• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coin Roll Hunting

Treasurekidd

Elite Member
I decided to post this here first, because we don't really have a forum for this, and it's not a metal detecting topic, but it is "treasure hunting" in a way. What does everyone think? Should I post this on the main board or not? Tnet (yes, I go to Tnet now and then) has a Coin Roll Hunting forum, and it's actually much more popular than I would have thought, enough to inspire me to give it a try. What does everyone think, yes or no?

Here's the post:

I had a nice quiet night tonight, so I figured I'd give roll hunting a try. Ran to the corner bank and picked up $20.00 in pennies, and didn't do too bad:

Wheats
1940P -1
1945P -1
1952P -1
1952D -2
1956D -1
1958P -2

Also found a 1942 Canadian penny and a 2003 Barbados penny. There were lots of newer Canadians, didn't keep those though. I also made an .18 cent profit, finding 2 clad dimes, which I replaced with pennies. The wheaties were all in avg circulated shape or worse, but better than most that I've dug. All in all, I did better then I thought I would. Good enough to make me want to try again, so the $20 is going back to the bank for $20 more!

Attachments

• Roll Hunting 8-9-06 1.JPG
    Roll Hunting 8-9-06 1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 898
  • Roll Hunting 8-9-06 2.JPG
    Roll Hunting 8-9-06 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 921
I think it would be fun. Good winter topic when we are usually complaining about the frozen ground. Cladius.

Honestly.... I can't stand it... I'm not BSing here but to each their own and that section on T-Net I don't bother reading anymore because I don't believe some of the posters over there and their alleged finds... some of them are unbelievable.

I used to do this many years ago. Wheaties were very common then, and the effort slowly became much more than the reward. I was trying to fill up a few coin collection folders. Maybe time to rethink this since wheaties are getting scarce.

I do it from time to time. It breaks up the winter "no hunting" blues for me. Besides, you just never know what you will find. :shock:

I've never even heard about this before. That's pretty cool. I thought it was fun to go to the post office stamp vending machine and buy one stamp with a $20 bill and get 19 Susan B. Anthony's back as change :lol:

hoser said:
I do it from time to time. It breaks up the winter "no hunting" blues for me. Besides, you just never know what you will find. :shock:

Bill

Do you detect? :lol:

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and post it under "Finds and pictures of finds", since no one posted any negative feedback.

Craig, I know what you mean about the T-Net posters, but there are a few good people over there. I really do much prefer this board, and the people on it, and the finds posted here are much more realistic for the most part.

Okie, this is actually the 2nd time I tried it. The first time, I bought up about 20 rolls of half dollars, and didn't find any silvers or silver clads. Also, dumping the halves at my bank after looking through them didn't make the bank folks to pleased, lol. It took a few months before I tried it again, but I did better than I thought with the pennies. I hear the quarter and dime rolls don't produce much silver, and nickels, well, not much to search for besides war nickels. I'll stick with pennies for a while and see how it works out.

I do the same thing,  I buy 20.00 in pennies on a cold day,  my boy's and I look for wheat cent's.   They find a few and are excited about collecting.     I find it a enjoyable passtime to collect with them on a cold day.

I went to the post office  yesterday, bought a stamp with a ten,   I got a couple of Susan B, but the rest were Sacagawea Dollar's.  All circulated of course but it was very interesting.

I attatched a picture of the Wheat's I have collected, I didn't dig these up.

Attachments

• Coins.jpg
    Coins.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 839
Back
Top Bottom