Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Sound examples

Been reading alot, some more, and then some more and I keep seeing references to understanding the sounds your machine is making. Words like hollow, chatty, choppy are often used. I even used a couple of descriptive words myself such as bee-doop.

Can anyone point me to perhaps a video or audio of examples of what those types of sounds are? Or at least give better definitions of what the various sounds sound like?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Elite Member

Look for videos where someone is using the same machine you are...

Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
Look for videos where someone is using the same machine you are...
I have Capt. But none of them seem to spend much time on talking about the tones unless it is a really good tone. Most vids focus on the "good" tones and gloss over the iffy ones.

I'd really like to find something where I can hear a tone that is "hollow", "chirpy", "short" and the others, and have them identified as such.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Elite Member

https://youtu.be/T1ZdjH-1ekE
An incredibly important thing to learn,while COIN HUNTING,is that the signal should be coming from a single point in the ground,not 2 different places as you sweep back and forth. View my other one also....https://youtu.be/iqtCrr0eEpg regarding nails and what the response itself can sound like and more importantly,ACT like.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 PM
Elite Member

I've come to determine that discrimination is useless, You have to dig everything expect iron.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by needler420 View post
I've come to determine that discrimination is useless, You have to dig everything expect iron.
To achieve what? And what in Godís name are you using?
Seriously,for coin hunting in turf,when targets start getting past 8-9Ē with a stock coil,things can get a bit weird depending on soil. However,that can be adjusted for somewhat by KNOWING that the soil is causing a degradation of info. And of course trash could skew a signal but overall,PROPER use of discrimination for a particular site is key. Digging WAY deep on the beach? Then yes,itís way too risky to pass up the deep rotten sounding targets as they could be something fantastic.
Now whereís that damn beach??

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
https://youtu.be/T1ZdjH-1ekE
An incredibly important thing to learn,while COIN HUNTING,is that the signal should be coming from a single point in the ground,not 2 different places as you sweep back and forth. View my other one also....https://youtu.be/iqtCrr0eEpg regarding nails and what the response itself can sound like and more importantly,ACT like.
Thanks! That is exactly the type of video/audio I'm looking to learn from!