Problem with my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT in hot weather.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi ! :tiphat:

My Pro-Pointer AT (aka "Orange Carrot") doesn't operate correctly hunting in hot weather (80's Fahrenheit) when I try to cycle between the two detection settings, Audio-plus Vibrate or Vibrate-only. It gets stuck in one mode or the other and following the procedure explained on page #3 of the manual doesn't work in the field, but after I get home and try it again in the cooler 70's Fahrenheit room temperature it operates normally. BTW, the manual specifications state an operating temperature range of -35°F to 158°F. I received this pinpointer June 02, 2016 and during a phone consultation with a Garrett technical employee I was advised to use 9V Energizer Max Alkaline batteries and I always do.

Before every hunt I test the battery to be used on a ZTS Part No. MBT-1 Pulse Load Multi-Battery Tester that measures the battery voltage under load and gives readings of 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100%. The Pulse Load magnitude varies according to the battery type and when testing my 9V Energizers the pulse load test duration is only a couple of seconds before I get a reading. After consulting with the manufacturer of this tester, it was suggested that I not use a battery that has a reading of less than 60% at the start of each hunt. I usually use batteries testing 80% or 100% if available, but never less than 60% and even then I don't recall ever hearing the Pro-Pointer AT's Low Battery Alarm go off during my usual 2 hour hunts. I'm limited to 2 hours due to health problems. Testing batteries with a Volt-Ohm meter alone doesn't give the whole story, as explained in the following paragraphs.

The difference between a simple battery tester and a battery load tester is that battery load testers, such as ZTS Multi-Battery tester, compute the battery's actual remaining power capacity using a 2-second pulse load test. This pulse load simulates the real power demand that batteries experience in a high drain electronic device. So battery performance is measured, not just voltage. The load is automatically disconnected, so testing will not harm or drain the battery.

A battery volt tester tests the remaining voltage of a battery. This is not a very reliable method for certain types of batteries. For example, LiMnO2 (Lithium Manganese Dioxide) batteries, such as CR2 batteries, have a relatively flat discharge rate. (They last a long time but die quickly) So, the battery’s voltage at 80% capacity is nearly the same as 40% capacity. A regular battery volt tester cannot indicate the difference between 80% performance remaining or 40%. While a simple battery volt tester may be sufficient for some batteries, it is not the best solution for all batteries.

The above information is presented here for the sole purpose of supporting my persuasion that the batteries I use are not the cause of the problem explained in the opening paragraph. I am not connected to or employed in any way by ZTS for profit. If this information encourages the reader to purchase equipment from ZTS, that is your own personal decision and I cannot be responsible in any way for the outcome.

Sorry for the length of this post, but has anyone else had the same or similar problem with the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT ?

Thanks for your comments !

ToddB64 :putertired:

Garrett's Customer Service😤

No problem with my original Garrett pinpointer. However, I wanted to comment about Garrett's lack of customer service. Battery issue.....Please! "advised to use 9V Energizer Max Alkaline batteries”. Seriously! They should have immediately issued a return authorization.

No problem with my original Garrett pinpointer. However, I wanted to comment about Garrett's lack of customer service. Battery issue.....Please! "advised to use 9V Energizer Max Alkaline batteries”. Seriously! They should have immediately issued a return authorization.

Hi TreasureHawk,

Thanks for your comments and I agree, the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT should operate normally with any major brand of 9V battery.

It really gets me fuming when I think of how companies are using the citizenry like lab rats to test and debug their products. After enough complaints, here comes the "new and improved" version with more bells and whistles that often make operation confusing and in some cases causes erratic operation. :hmmm:}hmmm

Actually, I like the KISS principle that made the Tesoro Compadre so economical in price, popular, easy to use and effective....just ask Digger27 and me !

Nevertheless, when my brother asked what he could get me for my 75th birthday last year and I had been reading all the hoopla over the new Garrett Orange Carrot I couldn't resist mentioning it jokingly, never really thinking he would swing for that kind of money on a BD gift.:jawdrop: But guessing, since I had gifted him my ammo hand loading equipment, he being the hunter and gun enthusiast, whereas I had become totally involved with metal detecting, I think he wanted to reciprocate and insisted on buying the Carrot for me. You see, we just happen to love each other ! :friends: Aw, ain't that sweet. So, that's how I went from kiss to bells and whistles, but now I'm having the erratic operation issue.

Toddb64

Customer Service

If it is under warranty send it in.

I wonder if anyone else had those issues?

Along the lines of good customer service experiences I had are with Whites, First Texas Products and the Shark vacuum company. Shark sent replacement parts to me no questions asked. First Texas was kind enough to send me a metal detector arm strap, no charge. And Whites goes without saying.....great customer service.

Of course the worst companies are any of the cable companies like Comcast. AT&T, cell companies, and anything jobbed out to India or similar countries are horrible.

Garrett! JUST REPLACE HIS PINPOINTER!

