Southern California City Parks

Ward90630

Hello,

I am new to MD I have done some research and I am not finding a lot of information when it comes to MD in city parks. I live in Orange County, CA and a few list no digging of any type, so I thought I would reach out to the community and ask for suggestion or if its normally allowed if not listed on the cities website.

Thanks in advance.
Ward

Tom will be more than happy to answer all your permission and So.Cal needs !

.... and a few list no digging of any type, ....

Tom will be more than happy to answer all your permission and So.Cal needs !

haha, Kob knows the md'ing legalities are the "bee in my bonnet" :laughing:

Ward : Let me save you some time : It's not a "few" that forbid "digging". It's all parks and all public land, across the entire USA. Because even if it didn't use the exact word "dig", it will still be alluded to in some form or fashion : "Alter", "deface", "destroy", "damage", etc....

And if we md'rs are to assume that all these things mean "no md'ing " (since, yes, we admittedly dig our targets), then that would mean that there's no md'ing in any park in the USA. Right ? Yet a simple look at the show & tell forums show no-lack of md'rs plying the parks. So : How can this be ? Are they all lawless miscreants ? No . Here's the logic :

All such obligatory verbiage infers/implies the end result. So if you've left no trace of your presence (covered, stomped, fluffed up, etc...), then presto : You haven't alterED or defacED anything. Now have you ? :roll:

Admittedly the word "dig" is a bit more problematic . But I propose to you that if you can agree with the logic of alter vs alterED, (present vs past-tense) then so too does the same logic apply to dig vs dug . It's merely a spelling matter that we say "dug" and not "digged" as our past tense of dig.

Now is that to say that every passer-by busy body will agree with those semantics ? OF COURSE NOT. So you pick low traffic times when said-lookie-lou nosy parkers are not out and about. Leave no trace. Cover, stomp, fluff up, and you'll be fine.

Ward : Let me save you some time : It's not a "few" that forbid "digging". It's all parks and all public land, across the entire USA. Because even if it didn't use the exact word "dig", it will still be alluded to in some form or fashion : "Alter", "deface", "destroy", "damage", etc....

And if we md'rs are to assume that all these things mean "no md'ing " (since, yes, we admittedly dig our targets), then that would mean that there's no md'ing in any park in the USA. Right ? Yet a simple look at the show & tell forums show no-lack of md'rs plying the parks. So : How can this be ? Are they all lawless miscreants ? No . Here's the logic :

All such obligatory verbiage infers/implies the end result. So if you've left no trace of your presence (covered, stomped, fluffed up, etc...), then presto : You haven't alterED or defacED anything. Now have you ? :roll:

Admittedly the word "dig" is a bit more problematic . But I propose to you that if you can agree with the logic of alter vs alterED, (present vs past-tense) then so too does the same logic apply to dig vs dug . It's merely a spelling matter that we say "dug" and not "digged" as our past tense of dig.

Now is that to say that every passer-by busy body will agree with those semantics ? OF COURSE NOT. So you pick low traffic times when said-lookie-lou nosy parkers are not out and about. Leave no trace. Cover, stomp, fluff up, and you'll be fine.
Thank you, I appreciate the information and your time, I will continue to hunt at the local beaches thankfully they are very close. Thanks again!

Wrong again Tom ! Man , you got a sick and twisted mind don't you ? But so do I. Let's take it a step further , because I know where you're at. It's not really the interpretation of the words and how they are spelled. Dig , dug , deface , defaced , alter , altered. Whatever. Technically it's all disturbed. Which by definition of the rules you can't do. Taking it further...you can't even WALK on the grass , because even that it would be altered , defaced , damaged...whatever word you choose to use. Past or present tense. It's a sick and twisted world we are in....

.... Whatever. Technically it's all disturbed. ......

How does Jamflicker get all that silver from the So. CA turfed parks ? He and Dan have stooped *so low*, as to (gasp) dig them. Sssheesk, what's next ? Torturing baby kittens ? :?:

Metal detecting rules when someone stares at you funny, someone calls you out, and the third photo pretty much 100% of the time

Attachments

• funny.jpg
    funny.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 516
  • funny2.jpg
    funny2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 531
  • funny 2.JPG
    funny 2.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 537
Equinoxes are great at discriminating all the quarters. I know a guy that just does that on all the parks in south OC. I don’t think he ever has found a gold ring though. If you want rings the beach is your best bet but finds have been few - due to Covid, weather, or too many detectorists been there already.

How does Jamflicker get all that silver from the So. CA turfed parks ? He and Dan have stooped *so low*, as to (gasp) dig them. Sssheesk, what's next ? Torturing baby kittens ? :?:
Haha.. yeah those guys are good for sure. But you got the right method Tom. Unless it's some National , historic park or it specifically is placarded "no metal detecting" ....just hunt it. Don't ask anybody nothing....just do it.

Haha, fun to see me brought up in this post. Who ever said I dig. I use an old Jedi trick to get the silver out of the ground.

Too many times I get to a park, see 5-6 large holes and they are just a mess. Trash is left next to the holes. It is embarrassing to see and stuff like that will get us all banned. I fixed a number of holes last weekend. If you are going to get into this hobby, buy the correct tools to dig and recover target, watch videos and understand how to dig and recover and fill your hole. Leave as little of a trace possible.

I’ve had zero problems MDing parks in OC. Take nothing but gold. Leave nothing but footprints.
As far as the beach, there isn't anything there. I only go for the exercise. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom