• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett AT Series Are Ring Magnets

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
a1_zps9f8rxnbu.jpg~original

It poured rain this afternoon, so I opted to get my rings sorted out and prepare to take photos of them. Here's my setup. I bought a photo tent a few years back, and use my macro lens on the camera. Some of the results surprise me, as I have never taken any photography courses. I kind of read about it and practiced. It's kind of like learning to use a metal detector, only you use your eyes instead of your ears.

a6_zpsrgsbttdu.jpg~original

Here's the complete totals for this year. About half were found in the water, the other half were on land. The key to finding them is to hunt places where lots of people congregate. It's better if the grass is thick and long, as real short grass or trampled grass allows a lot of good finds to be eyeballed, picked up by people without metal detectors. Check out those odd signals. The smooth ones in the 50's can be gold. But, I have also dug gold rings in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's (VDI readings) Where they read on the machine is dependent on their mass, diameter, what the gold is mixed with and any oxidation on the gold. There is no such thing as a gold detector which can easily find gold. If someone ever tries to sell you one, walk away. Finding gold is a lot of work. You have to dig a lot of trash to get lucky! Silver rings are easy......they generally give a VDI reading in the 80's.

a5_zpsrxcjeeni.jpg~original

Here's what the AT MAX found. Quite a few came out of previously hunted spots. Hunting in true all metal with the iron audio running at 44 allowed me to hear those real deep whispers, unattainable with my other VLF detectors. The Garrett ATX PI does get to those depths. But, you end up digging everything, which is fine in hunted out areas. You usually get the finds which others missed.

a2_zpshpq5ap8n.jpg~original

The AT PRO / AT MAX are no slouches. I took the AT PRO on holidays this past summer, to Lake Huron and got some nice gold rings. The Audio is very unique, and the unit bangs real hard on coins and rings.

a3_zps6pyt5bta.jpg~original

I took out the ACE 400 few times this year. It has found lots of rings. It's a great land machine for parks and schools.

a4_zpsdginsfxo.jpg~original

Here's my finds this year with the Garrett ATX PI detector. I love using this one in the spring and fall fresh water lakes, hunting places which have been pounded to death. Lucky for PI (pulse induction) users, other hunters have already removed a lot of the trash, leaving some of the real deep targets for easy pickings. This machine has paid for itself years ago.

Forgive my ignorance as we cannot dig parks, lakes ect where i live, but you say in the title that the AT series are ring magnets, then quote that you basically dig everything and just get lucky?
So are the AT series just lucky detectors, or are they doing something different to every other machine?
Would you not get the same results digging everthing with most detectors?

Some nice rings there by the way!

There is no such thing as a gold detector which can easily find gold. If someone ever tries to sell you one, walk away. Finding gold is a lot of work. You have to dig a lot of trash to get lucky!
But, you end up digging everything, which is fine in hunted out areas. You usually get the finds which others missed.

Would you not get the same results digging everthing with most detectors?

Of course you would, but like the rest, this is just another advertisement for Garrett. You need to see all the other identical posts on every MD forum on the internet.

LOL....why do you think Garrett model is posted in the pics. OP should have to pay Vendor fee to post :laughing:

Of course you would, but like the rest, this is just another advertisement for Garrett. You need to see all the other identical posts on every MD forum on the internet.

LOL....why do you think Garrett model is posted in the pics. OP should have to pay Vendor fee to post :laughing:

OP=Shill

I gotta say,if you dig everything with the rig of your choice you might find a ring.,but that’s not what the OP here is saying.
The at pro in my opinion is the best single frequency machine made for finding and identifying rings.Ive had many machines that don’t hit rings well at all.The at pro hits them hard,and the majority of rings lost on land either fall in the high 40s or the mid 60s on the at pro,my experience anyhow.So you can be selective in what you do dig and don’t dig.Of course you might miss a piece of jewelry by doing that but also a ton of junk.
And there’s another forum we all know about,that each machine has its own following.Look up the tesoro dig it all section and see how many gold rings are there..Then go look at th Garrett at series section,,no comparison..As a matter of fact,look at all sections compared to The Garrett at series,and I’ll bet all put together don’t have half of what the Garrett at series section does on gold rings found and posted.
And most jewelry and rings are lost in water,so having a awesome ring machine that’s water proof is a no brainer..
The proof is in the pudding,Garrett at pro is in my opinion the best ring machine made today.Im a believer in the Garrett at series 100 percent

I gotta say,if you dig everything with the rig of your choice you might find a ring.,but that’s not what the OP here is saying.
The at pro in my opinion is the best single frequency machine made for finding and identifying rings.Ive had many machines that don’t hit rings well at all.The at pro hits them hard,and the majority of rings lost on land either fall in the high 40s or the mid 60s on the at pro,my experience anyhow.So you can be selective in what you do dig and don’t dig.Of course you might miss a piece of jewelry by doing that but also a ton of junk.
And there’s another forum we all know about,that each machine has its own following.Look up the tesoro dig it all section and see how many gold rings are there..Then go look at th Garrett at series section,,no comparison..As a matter of fact,look at all sections compared to The Garrett at series,and I’ll bet all put together don’t have half of what the Garrett at series section does on gold rings found and posted.
And most jewelry and rings are lost in water,so having a awesome ring machine that’s water proof is a no brainer..
The proof is in the pudding,Garrett at pro is in my opinion the best ring machine made today.Im a believer in the Garrett at series 100 percent
No doubt about it the AT pro is a cherrypicking fun detector and a joy to use.
Just wish it was ergonomic.
Yes I am still getting an Equinox!!!!:lol:

Maybe that's why then that the AT Series finds more rings, being waterproof, or owners like the OP are more vocal about it, or being a cheap water machine that there's more AT series machines in use etc

I'd bet ctx owners would say they find their share?

I like posting here. It makes you and a few others so darn mad. I actually spend hours in the field searching for items. It hurts when real finds are posted, eh? Unlike a few who spend hours and hours on the forums spreading discontent.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, it's a hobby, and whatever detector you use, I hope you have fun and get some great finds!

:gottaluv:

I have been using Garrett for a very long time. I know them very well, and can often times give a fairly good guess as to what is under the coil. The tones, audio and iron audio option really helps when looking for rings.

Learning most detectors very well will give the user an edge, as there are many small quirks to be learned, which are not in the manual, but learned from lots of useage.

Good luck with your hobby!

Maybe that's why then that the AT Series finds more rings, being waterproof, or owners like the OP are more vocal about it, or being a cheap water machine that there's more AT series machines in use etc

I'd bet ctx owners would say they find their share?

I bet the CTX owners do find their share too. It is water proof, which is a big bonus.

I would guess that the announcement of the Equinox has caused detector sales to slow to a crawl while everybody waits anxiously. It's the main reason I don't have the Max yet.

I would guess that the announcement of the Equinox has caused detector sales to slow to a crawl while everybody waits anxiously. It's the main reason I don't have the Max yet.

Yep I was about to buy a used e trac,safari or explorer xs. Then they announced the Equinox!
Great timing! Its way lighter than those so I'm ready for it when comes out.

the guy puts up a cheerful friendly post and people get all negative on him whats with all the hate

LOL , do you mean like your "buddy" Hunter GT ? Derp !

Starting to get weirdo creeper status the way you keep prattling on about me.

For the record...I fully admit that First Texas sponsors my YouTube channel. Always have.

A shill is the opposite and never admits affiliation.

The more you know...

Back
Top Bottom