3 Bullets

Alaskan

I have three bullets that I think I've ID'ed, but looking for confirmation.

I believe the two on the left are 45-90s, and the shell on the right is a .45 caliber shell. Diameters on all three are approx .45". Weights (from L to R) are 26, 25, and 20 grams.

The .45 shell has "W" and "18" stamped on it (or is it "81"?).

There is a notbable difference regarding the size of the hollow in the base of the two 45-90 bullets. Is that common? Do they hollow the base to match a specific weight?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4284.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4285.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4287.jpg
    IMG_4287.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 267
The cartage is a .45 ACP and the W means:
"W, WC, or WCC Western Cartridge Company - East Alton, Illinois Manufactured .30-'06 Springfield ammunition during World War I and World War II."
As per this info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_headstamps#US_arsenals

18 is the date of 1918 so this is an older, unfired .45 ACP , nice find.
These were available surplus to civilians.

I would guess the two lead bullets from a .45-70 which was and still is a popular cartage. Why do you guess .45-90? (just trying to learn).

Greetings from west-central Miss'ippi. The .45 headstamp may be Winchester manufactured in 1918. From what I've read, the hollowed base was there to expand,keeping the gas from the burning powder to escape down the barrel. This may be all wrong, won't be the first time. Hope this helps and happy hunting. Terry

The two fired rounds are .45, but whether they are 45-90 or 45-70 cannot be accurately determined without the casing. the last number is the grains of powder. they shoulddate from the late 1800's.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I would guess the two lead bullets from a .45-70 which was and still is a popular cartage. Why do you guess .45-90? (just trying to learn).

I had a read on a different forum that the .45-90 was slightly heavier than the .45-70 and should weigh 26 grams. However, based on rusty's info it sounds like the 90 is grains of powder, and size of bullet should be identical between the -70 and -90. I really have a lot of learning to do on this subject. . .

Thanks for the education!

The cartage is a .45 ACP and the W means:
"W, WC, or WCC Western Cartridge Company - East Alton, Illinois Manufactured .30-'06 Springfield ammunition during World War I and World War II."
As per this info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_headstamps#US_arsenals

18 is the date of 1918 so this is an older, unfired .45 ACP , nice find.
These were available surplus to civilians.

I think it's an '81'. you put the mark at the top when you read the W and then spin the case 180* to read 81 for year of manufacture.

I think it's an '81'. you put the mark at the top when you read the W and then spin the case 180* to read 81 for year of manufacture.

I think the internet would beg to differ. It is clearly a W for Western, and an 18 for the year of manufacture. Add to that the color of the bullet is incorrect for something as late as 81, as is the color of the primer sealant.

Yes. 45-70,45-90, 45-120 are all the same bullet, the only difference is the length of the case. The 2nd# is the amount of black powder the case was supposed to hold.

The large grease grooves give these away as black powder cartridge rounds, as does the large hollow base in the one bullet.

That .45 ACP round does not appear to be a full metal jacket? It appears to be lead, it which case it is a reload. The lack of a crimp on the bullet would indicate lead also.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I had a read on a different forum that the .45-90 was slightly heavier than the .45-70 and should weigh 26 grams. However, based on rusty's info it sounds like the 90 is grains of powder, and size of bullet should be identical between the -70 and -90. I really have a lot of learning to do on this subject. . .

Thanks for the education!
Yep, -70 or -90 is grain of black power the case can hold.

That .45 ACP round does not appear to be a full metal jacket? It appears to be lead, it which case it is a reload. The lack of a crimp on the bullet would indicate lead also.

Missed that detail. A mil-surplus would have a full copper jacket on the bullet. So a reload with a cast bullet it is.

Just be careful with that 45 with the primer still in it. It's a live round. Primer may be dead but you never know. And they hollow the base so it expands to form as perfect a seal going down the barrel as it can.

Just be careful with that 45 with the primer still in it. It's a live round. Primer may be dead but you never know. And they hollow the base so it expands to form as perfect a seal going down the barrel as it can.

Yes, I've handled it carefully and will continue to. Thanks for the warning.

Appreciate all the info.

You can see where the firing pin hit the primer, looks like a light hit. Or the guy that made it jacked it up, it was a misfire and manually ejected onto the ground. You can pull the bullet with a pair of pliers

You can see where the firing pin hit the primer, looks like a light hit. Or the guy that made it jacked it up, it was a misfire and manually ejected onto the ground. You can pull the bullet with a pair of pliers
Much of the early .45ACP ammo used a cupro-nickel jacket,
which looks like a bare lead bullet, but is not.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41833-wwi-45-auto-ammo-brass-or-steel-case/

As for pulling the bullet, why? It is a harmless antique for the shelf, it's never going to go off unless you smack it with a hammer, throw it in a fire, or mangle at it with pliers.

Back
Top Bottom