Non-metallic, but my best find EVER! Hail to the Chief!

Dirt Nuker

Elite Member
So last week I was in Virginia at the Montpelier plantation of President James Madison as part of their archaeological program. Pretty cool week. Learned quite a bit. Who would pass on a free chance to detect the grounds of a former President even if you didn't get to keep anything?

Anyway, I was chasing probably my 25th nail. They love nails there. It tells quite a bit about when the land was used and can give them an idea on what the land was used for by the head and shape of the nail. So I hit another run-of-the-mill nail signal. I dig a simple plug in the god-awful Virginia soil and popped it up. On the side of the plug I see a glimpse of green. It was glass. I knelt down and picked it up and saw there was some writing on it. Took a look, fell back on my ass and said "Ho---ly sh*t!". One of the archaeologists comes over and I told him "You're not going to believe this" and I handed it over. His eyes popped out huge and he shouted "NO F***ING WAY!". Well, that drew a bit of a crowd in no time.

What I pulled was a wine bottle seal from the personal collection of President Madison. If it wasn't his, it belonged to his father but the staff seemed pretty sure it was President Madison's bottle.

Easily the best find I've ever found, even if it wasn't metal and was 100% pure luck. Doubt it will ever be on display since it's not intact but it's still pretty cool. Maybe one day the rest of the site will be excavated and more of the bottle will be found. I attached a pic of one that is in one piece.

28jp1k.jpg

Here's one that's intact.

24v4biq.jpg

Here's a better pic of what the bottle looks like:

2n80i7n.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY COW!!!!! YOU LUCKY DOG!!!! That is amazing!! Find of the year by one of us in my opinion!!

That is VERY cool...Good on ya for the hunt, find, and post...that was a great opportunity you had there that most of us will never get to experience, so I am glad you wrote it up for us!
Mud

That is VERY cool...Good on ya for the hunt, find, and post...that was a great opportunity you had there that most of us will never get to experience, so I am glad you wrote it up for us!
Mud

I'm with Mud . What an Amaizing opportunity . And a remarkable find to go with it. These kind of hunts are what make for great stories for a long long time.
👍
Dew

WOW! Absolutely phenomenal! I read an article about that program in Preservation magazine last year - what an amazing opportunity - so cool that you took advantage of it.... Would love to do the same myself some day. What are the odds of pulling that find! Did they excavate a larger area to look for more of the bottle?

Did they excavate a larger area to look for more of the bottle?
In later years they might excavate the area but it could be years away. They have other excavations planned for other areas. Excavating an area is a very long and detailed process. We got to do some of that as well. In our assigned grids we have several 10'x10' squares where we pinpoint every signal. Those signals are mapped on paper and later will be put into a computer grid. In that 10'x10' square we were allowed to dig only three targets. I saw a few squares with as much as 30 hits but you still only get to dig three.

It's pretty cool and I recommend the experience but Minelab isn't picking up the tab anymore so know that there is an expense for the week.

A local news crew stopped by and made us look pretty good. Take a look:
http://www.nbc29.com/story/33682264...d-artifacts-with-out-of-state-metal-detectors

Another edit: If you're interested in doing this yourself, there are spots open for next year. Minelab picked up the tab for us but now there will be a cost for participants. Plus you don't get to keep any of your finds but your lodging in the on-site 1850's house for the entire week and a couple meals are included in the price. Here's a link to the program:
https://www.montpelier.org/archaeology

Last edited:
Very interesting find! I would love to be involved in some professional excavations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom