OB Wan

Hello everyone I'm OB Wan with my wife Lee.(Its a nick name,Most call me OBi) We live in the Cocoa area of Brevard Co. Fl. Completely new to the metal Detecting world. I'm "retired" (still work but no longer get paid for it:laughing:) which allows me to detect pretty much anytime. Lee still working in the medical field will detect as my partner when allowed off.....We've been reading everything we can get hold of information wise pertaining to the Detecting Laws and regulations of our area and Florida in general. We've found it confusing and very contradictory at the very least...Please, we can use all the help we can find. Any information you can share would be most depreciated....Clubs,groups in the area etc.?....

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Just did a search, here are a few links I found -
(can't say for sure how up to date some of the info might be, but if you find a local detecting club you can ask them)

https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/florida-beaches/florida-treasure-hunt-east-coast-shoreline-treasures.html

http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/club.cfm?st=FL

http://news.brevardtimes.com/2015/07/video-sharks-close-beach-in-cocoa-beach.html

https://blog.gardencommunitiesfl.com/2017/11/15/best-beaches-treasure-hunting-brevard-county-fl/

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

......We've been reading everything we can get hold of information wise pertaining to the Detecting Laws and regulations of our area and Florida in general. We've found it confusing and very contradictory at the very least..........

Huh ? It easy. Not confusing at all. You merely send me $100 (I accept paypal) and you can detect. I will permit it.

Now see? You read it on-line now. Therefore it must be true. What was so confusing about that ? :laughing:

But seriously now : Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. And beyond that: You're looking for the wedding ring your wife lost last week.

And again, anyone notice that these skittish posts always come from Florida ? Never any other east coast state. Despite the scores of beaches and inland sites that exist on the east coast.

It's the "shark attack" psychology. The moment any post or question appears, (shipwreck salvor, a past "scram", etc....) is the moment that someone else from the same locale wonders "gee, am I OK ?". So they too float the question. And the moment someone else from the locale sees those questions, they too float the question. And so on till infinity.

It doesn't matter how many people detect without issue. Nor ever gave the matter a moment's thought. Instead, the mere existence of the question simply feeds on itself. And no matter how many times other people answer it, that there's no problems, ........... the mere existence of the question, simply feeds the ongoing question. You can never put it to rest.

Oh well, better in FL than CA, haha

Welcome from Seneca, SC. I'm originally from Titusville, FL. I've got a buddy that lives in Port St. John that detects and he said it's very tricky to detect down there with all the laws. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome from the Florida Treasure coast.
Come down to the Sebastian area and visit the Mel Fisher museum in Sebastian and the McClarty state museum on A1A just south of the Sebastian bridge. Look thru the scrap book on the counter at the McClarty museum. At the Mel Fisher museum pick up a copy of the book "Shipwrecks near Wabasso Beach" by Earnie Richards.
Hit Cocoa Beach for modern drops. There is a club called the Treasure Coast Archaeological society. Good Luck.

..... I've got a buddy that lives in Port St. John that detects and he said it's very tricky to detect down there with all the laws.....

....Hit Cocoa Beach for modern drops. There is a club called the Treasure Coast Archaeological society....

A quick look at the map shows that Port S. John and Cocoa Beach are not that far apart. So why is it "tricky" for one person to find places to detect, while the next person(s) , in the exact same area, never lack for places to hunt ? :?:

I have a feeling that scgator's buddy is "over-thinking" things. I suppose there's not a single place in the USA, that ... if any hunter went knocking on enough doors, asking enough pencil pushers, that ....sure, they would not find "express allowances" or "red-carpets" rolled out for them. They might find someone who says "no", hence finding it "tricky".

We had a case here in CA, at a beach near me, where it's just always-ever been detected, since the dawn-of-time. Then one day, someone sent in an inquiry by hitting the "contact us" button of the state of CA beach-park administration website people. Someone in Sacramento sent back a "no" (based on prohibitions of "harvest and collect" verbiage). Yet, you can detect till you're blue in the face, and .... it's never an issue. Thus it's obvious they got a lame "safe" answer from some pencil jockey, that means nothing at all.

So too do I wonder sometimes, when someone says they "can't find a straight answer" or that it's "tricky", is merely a part of the daisy-chain of "no one cared till you asked" psychology.

Welcome from Oregon.! Fill you holes, take the trash, follow the rules, get permission! We need all the positive help we can get to keep this sport out of the hands of ner do wells who would wreck it with their selfishness. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom