help in identifying this item

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Was hunting in an area where a major civil war battle occurred. This area has produced many cw bullets. It is in an urban area where the park has been a park from about 1940 and before that just empty fields and creek beds. So there is hardly any modern trash to be found except your usual ring pulls.

Found this squashed piece of metal about 7 inches deep in sand along the top part of a small creek. a battery of cannons was known to have been in actions in this area.

so I don 't know if this is a fragment? seems to be a heavy piece of mangled copper and rings up on the Equinox 800 bouncing from 20 - 26.
no rust on it, just looks like tarnished copper or brass.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• find1small.jpg
    find1small.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 379
  • find2small.jpg
    find2small.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 378
looks more like lead and the edges look sharp and jagged, posable a bullet that hit soft wood or heavy fabric?

I did a small test with small needle nosed pliers and tried to bend one of the sharp edges. Does not bend. So probably not lead or copper. More like brass. Not sure what could mangle brass like this, but something did.

A family friend came over this weekend and he is a retired machinist and I showed it to him and he said it looked like brass. He said it may have been part of an cannon that had exploded. Sounds plausible but at this stage, I am still just guessing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom