FEMA Flood area

KiowaRd

Forum Supporter
The small town that my daughter lives in here in Kansas was hit with a "500 year" flood a few years back. The area where houses got flooded are now vacant lots, many have sidewalks and walks up to where the houses once stood. Most are mowed, perhaps by the city. I asked daughter how to find out who owns the lots and she said that FEMA owns them now and no one can build on them. She said just go ahead and hunt them. Shouldn't need permission.
Gotta add that my grandson is the Chief of Police so don't think there's gonna be any problems. :grin:

As owner of FEMA, I grant you permission. Just be sure to send me 30% cut of all your fiinds. I accept PayPal. :cool:

Finally talked to grandson (chief of police) and he said that FEMA doesn't own the lots, individuals still do. Guess I'll have to get permission from them.

Finally talked to grandson (chief of police) and he said that FEMA doesn't own the lots, individuals still do. Guess I'll have to get permission from them.

FEMA does have a Hazard Mitigation program where they buy property that's at repeated risk of being flooded.

But, it's still possible that individuals own the land and didn't go through the process once their property was totaled. Some places require you to purchase flood insurance if you are on a plain or to build a new house at a higher elevation (e.g. on top of pilings). Some people don't want to (or can't) deal with that, so they just leave.

(E.G. - The Jersey Shore after Sandy. Most have rebuilt, but there are still some abandoned/empty lots, new homes are on pilings, etc. Obviously the real estate market on the Jersey Shore is in higher demand then a house on the river in the middle of no where).

That's an awsome site/sites. Especially since its mowed. That's a bonus in itself. HH. Hit her hard!

Back
Top Bottom