Looking for a mentor in the Gonzales/Baton Rouge Louisiana Area

Smurfe

Hello, I live in Gonzales Louisiana. I just ordered a detector last night and am looking for a mentor locally in the Gonzales/Baton Rouge area. If you are in the area or know of groups in the area, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Welcome

Hello, I live in Gonzales Louisiana. I just ordered a detector last night and am looking for a mentor locally in the Gonzales/Baton Rouge area. If you are in the area or know of groups in the area, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the hobby and forum. We are quite familiar with that area even though we live 3 hours away.
It should be a super area to detect with much history. There are many parks and places tucked out of the way where you should be able to hunt without anybody bothering you. Order a pin-pointer also. A pin-pointer like the Garrett Pro-Pointer or similar will reduce the energy and time that you have to dig. It is hot and humid in that area and it will keep you from becoming fatigued.
If nobody responds as a mentor, just start detecting and digging. It will not take long to learn how the output of your machine correlates to what you dig. Many detectors are so good that if they are used without discrimination, they will literally detect rust where iron used to be.
If you have access to something wide open like a plowed field where we can talk, detect and dig freely, I will come down for a visit, just pm me.
What detector did you buy?
(Edit: Saw your other post. You made a good choice in detectors.)

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby and forum. We are quite familiar with that area even though we live 3 hours away.
It should be a super area to detect with much history. There are many parks and places tucked out of the way where you should be able to hunt without anybody bothering you. Order a pin-pointer also. A pin-pointer like the Garrett Pro-Pointer or similar will reduce the energy and time that you have to dig. It is hot and humid in that area and it will keep you from becoming fatigued.
If nobody responds as a mentor, just start detecting and digging. It will not take long to learn how the output of your machine correlates to what you dig. Many detectors are so good that if they are used without discrimination, they will literally detect rust where iron used to be.
If you have access to something wide open like a plowed field where we can talk, detect and dig freely, I will come down for a visit, just pm me.
What detector did you buy?
(Edit: Saw your other post. You made a good choice in detectors.)

Thank you so much for the reply. It is very encouraging. I hope to find some spots to go. I did not grow up around here so I don't really know anyone that has a suitable property to hunt. I have been in the area for a bit over 20 years but most everyone I know is sub-division transplants like me. I am just starting to look for public areas available.

What is sad is that up in Illinois where I grew up, my parents (with whom I have an extremely strained relationship) own 1200 prime acres to metal detect that could potentially be some of the best land to hunt in the midwest. Their house is over 100 years old and is built on the site of a house that was over 100 years old when a tornado destroyed it. There was a town that has been gone for 175 years and the road they live on was one of the main highways across the state in the early 1800's. There were also numerous Native American encampments on their property. I found tons of beads and arrowheads when I was a kid. To boot, there is a famous landmark cemetery that has drawn ghost hunters for years that their property surrounds. Sadly, they are 800 miles away and we do not get along at all. :(

Back
Top Bottom