Whose made a sand scoop

MattLock

Elite Member
I go the the beach maby once a summer to hunt and I want to make the most of it but I don’t want to spend to if cash on something I won’t use often. Any body make your own

I go the the beach maby once a summer to hunt and I want to make the most of it but I don’t want to spend to if cash on something I won’t use often. Any body make your own

There are loads of youtube videos if you google "best homemade sand scoop". I was going to make one out of pvc but after figuring i would hve to buy some stuff to make it, i just bought a decent metal scoop for less than 100$. Seriousdetecing website has metal scoops starting around 25$. If you are just doing dry sand you could just buy a plastic feed scoop and drill holes in it. If you are hunting in the wet sand or rocks, im pretty sure everyone on here will tell you buy an exspensive scoop or be prepared to have it break and need to buy another one anyways. Also seen guys just using a shovel on the beach, it just might take a little longer to retrieve finds.

what KIND of scoop are you wanting? dry sand sifter or water scoop? If you are taking about surf hunting, dont waste time and money making something yourself unless you are actually a metal fabricator in real life.

If you are talking about dry sand scoops, those things are dirt cheap. You couldnt hardly make something for the cost of just buying one.

If you're dry sand hunting, go to a pet store and buy a plastic grain scoop for about $7. Drill 5/8" holes in it and there you go!

IMG_1310.jpg

Mine lasted about 18 months.

R5

I bought a footlong piece of 4" PVC with a cap end.
Drill a bunch of 3/8" holes, use two u-bolts and a wooden handle.
For less than $20 you got one!

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 499
  • scoop 2.jpg
    scoop 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
You can also buy something like a RTG speedy for less than 40 bucks shipped. Something like this is also great in totlots with the pea gravel. It is very light and easy to carry. I have a couple of them my wife and I use in creeks in the loose gravel and sand.

If you build something, make sure you test it out really good before going out for a beach hunt. You want to make sure it does the job well and doesn't take a lot of time to use.

You can also buy something like a RTG speedy for less than 40 bucks shipped. Something like this is also great in totlots with the pea gravel. It is very light and easy to carry. I have a couple of them my wife and I use in creeks in the loose gravel and sand.

If you build something, make sure you test it out really good before going out for a beach hunt. You want to make sure it does the job well and doesn't take a lot of time to use.

Rather not buy any thing kely co is out of stock of everything thing and I have to buy some thing right now to get it in time

I've made two out of stainless bathroom garbage cans. They both work really well, but not as well as the one I purchased. $100 for the one I purchased is money well spent, imho, even if it's rarely used.

http://detecting365.com/5-year-review-sand-scoops/

There are scoops for every budget, but what is the difference between making one and buying one of those fancy models?

Well, here is a quick review on some of the popular styles that I have owned over the past five years. <--make that 8-years :D

1. This DIY style scoop has lasted over 5-years.
All materials were repurposed from leftovers found on construction sites, so the cost was $0.00. The downside is the diameter is narrower than most coils and it can take many scoops to dig out targets. Nonetheless, it is fantastically efficient when you come across a coin spill in the dry sand.

2. A hand scoop made from steel is an upgrade from the PVC.
The handle is positioned to maximize the force from your hand and it will easily slice through shells and small stones. It is great for wet or dry sand, but almost impossible to use in the surf unless u are snorkeling. The cost is often less than $30 which makes it an affordable investment for most people.

3. An aluminum scoop with a short handle is the ideal size for kids to use or great for retrieving targets from the DRY sand.
The caveat to this scoop is the short handle requires most adults to hunch over and it doesn’t slice through the wet sand easily. Therefore operators will tend to use his/her foot to push it into the sand BUT using your foot will likely bend the aluminum back plate and eventually crack the welds. At costs up to $60, I recommend self control and only using it in the dry…OR…it can make a great donor for those with welding skills.

4. At 3.7 lbs. this long handled aluminum scoop is nicely balanced, enables you to dig while standing and works great in the water.
Some effort is needed to push through seaweed, shells, and rock, but in tough surf it doesn’t cause injury or lacerations as easy as sharp angled scoops. FWIW, I’ve owned three of these scoops over the years (from various mfg’s) and all of them bent the handle and/or cracked the welds within the first 30 days of use. After finding a reputable welder, side support plates were added which prevented further damage.

