114 Wheaties

Calvin

Forum Supporter
I was curious :roll: about how many Wheat cents are in circulation, so I cashed in a $20 for 40 rolls of pennies yesterday at my bank. I was surprised that 6 of the rolls had wheat cents visible as the end coin in the roll; but I was even more surprised that one roll had 10 wheaties and 3 had 8. I had over 80 wheats in the first twenty rolls and then my luck turned and the last twenty rolls had only another 34. The oldest is a 1911, two 1917, two 1918, four 1919 and one 1920. I haven't check into the value of any of these but they are all in pretty good shape. I'm going to get another $20 worth and see if I just got lucky or not.

Not as much fun as MDing; but still fun! I wonder if any silver dimes are lurking in rolls out there. I've got this $100 bill I might just use for another experiment!:yes:

Wow you got really lucky. I have looked at over $100 and my average is under one wheatie per dollar. Maybe you just got some good rolls or maybe they are more frequently circulated around your area.

One of the other forums (Tnet) has a section reserved for coin roll hunting posts and the finds are amazing. These people are into it big time. Several people have found Barber halves in rolls bought from banks. Many other silver coins still in circulation. LeJeune from La. posts there also. She occasionally posts on this forum.

2nd try at the pennies

Well my first try was a fluke. Instead of 114 wheaties in $20, over the weekend I tried $25 worth of pennies and found 8 wheaties, the oldest a 1945 and 14 Canadian.

Now I'll have to try it one more time to get a real average! Thankfully the local grocery store has a bank branch with a coin counter!

Calvin this is what I do over the long winter months as a form of detecting. I too either go to the bank and buy rolls of coins, or I'll start putting coins in the vending machines at work and hitting the return. I have found some silver that way. Hey, when you can't swing a coil, ya just have to do something............right!;) :D

If you live in or near a rural area, try to find a local banking company (Farmers Bank, etc). Buy your rolls from those banks, as the coins tend to stay in one area for a long time. I used to do this quite regularly, even found a few Indian Head cents.

My Best luck at the bank, was purchasing a roll of quarters , opened them up to find that each and every one was silver.. I ended up selling the roll to a coin collector pal of mine for $50...LOL.. EZ money.. to bad it don't happen more often..

Say, DougF, do you have the URL of that TNET forum, I did a quick google and could not find it.

Thanks
Jim

Having fun with pennies and nickels

I too enjoy going to the bank and hunting pennies rolls. This last week netted me 11 wheaties and just over 4 pounds of copper. I have now begun searching Jefferson nickels, as the copper and nickel metals values have place each nickels melt at just over 7 cents.

The following link will provide you with the current price that MOST coin dealers will pay for your wheaties.

http://coins.about.com/library/coin_values/bl_wheat_cents.htm

The following link will provide you with the current value of copper in all pennies prior to 1982. Yes, both copper and zink were minted in 1982 and must be weighted or ring tested to separate copper from zink.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html

For those of you who are not aware, it takes 154 copper pennies to weight one pound.

Hope this post is of value to you. Have a great day!

Jeremiah

Finding wheats in rolls is really fun. However, if you want to make money I would suggest searching for silver dimes. I average about 1 every month at my work. I recently found a 51S at the end of one roll. I only casually search I know other people coin roll hunt looking for dimes that find a lot more than I do.

I don't know if this helps, but in the following five months i have found:

Pennies: 1200 wheats, 3 IH

Nickels: 40 wartimes: 13 Buffaloes: 1 V nickel

Dimes: 60 silver roosevelts: 6 mercuries

Quarters: 2 silver quarters: would not recommend

Half Dollars: 50 1964 Half Dollars (90%) 35 1965-1969 (40%)
8 Benjamin Franklin Halves: 4 Walking Liberty Halves

Other finds include proofs, foreign coins, and error coins
I even found a two sided half-dollar

The half dollar rolls are where you really find silver. Sometimes all will be silver and others just the silver clad ones from 1965 - 1969. I would try them in a heartbeat.

When you find a 1090VBDs or a 1914D wheat, you have something!!

Roll hunting is fun! I love to look through half dollar rolls. I always find silver halves and frequently find Franklin halves and have found on many occasion Walkers. One roll of halves I searched had a Canadian Large Cent dated 1903!!! Talk about unexpected! :o

There are definately silver dimes and quarters too! I worked at National City for a couple of years and you would not beleive the old coins you can find in all sorts of rolls. Even nickels are worth the price for a box. The new clear plastic rolls that Brink's will sometimes use makes it a piece of cake to pull out the silvers. There are some old posts on the forum about this that are really cool, search them up sometime!

I've tried a few banks here where I live and no one seems to carry half dollar rolls anymore!?!:no::?::(

Back
Top Bottom