my first time calling EOD

Karletto

so near italian border we were detecting on this hill along abandoned footpath. A lot trash came out and in the middle of it an italian ww2 hand granade. It is called also tomato because of red color. The irony is that the color was signaling danger but most victims were children. It is full of TNT therefore even more dangerous!
Being already 5 years in this hobby i immediately knew what it was...
It was my first time finding something like this and my first time calling EOD experts. :cool:

The crew came in a jeep just two guys (thought whole region will be on their feet lol). They were very organized never saw something like this. One waited in the jeep - as he said he couldnt leave the vehickle because after whole day of demining the pickup was full of stuff. :shock:
So the other guy took their detector and a pick and we start climbing into the hill. I know this hill so i brought them on the location from different footpath. Anyway in 15min we reached the spot. The pyrotechnician took a minute to look at it and said the bomb is ''armed''. He also explained the biggest problem is when they threw them in the snow - so the safety couldnt release by itself - and than you have full house.
Later i left the scene.
The discovery reached local newspaper - the bomb was ''suscesfully dismanteled and transported on safe location''.
My grandpa lost his hand as a kid playing with one of these so in a way i saved a hand. :roll:

20170304120029.jpg

breda35.png

Wow. Good thing you knew what you were looking at. You probably saved someone some pain. I wouldn't have been so lucky, I would have been flipping, cleaning, scratching on it trying to see what it was. Great save. Be careful out there.

Wow... that's crazy. I could just see myself trying to pry that out of the ground with my digger and have it go boom.

Id be dead lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom