Rehashing the “frozen ground” controversy...

Temperature effects the conductibility of just about everything that conducts. Ice is not as conductive as water. I'm sure it has to have an effect on detectors. I'm wondering too if there could be an effect caused by moisture as it transitions from liquid to solid.

EXACTLY Jim,maybe one or the other doesn’t produce AS negative of an effect as the TRANSITION does. I have much studying to do on the subject!

Well I guess your theory holds water! Nice finds! When a guy has a lot of hours behind the coil in all seasons, running the same rig and settings over familiar dirt, he notices things like this...

Yes, frost skews signals for me too...even just clad stabbing, its hard to get an idea of exactly where the target is makes it a bit tougher than normal hitting the coin on the first attempt with the screwdriver...Great Hunt and post and comments!

That’s a frosty coil Mud! You’re right,like I said I knew something was rotten in Denmark just a few minutes in,and a lot of guys who hunt a lot can sense it right off the bat. It seems like the falses are more pronounced and the possible good signals are less pronounced,making differentiation at first very tough. It goes to show that there is always something to learn,even if that is something you don’t WANT to learn! As long as I can use it somehow and pass it on,that’s what matters....

I am sure glad I don't have to deal with frozen ground. I always run manual sensitivity and adjust it as needed. I get way better depth in manual than auto. Congrats on the finds, love those seated dimes.

You are indeed lucky Jason,this thing people love to talk about known as “the change of seasons” can be a real PITA in many ways. I agree that running manual sensitivity achieves performance,as long as the guy behind the wheel can understand the signals. That obviously comes with loads of time behind said “wheel”! I couldn’t understand much of anything no matter what in this situation,it was almost ALL just a garbled mess....nothing accurate,clean or even close 99% of the time. You’ve had those days,and they can be a real headscratcher. Just odd is all...
Thanks a lot on the finds,I’d say 5 of them were “I wonder why nobody dug this already” signals. Like,IMMEDIATE hole time. You know the ones...;)

I was chipping through frozen ground yesterday for clad!
Not much fun.
Totally amazing that you are killing those silver dimes like that, nice saves:shock:

Ughh! Well,at least you were chipping for yourself and not for Brad...he still owes you for that one so don’t let him forget,unless the debt was paid that is...
Well...when it locks up here for good I’ll be in the same boat...same place...doing what we do when desperation is at hand. But chipping or not,it sure beats the alternative,whatever THAT is!:grin:

I’m glad in a way that you guys can confirm what’s going on,and I know it’s been discussed before...but as I recall the solutions were slow to materialize. I don’t know if solutions exist.

Went out today for 30 min and found some ground i could dig started in park 2 with real jumpy clippy signals then slowed recovery speed from 6 down to 2 and the signals cleared up . Dug 2.36 in clad no silver . Going to a park tomorrow to see if it is the same.

Went out today for 30 min and found some ground i could dig started in park 2 with real jumpy clippy signals then slowed recovery speed from 6 down to 2 and the signals cleared up . Dug 2.36 in clad no silver . Going to a park tomorrow to see if it is the same.

Awesome,keep us updated with your experimentation!.....and depth of coins vs how good the response was please!

Some great looking Silver Coins Kevin. That fairgrounds have been very good to you. Mike and I tried again today and it did not go well. I was lucky to put the coil over a iffy and jumpy signal using the "Nox". Goofy numbers but the hole held a GW along with two Wheat's. Used the 3030 the first half the hunt and had the same experience as you. Only keeper was a pocket watch. Trapper

Last edited:
Wow wow wow!! Man Kev that’s a very nice group of coinage. Conditions like today and toss in a handful of nails and slaw...you did great. Today was almost a bust with some Wood hunting and feel your pain. I was lucky to even find my car in the lot. I was running the Anfibio again with the Garret Zlynk and that was a nice change but neither me or Trap did that great tho Trap squeezed out a GW to keep our silver streak in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great looking Silver Coins Kevin. That fairgrounds have been very good to you. Mike and I tried again today and it did not go well. I was lucky to put the coil over a iffy and jumpy signal using the "Nox". Goofy numbers but the hole held a GW along with to Wheat's. Used the 3030 the first half the hunt and had the same experience as you. Only keeper was a pocket watch. Trapper

Great job on the Silver

Interesting post IDX. First, good effort; willing to work in the cold, and punch through the frozen topsoil. Second, VERY nice late season silver digs! Third, good observations and write-up to discuss it. I don't have much cold weather hunting experience, but have had hunts with similar poor detecting capabilities; compared to normal days. I suspect multiple things are happening to produce these problems.
Couple thoughts: External forces like EMI, solar flares, partially frozen ground, etc. are usually beyond our control. Understanding them doesn't seem as important as understanding our detectors. With our current machines, there are only so many adjustments we can control, so work with what you got. Trial and error may produce improvements, and may even give clues about the unknown forces. Other creative solutions can help too; like using plastic bags and hand warmers, and tinfoil hats.
"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Then there is next level thinking: Understanding the roots of the problems, so we can create new solutions, like a new, improved EMI filter, solar flair blocker, gold isolator circuitry, or a cold weather program for my Nox. I hope you tap into the right group of minds on this level. I see the gears turning...

Some great looking Silver Coins Kevin. That fairgrounds have been very good to you. Mike and I tried again today and it did not go well. I was lucky to put the coil over a iffy and jumpy signal using the "Nox". Goofy numbers but the hole held a GW along with two Wheat's. Used the 3030 the first half the hunt and had the same experience as you. Only keeper was a pocket watch. Trapper

Thanks Trapper,a GW and a pocket watch are a nice pair to go home with also! We can deal with the cold,but the machines may not be so willing,or able. I did see at one time that they have a temperature operating range but forget what it was. I’ll have to revisit that. When YOU are using the CTX and no silver coins are found,you KNOW something is really off kilter!:grin:
I don’t even know why I’m up right now....more later.

Wow wow wow!! Man Kev that’s a very nice group of coinage. Conditions like today and toss in a handful of nails and slaw...you did great. Today was almost a bust with some Wood hunting and feel your pain. I was lucky to even find my car in the lot. I was running the Anfibio again with the Garret Zlynk and that was a nice change but neither me or Trap did that great tho Trap squeezed out a GW to keep our silver streak in place.

I was MORE than happy to have that kind of success Mike,it’s not frequent that a 4 silver hunt comes along in my places,not to mention 2 weeks in a row! Wayne did well the first week also with 3 and Craig pulled one as well....I think I mentioned something before but maybe not?....Hey,it is 3 am! Clear thinking isn’t my forte right now...but at least you found your car!:lol: Holler when you have time...

Interesting post IDX. First, good effort; willing to work in the cold, and punch through the frozen topsoil. Second, VERY nice late season silver digs! Third, good observations and write-up to discuss it. I don't have much cold weather hunting experience, but have had hunts with similar poor detecting capabilities; compared to normal days. I suspect multiple things are happening to produce these problems.
Couple thoughts: External forces like EMI, solar flares, partially frozen ground, etc. are usually beyond our control. Understanding them doesn't seem as important as understanding our detectors. With our current machines, there are only so many adjustments we can control, so work with what you got. Trial and error may produce improvements, and may even give clues about the unknown forces. Other creative solutions can help too; like using plastic bags and hand warmers, and tinfoil hats.
"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Then there is next level thinking: Understanding the roots of the problems, so we can create new solutions, like a new, improved EMI filter, solar flair blocker, gold isolator circuitry, or a cold weather program for my Nox. I hope you tap into the right group of minds on this level. I see the gears turning...

“Trial and error may produce improvements,and may even give clues about the unknown forces”...wise thinking indeed! We’re all so eager to make those finds that the last thing we WANT to do is tinker and take time away from the goal. But it’s the person who tinkers who is going to start to figure this out in a scientific and fact based way,and perhaps help to introduce solutions in the future.
Thanks Foragist,that’s an excellent post! Be safe hunting up there...

I was MORE than happy to have that kind of success Mike,it’s not frequent that a 4 silver hunt comes along in my places,not to mention 2 weeks in a row! Wayne did well the first week also with 3 and Craig pulled one as well....I think I mentioned something before but maybe not?....Hey,it is 3 am! Clear thinking isn’t my forte right now...but at least you found your car!:lol: Holler when you have time...

Dang it this old guys memory forgot to call ya. Too excited about digging and setting up my Z Lynk to my Anfibio kept me occupied. Text me when you get a chance tonight and I’ll call ya bro!! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom