Detecting Parks Is Hard Work...I Have To Sit Down

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I’ve never detected one particular local park before today. I just always figured it wasn’t really worth my time - the park has a long and well documented history, so surely it’s been pounded to death by detectorists for as long as I’ve been alive (almost 5 decades). At best I’d find some clad which doesn’t really interest me. But I’ve been having a little bit of luck lately in areas that I previously assumed would have been hunted out, so today I thought “what the heck...can’t hurt to try.”

I went into the hunt strictly as a coin shooter - mainly looking at tones that were Indian and higher plus nickels. I expected trash, pull tabs, and bottle caps to be everywhere, so I decided not to bother digging the traditional trash numbers (but I didn’t discriminate them out). I also went into the hunt not really expecting to shoot many coins!

The first “good” tone was a classic Zincoln signal, 19-20 on my EQ800 and not too deep. I dug it, and it was, indeed, a Zincoln.

The next coin signal was one that I’ve come to know as meaning a potential Wheatie...a strongly bouncing high tone (VDI varying from 20-32, but rarely even a blip outside of high tones). In fact, after I turned the plug, the signal seemed to solidify around 31-32, so I began to wonder if I didn’t have something better than a Wheat. Digging down through 4 or 5”, I encountered a root maybe 1” in diameter, and the pinpointer was sounding off on something somewhere below it! I’m learning to love those signals below decent sized roots - chances are high it’s something old/good!! Sure enough, out from under the root came a somewhat crusty, but identifiable, Wheat penny. Woohoo!! To me that was a small victory in this well-hunted park! By the end of the hunt, I ended up with 4 Wheats (1929, 1919, & 1918, and one unidentifiable date). The last three were pretty crusty, and interestingly, all three rung up in the Zincoln range (solid 19-21).

A pull tab or two after that first Wheat, I got an even better surprise...I got over a 19-21 coin signal, but this one was indicating deeper...too deep for the typical Zincoln. From 5 or 6” down, I dredged up a nice, green coin...1893 Indian! This park just got a lot more interesting!!

615179E3-B364-4846-A2D5-217ABFD6507B.jpg

I fished around for another 30 minutes with almost nothing diggable - a few zinc pennies and a couple pull tabs. Then I got over another 20-21 signal - slightly broken, but I was convinced it was a coin. And better yet, it was showing too deep for Zincoln territory! Putting the garden knife to work again, I turned a plug and had to remove a little more dirt before the pinpointer started to sound off. Routing around a little deeper, I saw it...a giant iron nail. :mad:

“Damn this iron falsing,” I quietly muttered out loud to myself - I was genuinely frustrated, pocketed the nail, and flipped the plug back into place in disgust. I’ve been struggling with the new Equinox update digging fistfulls of nails that sounded like potential deep coins...but those were always pretty iffy at least in hindsight. This one I would have bet the house was a coin.

Despite my annoyance, I’ve learned long ago to always recheck the hole, so after standing back up I half-heartedly waved the coil over the spot. Raging high tone! :shock: Almost dead solid 29-30, occasionally dropping to 27-28, and showing 6-8”! Flipping the plug again and digging a little further down, the pinpointer sounds off, and I eventually discover what looks like a clad quarter - dark grey, no shine. The front was encased in black dirt, but I was stunned when I flipped it over! I saw a very different eagle than I was used to, and knew right away this was old silver!! At first I thought it was Barber, but after taking a closer look at the back and hitting up Google in the field, I realized “Holy cats!! It’s a Seated!!” :wow::wow::shock: My first quarter other than a George, and it’s an oldie...clean up at home revealed the 1854 date, now my oldest silver coin as well!! :cool3:

F0B0D0E7-928B-49BD-84DF-6C7AE4B5DF6F.jpg

7FC40C6B-4BD2-43B6-8C11-E3066C5AFE3B.jpg

44CEF16E-86A4-4109-8B1E-51E42D3A03A1.jpg

D454C74C-F8A1-45AE-9CE7-91D4E3546CD0.jpg

102F1D9E-F3D1-460A-ACE7-4D430C72ABDB.jpg

I did learn a valuable lesson through a little heartbreak, though. I never wipe or clean my silver in the field...I just put it in a dedicated pouch to gently rinse with water at home. This time, the excess dirt on the face of the quarter somehow managed to scratch the coin while it was in my pouch. :no: Earlier this evening I bought a couple $1 spray bottles from Walmart at forum member Dan B.’s suggestion. No more dirty/sandy silver goes in my pouches or pockets.

Despite the disappointment with the scratches, I’ve been on a permanent high ever since this afternoon - even as I write this at 1:30am!!

