• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Research help - Appomattox

tonyva123

Elite Member
I have 65 acres I can MD on that is about 8 miles west, southwest of Appomattox national park. How can I find out if there was any troop movement, activity in that area? All I know is it has 2 springs, a creek, and an old wooden foundation on it. Thanks for your time.

The Library of Virginia in Richmond is an incredible resource. I inherited a very large bible printed in the late 1800's whose binding had deteriorated and was in need of major repair. I contacted them as they have a department of very talented folks extremely capable of this type of work. During a visit and review of this department, I was shown books being repaired, written by Thomas Jefferson during the very early 1800's, very impressive. I, also, reviewed Civil War (War of Northern Aggression) information. They have rooms full of this history. If you have the time, they can certainly steer you in the right direction regarding the physical location you are attempting to research.

I have 65 acres I can MD on that is about 8 miles west, southwest of Appomattox national park. How can I find out if there was any troop movement, activity in that area? All I know is it has 2 springs, a creek, and an old wooden foundation on it. Thanks for your time.

See if you can look at a book "The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War" It should have that information. It has many maps of most or all of the battles, and many more information on both sides and pictures of most of the dress worn from both side and weapons used.

Can anyone else help me? So far I am finding nothing. Thanks.

Is 8 miles southwest of the park still Appomattox? Does the area your referring to have a specific name? Just trying to narrow the research down to a specific area before i start.

Tony,

I grew up in Farmville and have some (albeit limited) knowledge of the area and the retreat.

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=o...s&ei=fjQpUtv0As70qwG75oAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CIEBELYD

If you view the above link, Lee retreated northward from Farmville along Old Plank Road (route 600) (roughly), his forces were then turned westward along Raines Tavern Road (route 636) which becomes Stage Coach Road. As you scroll westward on the map, Stage Coach road intersects with James Madison Highway (US Highway 15) at Sheppards and the road then becomes Francisco Road.

The very first house on the left (south side of Francisco Road past the intersection) was the house that Lee stayed in the night prior to the Surrender. (please note, this house was being restored about 20 years ago and burned due to an electrical malfunction....it was restored again....and burned again. I am not sure if the current house is still period).

Lees forces followed followed Francisco Rd. (Rt 636) until it met up with Old Courthouse Road (Rt 24) where the turned southward to Appomattox where they hoped to reach Lynchburg.

The closest action to you was at Appomattox Station where Custer defeated Confederate forces under Martin.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/appomattoxstation.html

Search for the Battle and look for battle maps. Maps that show route into and out of the battle and area.

Visited Appomattox Courthouse this past weekend. The guy in the McLean house seemed very knowledgeable as to the directions the different groups were facing or advancing from. It was a brief discussion but you might find him (or someone else there) to be very knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom