So angry...

gismapper

I'm so glad I went metal detecting tonight. But not for the reason you would expect. I'll try to keep this story as short as I can because quite frankly, I'm outraged. I'm actually furious. I'll keep my cool and not cuss here even though I really want to.

Late this afternoon, some ignorant guy made an absolute war zone out of the Lionville Youth Association park in Lionville, Pa. I mean, next time he should just take his vehicle and do donuts in the field if he wants to rip it up more efficiently.

I got there around 4:15 and saw the guy detecting so I went around to the opposite side of the park. Not that I mind saying hi but the sun was getting low and time was short. I finished up 45 minutes later on the side of the park the guy was at (he was long gone by then). Along the lacrosse field and playground, I started seeing holes.
Craters. Some not even covered, the plug just laying there, flipped over. Most of the dirt never made it back into the hole. None of them even got stepped on to pack them down.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm not exaggerating, there were a good 20 holes...just a big ugly mess. I didn't have time to take pix of all of them, but here are the first ones I found.

I mean, I had to seriously stop a few times and ask myself if there was some kind of construction going on.

And, far be it from me to criticize another guy's recovery technique, but seriously...12 to 18 inch wide "plugs" for a target 2-4 inches deep??? Just stupid.

So I spent 45 minutes filling in his holes and fixing the grass as best I could. I hit that park pretty regularly...the last thing I need is people thinking I did that.

I posted the park's name, hoping this will get back to him. I doubt he'll see this posted here, but even if someone knows someone who might know him, he's gotta get his act together and stop trashing the places he hunts. I cringe to think of where else he might have gone.

I practiced on my own lawn for weeks before I had the nerve to dig a park. For all the newbies...i know we all start somewhere and hopefully improve, but please....for the love of the hobby, don't make things bad for others who detect public property. If you wouldn't want your lawn looking like you leave a park, you need to improve your technique.

I'm glad I went detecting tonight, just to minimize the damage this jerk made.

</soapbox>

Last edited:
I too would be hot. Thanks on behalf on all responsible detectorist for righting some idiots wrong

Probably another one of those goobers who just watched the MD guys on TV digging $500 CW boolits, and 1,000 year-old coins :roll:, so he ran out and got a 'tector so he could get some too.

I'd report it to the Park Manager, and be sure to tell them you fixed the guys mess best you could. They'll know then it wasn't you in the event you get questioned next time you're detecting there. Let them know the MDing Community frowns upon that sort of a slob (my apologies to slobs for the comparison), and they are an insult to the hobby.

If you see him again, introduce yourself and get his name, find out what he drives. I also give permission to give him a swift kick in the backside :yes:

I too would be hot. Thanks on behalf on all responsible detectorist for righting some idiots wrong

You're welcome...i can't imagine the mentality to leave such a mess.

I'd report it to the Park Manager, and be sure to tell them you fixed the guys mess best you could. They'll know then it wasn't you in the event you get questioned next time you're detecting there.

I thought about it, but I'd still feel better off keeping the lowest profile possible and not involving the authorities. Never saw that kind of damage before and I'm hoping it's a one-off. But if it happens again, I'll have to do something, even if it's at the risk of getting md'ing banned in the whole township.

The only time saw such destruction was when the local drive in theater was being bulldozed. So many holes looked like a war zone.

Good for you to limit the damage done by goons.

If it's a manicured, currently used sports field, you shouldn't even be digging holes with a digger. Using your pinpointer, a screwdriver and pin-pointing ability on your metal detector, a signal can easily be picked up with the pinpointer, located with a screw driver and then just popped out of the ground. Once you perfect this method, your finds will easily double, and you won't get banned from that area. It only takes one A$$ to close an area. Thanks to you for filling in what holes you did.

Here is a video link on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLvboex7sM

Attachments

• Ban2.jpg
    Ban2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 319
At this point in my mding career I make it a Pt to watch other mders when I see them if I have time and am not going somewhere. I've never seen anyone making terrible holes, but u never know.

At this point in my mding career I make it a Pt to watch other mders when I see them if I have time and am not going somewhere. I've never seen anyone making terrible holes, but u never know.

Yep...Pretty sure that's going to be my approach from now on.

It also infuriates me when I see open/messy plugs. A few months ago I was hunting at a long foreshore park when I came across a large hole in the grass with a few grass bundles beside it. And the rubbish was left in the hole! I felt bad because that I couldn't really backfill the hole as they was no soil around it, but it serves them right that they missed $25 in coins lying 20m beside their crater.

He only cares about himself most likely and lacks common sense. I once saw someone out one a school yard with a detector, a full size dirt shovel and a 5 gallon home Depot bucket. I was driving by on my way somewhere. I'm a fisherman but I'll say that they can be lousy pigs also.

This happened here 2 years ago. My wife and I went to the local park to detect one afternoon and there were 2 guys there detecting when we arrived. They left soon after we got there, it was clear they were not local and had traveled some distance to get here. After they left people began approaching us ranting about all of the open holes we left at the other end of the park. The only thing that saved us was that a local off duty police officer was there with his family and was kind enough to step in and tell everyone that we had just arrived and have not been to that end of the park. I guess they figured they don't live here so it does not matter if they fill their holes, some people suck!

Not to often will I find this happening in our town.
When I see a newbe, I introduce myself. We talk a while. I can tell he is new. I than tell them to leave the shovel at home. I show them my screwdriver and my digging knife. I show them how to poke in the ground or dig a plug.
Most of the time they understand. I will even go tecting with them to have fun , and so I can see how they are doing.
Now some of them will help others.
KEN :D

Back
Top Bottom