Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Elite Member

Default AT PRO HELP in a bad way

I have been using my AT PRO for over three years but lately it has been chattering like crazy, and then sometimes it doesn't make a sound at all. I mean not even over metal objects, unless you bump it, which hasn't worked lately. This is driving me crazy. I have change the batteries and nothing. If you know of a fix please let me know. We are one, if you know what I mean..... by the way I have done the factory reset but it did help. I feel like I know this machine really well but this sux.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 PM

Clean coil and coil cover well. Clean and check coil cable. Clean lower shaft.
Recheck cable connections. Check to make sure batteries are making good connection. Make sure battery contacts are clean. Maybe these suggestions help.

It sometimes helps to open up control box and tighten any screws holding down printed circuit board/s. Check and reseat any cable ribbons on circuit board ( if any are present).

Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Do what TreasureHawk said. And also try the factory reset. Turn on machine, push and hold power button until you hear the double beep and it will be in Standard coin mode. I do that any time I switch my coil or disconnect it.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

I switched coils too and nothing worked. We check the battery connections

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 PM

go getcha a V3i.........

Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

Have you tried shifting the frequency?

<)))>{

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

May have to send it in to garrett for repairs,I know I need to get pinpoint fixed.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Detroit View post
I have been using my AT PRO for over three years but lately it has been chattering like crazy, and then sometimes it doesn't make a sound at all. I mean not even over metal objects, unless you bump it, which hasn't worked lately. This is driving me crazy. I have change the batteries and nothing. If you know of a fix please let me know. We are one, if you know what I mean..... by the way I have done the factory reset but it did help. I feel like I know this machine really well but this sux.
I had a similar problem with mine about 5 months after I bought it. It suddenly started chattering but it would still pick up a target. I used it for another hour or two like that and could sometimes pick out a real signal from the chatter. Then it suddenly lost almost all sensitivity. It would pick up an aluminum can from about 2 inches.

I had to send it back to Garrett and it worked fine when I got it back. I don't remember everything they did too it but it was pretty extensive. It was under warranty so I just had to pay to ship it to them.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 AM

I had a similar problem with mine just before the 2 year mark. While using my 8.5x11 coil, I noticed it was very chattery and didn't seem to be quite right, but I was hunting a new area and thought that was the issue. After factory resets, freq shifts, and new batteries, I began checking my connections and noticed when I manipulated the coil wire connection at the control box, I could duplicate the issue. I swapped out the coil for my 5x8, and it worked perfect again.
I contacted Garrett, and was very impressed with what they did. After explaining the issue, the customer service rep sent me a brand new 8.5x11" coil, and said, "test out the new coil, if it works just send us your old one back"! No questions, no hassle!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 AM
Elite Member

Well. Gotta tell you I think you have a major problem. I had the same problem but mine was still under warranty. Sent mine in and Garrett repaired it. Had to ask what the problem was, Believe it was Rusty who I dealt with there.

My ATP began to chatter a little and became worse over a few weeks until it was constant. Nothing helped, and Rusty went over it with me on the phone while I tried everything he mentioned. Sent it in. It was a computer problem of some sort. He said they reloaded the software, problem fixed, been good for 4 years.

Call Garrett and Good Luck.