Vacation to Cody, Wyoming, Billings, Montana and a corner of Idaho

Ambam

Hi all!

I've got a vacation coming up in 2 weeks. We'll be staying in Cody, Wyoming, visiting Billings, Montana and driving through Yellowstone to Idaho. I'd like to detect for about an hour in each state so I can "check them off" my "hunt the contiguous United States" map. I know there is a TON of federally protected and native lands in the area. Does anyone have recent, first hand knowledge of hunting in Cody or Billings? I'm fine with using a public park as my "check off" hunt. Looks like the road we'll be on into Idaho is Bureau of Land Management/National Forest so I should be ok to hunt one of the various developed roadside picnic spots.

Thanks for any information you can provide! Happy Hunting!

Wow, that's a great vacation plan. Been to Cody, Yellowstone a few time and the amazing beauty of this area is breath taking. Enjoy your vacation!

Montana should be fine, I think "Call me V" detects parks in the Billings area. As far as I know, there is no city in Montana that bans detecting. In Missoula and Great Falls you need a permit and can only dig with small lesche or probe. Otherwise wide open. There is no detecting in National Parks of course, and in Montana State parks there is no detecting unless you check with the Park Ranger, some state parks have areas that are not culturally or historically sensitive and you can detect there but be sure to check with the Park Ranger first.

Montana should be fine, I think "Call me V" detects parks in the Billings area. As far as I know, there is no city in Montana that bans detecting. In Missoula and Great Falls you need a permit and can only dig with small lesche or probe. Otherwise wide open. There is no detecting in National Parks of course, and in Montana State parks there is no detecting unless you check with the Park Ranger, some state parks have areas that are not culturally or historically sensitive and you can detect there but be sure to check with the Park Ranger first.

Be VERY careful in the MT State Parks.
I searched and searched for the rules after being told by the MT FW&P that I could not detect in any state park. I finally went to a district office and asked them to show me the rule, and they couldn't even find it. The lady was nice enough, and took my email address and sent me the page that outlined Rule 12.8.02 -- Property disturbance.
It lists what is prohibited in all MT state parks --- specifically item (g), which says " using a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer, or other metal detecting device except where otherwise authorized". I tried to upload a pdf of that page to this thread but it is too large of a file.
I printed it and carry it with me, and have showed rangers the part where is says " except where otherwise authorized". I have yet to be granted permission in any state park, even in ones with no cultural or historical significance.
Not saying you wont be more successful and I wish you luck.

I lived and detected in Billings for years until I recently moved to WY. Any of the parks and PUBLIC schools are OK. I would get permission to hunt the Metra, and the private schools. Id stay out of South Park since there are aggressive transients there, and if you decide to hunt Amend park, the greens guy wants you to hunt the big berms only. There are a few over concerned residents that might call the cops on you, but they are far and few between and the cops dont care as long as youre filling in the holes properly.

MTtrashdigger is correct about the MT state parks: no go zones.

Interesting comments. My mistake on the State Parks, as I though Lake Como here in the Bitterroot was one such park. Just did a double check it is USFS land not state park land.

Back
Top Bottom