• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

This weekend was almost a bust

OkieDigger

Forum Chipmunk
Forum Supporter
Best I could do was 7 wheats (oldest 1926D), a 1939 nickel, a pocket knife (old and rusted), part of a baby spoon and assorted clad and junk. My detecting partner did a little better with a 1941 Merc, 7 wheats (oldest 1919), a two mill Colorado sales tax token, clad and other junk. Would love to know how that Colorado sales tax token made it to nowhere Oklahoma.

Okie, you did better than me, with little time and alot of cold and snow, didn't even break a dollar in the clad finds.

It was a beautiful weekend here, but a little disappointing. We hit one house site from the late 1800's to early 1900's. The orginal house was gone, but the new (probably 1950's) house was rebuilt on the original stone foundation. The oldest coin we could pull out of that place was 1961, lol. We hunted an empty lot closer to downtown and managed to pull a few wheats, the nickel and the '41 Merc. We expected to find some older coins, but alas, we were wrong.

No, I don't think anyone beat me there. The old homes were apparently converted to apartment buildings in the 1960's. Those were torn down. I think a lot of dirt was dug and moved around. We only found the old coins around the edges of the property. All the good stuff is either too deep or dumped somewhere far away. The one house we detected was the only mystery. No old coins at all, but there were coins from the 1960's and up. Pretty strange.

I've never really gotten a "no" myself, Epi, but this past summer I did get a kind of, "I've changed my mind".
I knocked on the door of a local Pastor's home to see if I could detect behind the 150+ year old church that he preached in.
With permission granted, I commenced to swing along the back enbankment, walking down around the property. About a half hour into my search, the Pastor comes out to say that he thought I had crossed into the next-door-neighbor's property (no fences or markings around), and was very nice in telling me that maybe I should pack it up.
All-in-all I can understand why now, 'cause the next door neighbor to the Preacher's house was a funeral home, and they were jus' then lining up all the cars for a prosession to the cemetery (which I didn't notice, looking at the ground with my headphones on). Ooops! I inadvertantly looked up, smiled and waved at the hearse driver! Ooops again!
(Tough planet to get used to. There's jus' so many "laws". :shock:)

Wow, bad timing there Krom, but understandable. You're just being friendly is all. To answer your question Epi, so far I'd say I get about 50/50 on the yes/no at people's houses. Empty lots are almost always a yes (and these can produce good coins). If they say no, just say thanks and move on to the next house. It's a bit akward, but one yes makes it worth it most of the time.

BTW, there was one cool thing about last weekend. I found all three mints for 1945 wheats (P, D and S).

Also, OD... sometimes you come across people that are ecstatic about getting their property scanned over (they even smile and shake your hand)... whether it's to help find something they remember losing, or jus' the curiosity of what you're gonna find, and don't mind letting you keep what you find (unless, of course, you find something that you'd normally return to them anyway... then you don't mind handing it over).
Dem's th' people we're all looking for. ;)

Krom

I just wish I could get out with my detector, I haven't been out
for a couple of months now.
The weather hasn't been brilliant, and some of the farmers aren't
keen on us using the fields if it's too wet.

Back
Top Bottom