5. At 3.6 lbs. and including the weight of a wooden handle, this Stainless Steel scoop by Sunspot is marginally lighter than the aluminum and the weight can be further reduced by using a carbon-fiber handle in place of the wood.
The angled design slices through seaweed, shells, and small rocks but in rough surf it has caused more than one not so pleasant encounter with my legs. The size and sheer quantity of holes make water sifting almost effortless and dry sand sifting easier than the round aluminum scoop; however, the scoop has a greater capacity and can get heavy with a full load. Targets are retrieved expediently and it has been my primary scoop without failure over the past 3-years.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Regardless of budget, there are a lot of options for getting into beach hunting. Just keep in mind the old saying of “Get the correct tool for the job” It will likely increase your enjoyment of the hobby!

Attachments

• reviewsscoops.jpg
    reviewsscoops.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 488
http://detecting365.com/5-year-review-sand-scoops/

There are scoops for every budget, but what is the difference between making one and buying one of those fancy models?

Well, here is a quick review on some of the popular styles that I have owned over the past five years. <--make that 8-years :D

1. This DIY style scoop has lasted over 5-years.
All materials were repurposed from leftovers found on construction sites, so the cost was $0.00. The downside is the diameter is narrower than most coils and it can take many scoops to dig out targets. Nonetheless, it is fantastically efficient when you come across a coin spill in the dry sand.

2. A hand scoop made from steel is an upgrade from the PVC.
The handle is positioned to maximize the force from your hand and it will easily slice through shells and small stones. It is great for wet or dry sand, but almost impossible to use in the surf unless u are snorkeling. The cost is often less than $30 which makes it an affordable investment for most people.

3. An aluminum scoop with a short handle is the ideal size for kids to use or great for retrieving targets from the DRY sand.
The caveat to this scoop is the short handle requires most adults to hunch over and it doesn’t slice through the wet sand easily. Therefore operators will tend to use his/her foot to push it into the sand BUT using your foot will likely bend the aluminum back plate and eventually crack the welds. At costs up to $60, I recommend self control and only using it in the dry…OR…it can make a great donor for those with welding skills.

4. At 3.7 lbs. this long handled aluminum scoop is nicely balanced, enables you to dig while standing and works great in the water.
Some effort is needed to push through seaweed, shells, and rock, but in tough surf it doesn’t cause injury or lacerations as easy as sharp angled scoops. FWIW, I’ve owned three of these scoops over the years (from various mfg’s) and all of them bent the handle and/or cracked the welds within the first 30 days of use. After finding a reputable welder, side support plates were added which prevented further damage.

5. At 3.6 lbs. and including the weight of a wooden handle, this Stainless Steel scoop by Sunspot is marginally lighter than the aluminum and the weight can be further reduced by using a carbon-fiber handle in place of the wood.
The angled design slices through seaweed, shells, and small rocks but in rough surf it has caused more than one not so pleasant encounter with my legs. The size and sheer quantity of holes make water sifting almost effortless and dry sand sifting easier than the round aluminum scoop; however, the scoop has a greater capacity and can get heavy with a full load. Targets are retrieved expediently and it has been my primary scoop without failure over the past 3-years.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Regardless of budget, there are a lot of options for getting into beach hunting. Just keep in mind the old saying of “Get the correct tool for the job” It will likely increase your enjoyment of the hobby!

Thanks good info

I have a yellow Wilcox scoop, which is similar to the green one pictured previously. I attached it to an old shovel handle with a bolt and some threaded rod.

It's dug a hundred holes so far this year and seems to be holding up pretty well. The scoop was about $10 or so. If it's once a year, this should work for you for a long, long time. I use it wet sand and dry sand, and the down side is wet sand takes a while to shake out...

Update...

My local farm and feed store had a few of those poly shovels for twenty five dollars, the ones from the Aussie videos.

I used the scoop yesterday without modification and it worked okay, so I went home and adjusted the handle angle, and drilled some seive holes in the shovel.

Here's the original link...

https://youtu.be/AHXItgcMZoQ

Back
Top Bottom