If you had a whites there would be no questions asked.... whites customer service is great. I wont be buying another garret pin point in the future. I liked how it works but I'll go with a company that supports it customers.

If you had a whites there would be no questions asked.... whites customer service is great. I wont be buying another garret pin point in the future. I liked how it works but I'll go with a company that supports it customers.

Tpmetal,

Thanks for your views ! ;)

ToddB64

And Mary at Whites is such a sweet lady to deal with..

I'm in the White's fanboy club as well. When I was looking at a pinpointer, I watched every video, read every review, and paid attention to forum posts. Garrett was knocked out of the running in about 3 minutes.

To me, Garrett is the big-box store of the metal detecting world. Move as many of them as possible, and fix things later, if we really have to. Aside from that, I didn't like the reported performance of in field usage I was seeing.

I was going to go for the Nokta, as it was neck-and-neck with the White's TRX, but my local dealer had a deal on the TRX that couldn't be passed, so I grabbed it. I am incredibly happy and satisfied that I did. I'm sure the Nokta is a great PP, but the TRX has been awesome.

I've dropped in on concrete (accidentally) pointer down a couple of times (don't ask), submerged it in saltwater, and I use it as a digger when I'm close. I have not had a single issue with it at all.

The only issue I had was with the holster. The snap broke first time I went to move it from one belt to the other. I called White's, and then sent me a new one no questions asked in 4 days. I was very pleased.

So..... my advice would be sell the Carrot, and buy a TRX. The TRX works a little differently, but IMO, it's a better pinpointer in many ways.

I wonder if anyone else had those issues?

I have the same issue with my carrott. Sometimes it will not go into the switching mode, put it down and try again a little while later, and it will go right into mode switch.
I have also had it jump into mode switch while using it with only a quick start-up push of the button. I usually do not switch modes, mostly leave it in vibrate and medium sensitivity.
The most annoying of all is the unintended jump into the change mode while starting it up to use it.

I'm in the White's fanboy club as well. When I was looking at a pinpointer, I watched every video, read every review, and paid attention to forum posts. Garrett was knocked out of the running in about 3 minutes.

To me, Garrett is the big-box store of the metal detecting world. Move as many of them as possible, and fix things later, if we really have to. Aside from that, I didn't like the reported performance of in field usage I was seeing.

I was going to go for the Nokta, as it was neck-and-neck with the White's TRX, but my local dealer had a deal on the TRX that couldn't be passed, so I grabbed it. I am incredibly happy and satisfied that I did. I'm sure the Nokta is a great PP, but the TRX has been awesome.

I've dropped in on concrete (accidentally) pointer down a couple of times (don't ask), submerged it in saltwater, and I use it as a digger when I'm close. I have not had a single issue with it at all.

The only issue I had was with the holster. The snap broke first time I went to move it from one belt to the other. I called White's, and then sent me a new one no questions asked in 4 days. I was very pleased.

So..... my advice would be sell the Carrot, and buy a TRX. The TRX works a little differently, but IMO, it's a better pinpointer in many ways.

Hi KirkS !

Like you, before I decided on the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, I did research on the White's TRX and two models of Garrett, i.e. Pro II and AT, that had good reports at the time.

Attached at the bottom are copies of the check list I made up for myself last year to help me make a determination on which brand & model I would like to buy if money became available. Then :woohoo: when my brother offered to buy me a new pinpointer for my 75th Birthday last year I chose the AT, as it would be softer on his pocket. Yawl feel free to copy these attachments if they can do you any good my:friends:.

In conclusion, after I have what appears to be all the replies I'm going to receive on this thread, digested them and used my AT in hot weather a few more times to make positively certain the problem experienced is not something I'm doing incorrectly, then I will decide to contact Garrett or not. I'm hoping to make a field trip later today if the rain holds off in my area.

Thanks a lot for your well-expressed reply !

ToddB64

Attachments

• PINPOINTER SPECS. & FEATURES CHECK LIST for WHITE'S TRX, GARRETT PRO II and AT 001.jpg
    PINPOINTER SPECS. & FEATURES CHECK LIST for WHITE'S TRX, GARRETT PRO II and AT 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 446
  • PIN-POINTER SPECS. & FEATURES CHECK LIST for WHITE'S TRX, GARRETT PRO II and AT 001.jpg
    PIN-POINTER SPECS. & FEATURES CHECK LIST for WHITE'S TRX, GARRETT PRO II and AT 001.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I have the same issue with my carrott. Sometimes it will not go into the switching mode, put it down and try again a little while later, and it will go right into mode switch.
I have also had it jump into mode switch while using it with only a quick start-up push of the button. I usually do not switch modes, mostly leave it in vibrate and medium sensitivity.
The most annoying of all is the unintended jump into the change mode while starting it up to use it.

Mikey48,

I appreciate your input !

Thanks much,

ToddB64

Back
Top Bottom