public enlightenment.
The Morgan Affair​
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morgan_(anti-Mason)
My aunt got involved in genealogy and discovered that one or more of the accused were part of our family tree. She also got the impression during her research that Morgan did indeed get killed.
To paraphrase my aunt:
“Captain Morgan came to the area and visited the local Masonic temple. It was obvious that he was a Freemason. After a while, he went to the local newspaper and discussed with the editor the possibility of publishing a series of stories revealing all the Masonic secrets. Apparently, this was to be done for some amount of remuneration.
The local freemasons took offense to this and eventually Morgan disappeared and the newspaper office was burned.
Eventually a body turned up and Morgan’s widow ID’ed it as her husband. Later, another body turned up and she also identified it as her one-and-only.
The men on trial suggested that Morgan had been taken to Canada and was given a horse and $400, and was told to never set foot in NY again. There were subsequent reports that Morgan was seen in Canada, with a new wife.”
The trials of the accused were nationwide news, and this led to the Anti-Masonic party, which had conventions and made some contributions to the election process in the USA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party
Reading between the lines of the wiki articles and what my aunt dug up, I will assume that some of my ancestors took it upon themselves to burn the newspaper, and murder Captain Morgan. So far as I know, that is a rather extreme and otherwise unknown situation within Freemasonry, and I have no reason to think it was done at the request of the lodge.
That the murder of one man could lead to the formation of political parties is rather remarkable to me, and suggests that the era surrounding the Jackson presidency was highly politicized to a level remarkable even today.
And I am only assuming that there was a murder. What actually happened is probably lost to history.
However, it does seem possible that some Freemasons did commit some serious crimes in an effort to protect the secrets of Freemasonry.
However, I am not aware of any other times that any Freemasons were involved in or accused of committing crimes to protect Freemasonry.
On the other hand, I am aware of hospitals that treat sick children at no cost to their parents, and other charitable or service projects run by the Shriners/Masons.
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/masonic_charity.html
If you are interested in finding out more about Freemasonry, I suggest that you find a member and ask them about it. Additionally, you can do research on the internet and find out the answer to any question you are likely to have.
HH,
John Morton

http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/masonic_charity.html
If you are interested in finding out more about Freemasonry, I suggest that you find a member and ask them about it. Additionally, you can do research on the internet and find out the answer to any question you are likely to have.
HH,
John Morton

Interesting story.

As you say, You can find out virtually all there is to know about Freemasonry on the Internet.

There really are no conspiracies or hidden agendas, despite what some might say.
In the UK, it is said that charitable donations by Freemasons, come only second to the National Lottery.
They don't talk about it in public though, unlike some of the other organisations.

I don't post much on here anymore, having "retired" from detecting in 2016.

I thought I'd just mention that I am presently SW of my lodge, and will be
installed in the chair in March. These last few years have flown by.

I don't post much on here anymore, having "retired" from detecting in 2016.

Big congratulations to you Brother!

Congratulations Brother SW!
Participation in my area has been down for quite a while. Many Lodge WM's are Past Masters picking up the slack. It's sad, but things like this are cyclic.

Congratulations Brother SW!
Participation in my area has been down for quite a while. Many Lodge WM's are Past Masters picking up the slack. It's sad, but things like this are cyclic.

That's certainly the truth. We've had a few youngsters come into our Lodge,
but also a number of older ones who have passed away, or always seem to
be busy when we have our meetings.

Back
Top Bottom