Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Supporter

Default thoughts on these new releases.

Ive been looking at the impact, tesero Mojave and now the at max and have been thinking about these new releases please tell me if I'm missing something. Arent these detectors basically the same detectors as previous versions with a couple more bells and whistles. The at max looks like a at pro and at gold in one control box, I was disappointed when I saw it I thought garret was coming out with something totally new. I look at the videos of the impact and to me it just looks like a racer 2 with a couple more bells and whistles but basically the same plat form. I too thought it was gonna be something totally new. I mean cant someone come up with a lite weight detector to compete with the deus with rechargeable batteries? I know the at series is a solid detector but it just looks like a rehash of something they already had much like the new ace series. The impact looks the same to me,I know vlf can only go so far but come on what about lite weight, mutiple frq< which the impact has, rechargeable batterys, which the impact kills aa batteries in 8 hours I mean that's a joke. I have been active on the forums for over a year now and have watched the hype around detectors and the new releases MX SPORT included and its kinda a big let down for me. There will be brand homers who will see this and say blah blah . You guys who are smarter than me might can answer this question. Does it just cost to much for a company to design a new platform to build from? There will be people out there who are tickled to death about these new units but I was wanting something more ,maybe something that would compete with deus on weight for one feature and rechargeable batteries which some look at as a negative but for those of us who have a detector that has it its a very big plus. Whats you guys thought on this topic? I know thought will vary widly but should make for a good discussion.

Last edited by calabash digger; 05-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Elite Member

Yeh, I haven't seen anything that would make me set down my Deus.

AT Max seems ok if you didn't already own an ATP or ATG and we're in the market for something like that but I wouldn't sell my ATG to get one.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Elite Member

Nothing new, but some things done different and better!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Supporter

please explain.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Elite Member

It goes to 11 now...

<)))>{
Attached Images

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
Ive been looking at the impact, tesero Mojave and now the at max and have been thinking about these new releases please tell me if I'm missing something. Arent these detectors basically the same detectors as previous versions with a couple more bells and whistles. The at max looks like a at pro and at gold in one control box, I was disappointed when I saw it I thought garret was coming out with something totally new. I look at the videos of the impact and to me it just looks like a racer 2 with a couple more bells and whistles but basically the same plat form. I too thought it was gonna be something totally new. I mean cant someone come up with a lite weight detector to compete with the deus with rechargeable batteries? I know the at series is a solid detector but it just looks like a rehash of something they already had much like the new ace series. The impact looks the same to me,I know vlf can only go so far but come on what about lite weight, mutiple frq< which the impact has, rechargeable batterys, which the impact kills aa batteries in 8 hours I mean that's a joke. I have been active on the forums for over a year now and have watched the hype around detectors and the new releases MX SPORT included and its kinda a big let down for me. There will be brand homers who will see this and say blah blah . You guys who are smarter than me might can answer this question. Does it just cost to much for a company to design a new platform to build from? There will be people out there who are tickled to death about these new units but I was wanting something more ,maybe something that would compete with deus on weight for one feature and rechargeable batteries which some look at as a negative but for those of us who have a detector that has it its a very big plus. Whats you guys thought on this topic? I know thought will vary widly but should make for a good discussion.
Calabash regarding the Max vs the Deus I think there are a couple of things to consider.
One is price of the Max vs Deus. The Max is very cost friendly and you get a lot of detector with the Max. Now with the wireless headphones and backlight those two items alone make the Max an inviting machine

Two, the Max is waterproof. I hunt in rain and water and that is something that I wouldn't do with a Deus. I don't have a Deus so I can't speak for it's capabilities but users love them so I would offer that it's a great machine. The Max being a water machine doesn't allow for wireless coils like the Deus.

The Deus and Impact are often compared to one another. Each having their strengths. I love reading all the comparisons between the two from different users. It appears that even though they don't do exactly the same thing , both are very strong detectors.

Which brings us back to your point of something new. I was hoping for a simultaneous multi frequency Max. But looking at the current machines that have multi frequency capabilities (namely minelab) with a screen, the cost is significantly higher. What will the next First Texas detector be ? With the drop in prices of their current lineup we know something new is on the horizon just like when Garrett dropped their prices. If I had to guess it will be First Texas with a new platform. Whites is working on a hybrid VLF/Pulse which lends to the intrigue. Will they introduce a new platform as well ?

Now you have Detech and Rutus in the picture. Both are very fast machines with the ability to pick out of iron. Neither are waterproof but the Rutus allows you a lot of adjustment in regards to frequency control SO my question to you is , what exactly would you like to see in a new detector other than imaging ?

BTW , I hope this stays as a level headed discussion vs a bash discussion.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Calabash,

First of all Deus is not everyone's answer to detecting in all venues ,,even me.
But I do like it.

Fact,,,Xp didn't make the Deus first,,,actually Xp Golmaxx came before Deus.
Actually I could make a case a Deus in merely a Xp Goldmaxx power detector with a meter.

So Deus too built off of really the same platform,,just Deus is wireless totally.

The manufacturers are in business to make profits,,just like some of the detectorists here on this forum who are I suppose own businesses.

The market is tight right now,,all manufacturers are looking for cracks to get into with metal detector models.
It is tough.

Now, think about this,,,wonder if Minelab would have made and released fbs units and sold in USA in the 1940s here,,,would some of the names we here for example White's, Fisher, Tesoros,,would they have even got off the ground???

Yeah,,Deus is first totally wireless detector,,nice one in performance too,,and Xp is actually one of the more young detector manufacturers,,,how come they could do,,but the older manufacturers couldn't or didn't first??

Detectors are like autos,,in a lot ways,,we all don't drive Ford or Chevys,,so folks have choices of detector models.

All will find metal,,,a great deal of them have similar depth too.

Manufacturers must consider how much they intend to spend on R&D too.
Notice the AT Max uses a lot of the same parts as AT Pro,,this was not an accident,,a decision to save money up front.
This doesn't make AT Max any less unworthy IMO.

Some folks find a detector and they bond with it so much,,,if a better performing detector even was released they would be hard pressed to buy.

We can even see,,some of the Minelab fbs/fbs2 idols,,,they slept with these detectors under their pillows,,,but now that a few years of Deus reports being had,,post on forums.,,some of the Minelab once lovers are finding out Deus and other model detectors do have something nice to offer performance wise.

In the end,,,it is all about having choices of different models.
And a person hopefully tries to find their detector of choice they can afford and will do at least most of what they have planned to do with it.

Remember the mighty Ace 250 is likely still the most sold in numbers metal detector in the world.
Is it the best??
Nope

Does it matter??
Ask Garrett,,I would think they love the profits they had endured over the years by making.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Supporter

Good points to ponder I guess everyone is not looking for the same features and it's a personal choice thing and my choices are not the same as others a lot of times

Old 05-13-2017, 02:23 PM

R&D is expensive. Retooling for new injection or vacuum formed plastics is expensive as well. That's why manufacturers don't change too often. Think Bounty Hunter's muffler on a stick or Whites lunch box on a stick. I agree that lighter is better, though. As far as the techn ology improving, seems like the earth shattering changes come from the younger companies. I think there's a lot of really interesting machines available now. I just traded my mx sport to RT6 Detectors for a closet queen AKA Sorex pro. Just got it in this week. Been reading up on it. Very impressive (and light). Played with it in the yard a little. I think I'm going to get along well with it. Like the weight and the tones. Lots of customization. Really like the hodograph.
Plus, give the max some time. I bet Garrett really upped the horsepower.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by NCDFX View post
R&D is expensive. Retooling for new injection or vacuum formed plastics is expensive as well. That's why manufacturers don't change too often. Think Bounty Hunter's muffler on a stick or Whites lunch box on a stick. I agree that lighter is better, though. As far as the techn ology improving, seems like the earth shattering changes come from the younger companies. I think there's a lot of really interesting machines available now. I just traded my mx sport to RT6 Detectors for a closet queen AKA Sorex pro. Just got it in this week. Been reading up on it. Very impressive (and light). Played with it in the yard a little. I think I'm going to get along well with it. Like the weight and the tones. Lots of customization. Really like the hodograph.
Plus, give the max some time. I bet Garrett really upped the horsepower.
I love the tones on the sorex too.

I wish manufacturers,,some at least would offer more than one tone scheme on some their detector models.

Like offer the tones like sorex,,the Deus, and maybe one other like etrac.
Just a thought.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:18 PM
Supporter

Fully agree here Calabash! Hell, all Garrett had to do was get rid of those worthless camlocks, eliminate all the other modes except Pro Zero, jack it up $100, call it something cool like the 'AtPro Plat' and take it right straight to the bank! Maybe throw in a free hat even... Sheeeit!..most Pro and Gold runners dont even use the PP feature, let alone all that other folderol...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:43 PM

I would call a detector improved or a new if it could actually distinguish a gold ring from a pull tab .

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Pastor View post
I would call a detector improved or a new if it could actually distinguish a gold ring from a pull tab .
The culprit here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can

Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

I am happy to see improvements in detectors , even if they are small ones.

I think you are ready for the new machines that work like my down imaging on fish finders lol. Ones that show the underground targets before you dig like a civil war button, like i see individual fish on my finder. Well maybe someday.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Supporter

(clear view) garmins term for it on a detector would be killer lol

Old 05-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
The culprit here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can
Thank you for this link.
If I ever meet Ermal Fraze, I am going to kick him squarely in the balls

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

Calabash,
I agree with others that the detector companies are in business to make a profit.
Whatever edge they have over their competitors (even if it's perceived more than real) will get them more sales.
Perhaps the sales of new AT PRO's was slipping and this is Garret's way to overcome it financially.
I will not be ordering an AT Max because I do not think the slight improvements are worth $600.
I have a perfectly functioning AT PRO.
When and if it fails, and I need to replace it, then I would strongly consider the Max.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

I think Garrett just fixed or improved the biggest complaints about the at pro and gold, and put it in the max..Gotta remember , a lot of detectorist are senior citizens, retired. No offense guys if that's you.lol.
But the bigger numbers were a great improvement for people with poor eyesight, and they're small even for good eyes.Backlight apeals for those who can't get out much during daylight hours,, that's me most of the time With work.The wireless headphones ar a big plus also,,nice not to be charging everything all the time,just charging the headphones is nice.
I know that's just minor things to some, but to others who like the at pro its enough to cross over to the at max,, and performance wise only time and users evaluation will tell.
At pro is a winner, I expect the at max will be too for those who need the extra options.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Supporter

I see we all have different preferences, for me I would rather charged my machine( like charging a cell phone) than to have to change and buy batteries all the time. Just shows we are all different in our choices,

Old 05-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

I see we all have different preferences, for me I would rather charged my machine( like charging a cell phone) than to have to change and buy batteries all the time. Just shows we are all different in our choices,
Under normal use, where are most cell phone issues?

<)))>{