First day out and learned Hard Lesson !

Jburkes80

Well I found a bunch of beer cans at 4 to 6 inches an old washer and a newer blackpowder bullet. But I realized after my 10th hole dug I was missing some skin on my hand and had a large blister beside it. Ruined my hunt and now I realize why every picture and video I've seen of Metal detectorist they have gloves on. Ouch
2e58c2ec20a1508cb8eaf0a653b0f24d.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

After 10 holes!!?? Your hands will toughen up over time. Keep at it. (And get some gloves) My hands have callused up but my wrists are always stiff.

After 10 holes!!?? Your hands will toughen up over time. Keep at it. (And get some gloves) My hands have callused up but my wrists are always stiff.
Yeah could of been 15 max but I was using small digging tool. Need to get a spade. Also I'm a traveling Law Enforcement salesman now days so it seems my hands have softened up some !! Lol

beer cans at 4 to 6" ? Seems to me you have to find better hunting spots.

As for blisters, I never wear gloves, and yet don't get blisters. Just depends on how you hold your lesche/bayonnet digger tool. And exception is super hard ground, I have sometime gotten a blister like that :)

I always wear gloves. There is this stuff called BROKEN GLASS:shock: that I have found in numerous holes that I have dug through the years and not just in parks. You won't see it but it will find you and you will know when it does. There is another thing that comes after your unseen meeting with broken glass called a tetanus shot; those don't feel too good either plus will cost you a doctor visit. The good news is, none of this has to happen if you get a nice pair of gloves. I use cut-resistant gloves and they paid for themselves a long time ago. No blisters nor bloody surprises.:D Wearing gloves is just smart:yes:

I always wear gloves. There is this stuff called BROKEN GLASS:shock: that I have found in numerous holes that I have dug through the years and not just in parks. You won't see it but it will find you and you will know when it does. There is another thing that comes after your unseen meeting with broken glass called a tetanus shot; those don't feel too good either plus will cost you a doctor visit. The good news is, none of this has to happen if you get a nice pair of gloves. I use cut-resistant gloves and they paid for themselves a long time ago. No blisters nor bloody surprises.:D Wearing gloves is just smart:yes:

Yes, gloves are a MUST. I recently helped some newbies pull something out of the ground and got cut because I left my glove off. Cut my finger on a sharp object (don't know what it was) and my finger was swollen for a couple of days. I had a tetnus shot about 4 years ago so I rode it out.

Yes, gloves are a MUST. I recently helped some newbies pull something out of the ground and got cut because I left my glove off. Cut my finger on a sharp object (don't know what it was) and my finger was swollen for a couple of days. I had a tetnus shot about 4 years ago so I rode it out.

good advice, Happa. i've read of MDer's coming across discarded hypodermics in my area. Scary.

Ditto on the gloves, and for Pete's sake, get yourself a good Lesche digger! That combo should prevent future repeats of that misery.

good advice, Happa. i've read of MDer's coming across discarded hypodermics in my area. Scary.

Yes, good point!!!! I run into used needles all the time at the older parks where the homeless hang out. In fact I can remember very clearly close to being pricked by a used needle. Scared the hell out of me. Gotta wear those gloves.

Yeah. I'll be purchasing a nice pair of gloves. No needles where I'm at but I'm sure there's glass and possible broad heads. In on a farm hunting relics in the middle of no where near the western front of the siege of Petersburg.

I've not used gloves in nine years, but they're not a bad idea.
Where do folks live that they have to worry about hypo needles :?:
I think I'd be looking for new spots, for sure.

Yeah. I'll be purchasing a nice pair of gloves. No needles where I'm at but I'm sure there's glass and possible broad heads. In on a farm hunting relics in the middle of no where near the western front of the siege of Petersburg.

I opened up the back of my finger once from a broken bottle sticking out of the side of a hole. Never saw it. I'd not invest in costly gloves, you will wear them out quickly. With your palm issue, get a pair with padding in the right locations. Glass, torn rusty tin, broad heads (find them all the time). Also, consider getting a second, larger digger like a Sampson Tee handle. Anymore I rarely have to use my hand digger (Lesche).
And stop using your wife's hand lotion.

I detected for years without gloves , cut my fingers a few times and had some close calls so I figured I needed to start wearing them. It was difficult to get used to , I couldn't stand not being able to feel what I was working with. But I eventually got used to them and now I wont detect without them. In addition to giving you some protection they also keep your hands somewhat clean and I like that , my hands used to be all stained and chapped from being in the dirt a lot but not so much anymore.

I asked:
Who owns gloves that prevent a needle puncture?

Me, that's who.

http://turtleskin.com/law-enforcement-gear/gloveshttp://turtleskin.com/law-enforcement-gear/gloves

I should add that they're needle Resistant vs. Needle-proof. Nothing is 100% but these are better than a dirty needle stick even if they're pricey!

No, you don't ;) you own a pair that might reduce the chance of a puncture.

And that was my point, who's going to wear a $100 pair of gloves to detect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom