Fiskars BigGrip Digger Modified

barnett25

Hello!

I modified a Fiskars BigGrip digging tool because I needed a cheap digger, but I hated the fork tines on the end. They would get stuck on roots and made it difficult to "saw" through the ground to dig a plug. I just used a hacksaw to cut off the tines, then used a belt sander to pretty it up and put a bevel on the edge for easier digging.

It is probably a bit short for some, but it is really sturdy and I have been very happy with it in the clay and topsoil I dig in. Pretty comfortable with the big handle and the saw edge seems to be perfect to saw through small roots without being so overly aggressive to get caught on them.

Pretty cheap and readily available at all of the local stores for under $10.

I have attached before and after pictures.

Attachments

• 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,026
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 848
Well done sir. I cut mine with a pointed end and it has been going strong for 6 months. Touch up the edge every once in a while. Great low budget DIY digger!

Looks good, hope it holds up for you. I had one as my first digger but broke it right at weld in under a month. Wasn't even using much pressure on it. I do know they will replace them for free if you send them in but for the price of the shipping I could just buy a new one so never bothered.

Well done sir. I cut mine with a pointed end and it has been going strong for 6 months. Touch up the edge every once in a while. Great low budget DIY digger!

Thanks! I had considered a pointed end, but for the digging style I use this works really well as the blunt end makes it much easier to scoop dirt out of the bottom of a hole.

Looks good, hope it holds up for you. I had one as my first digger but broke it right at weld in under a month. Wasn't even using much pressure on it. I do know they will replace them for free if you send them in but for the price of the shipping I could just buy a new one so never bothered.

So far it's been good, but we will see. I don't expect too much out of a tool this inexpensive, but it would be frustrating to have one break the way you describe.

Mine has been going strong for 6 months so far.
It's definitely not a crowbar by any means,
But a perfectly serviceable digger for the money spent.
Kept sharp it makes quick work of any park soil I've encountered.

So far it's been good, but we will see. I don't expect too much out of a tool this inexpensive, but it would be frustrating to have one break the way you describe.

I have two. First one broke. I filled out a form on their website and that sent me a new one. No cost to me.

That replacement they sent and one I bought to hold me over meanwhile have both held up well. More welds on them.

I do use a lesche now but keep both Fiskers on standby, they're good. Nice mod!

I wish I had know they were warrantied, I had one and broke it after about 6 months of hard digging. Chucked it and bought another one

I know what you mean about the forked end. A problem I sometimes have is, I'll cut a plug and then can't find a signal in the hole with my pinpointer, only to notice a pull tab stabbed on the forked tip of my digger!!

Back
Top Bottom