Besides the additional Wheat pennies, I ended the hunt with a second Indian, 1882! Seven old coins in a small section of the park in under 3 hours was far more than I ever expected - but a seated quarter was beyond my wildest dreams! In hindsight, I wonder if most of these signals were still there because most of them rang up similar to Zincolns, even the quarter since it was being masked by iron. Either way, I guarantee you’ll see me spending a little more time at the local park... :lol:

Edit: Forgot to mention settings for those who might be interested: Park 1, 50 tones, Recovery Speed 5, F2 2

Attachments

• 8D846E9E-5B90-4852-9A85-22A30C29A3B7.jpg
    8D846E9E-5B90-4852-9A85-22A30C29A3B7.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 678
  • E7538577-E16F-4880-9DF5-538A33A8E4FC.jpg
    E7538577-E16F-4880-9DF5-538A33A8E4FC.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 639
  • A2805A6D-CED0-4734-8692-6BC7FF2AD64B.jpg
    A2805A6D-CED0-4734-8692-6BC7FF2AD64B.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 643
  • 340736C0-4C40-4831-BC45-9C742BA0AA75.jpg
    340736C0-4C40-4831-BC45-9C742BA0AA75.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 645
  • ECACA557-EB7C-421B-B1A8-89D4D29AF967.jpg
    ECACA557-EB7C-421B-B1A8-89D4D29AF967.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 636
  • B7516D45-A3C3-4AEF-998B-141070560A5D.jpg
    B7516D45-A3C3-4AEF-998B-141070560A5D.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 682
That is a great story on how you hunted that park. Thinking a little outside the box on a park you thought was hammered. I also learned something here too. I liked that small rag , or "tarp" you laid down to put the dirt on. Makes it easier , cleaner to refill the hole. Great finds and I'm sure you will get some more.

Great write up and recovery. Seated quarter!? Come on now!! Awesome find, buddy! Ride that high. You deserve it.

I also like Park 1, 50 tones. I like hearing it all. I tried the new F2 and found myself digging more good sounding iron nails. I've gone back to the FE 2 setting that I have grown accustomed to. I hope to get over a seated quarter some day. Just not much population in Utah during that time frame. Really impressed with yours.

Great write up and even better hunting. Proof positive that quality coins are still out there in public parks for those who know how to find them. Nice job staying tidy in a public park, too. Too bad about the scratch, but I have a feeling you'll never sell that quarter anyway!

I wish I could have been there to share in the excitement of you digging your first seated quarter. But then again it was like being there with you. The text messages and pics soon after it came out of the ground showed your excitement. And then my out loud responses wow that's cool I can't believe he dug a seated quarter woke up my wife and she told me to calm down.
May that be the first of many. Nice job and thanks for the text messages.

Last edited:
Great write up and fantastic job/hunt! Big congrats AMT and thanks for taking us along. Those are some fantastic finds and from the obvious park! Too cool.

That is a great story on how you hunted that park. Thinking a little outside the box on a park you thought was hammered. I also learned something here too. I liked that small rag , or "tarp" you laid down to put the dirt on. Makes it easier , cleaner to refill the hole. Great finds and I'm sure you will get some more.

Thanks, KOB - I really appreciate that!

I actually just switched over to the high mil plastic tarp a couple hunts ago - I used to use a hand towel (on old one, with my wife’s permission of course - no death wish here :laughing:), but the fabric just held on to too much dirt/dust and was bulky. The tarp is perfect - dirt slides right off back into the hole, and folds up small and light to get tucked back into my pouch. Super easy to keep lawns and parks mess free!

Great story! Love reading it like I was there with you. A HUGE congrats on finding a seated QUARTER! I have only found 1 seated over here in Washington state and it was a 20 center' :D

I totally can imagine your surprise and joy all at the same time...plus 2 fine Indians!

What a great hunt!

WOW, Now that's a fine hunt for a hard hit park. A huge congrats on your first seated and oldest silver. A seated anything is still top of my list but they continue to elude me. I did dig an 1892 Barber, close but no cigar. Nice write up as well Ben. The old adage still rings true, Never hunted out. I hit a pounded park yesterday and managed two silvers, Merc and Rosie, a Buff and a 20s something wheat. Good luck and I would definitely hit that place again. HH Mark

Excellent post. Love the play-by-play. Love the in-situ "reveal" pix. Love the emerald green patina on the IH. Thanx for bringing us along !

Congrats on a fine hunt, AirmetTango. After years of "no seated silver", my first Seated was an 1875 quarter, found in the middle of a hard-packed dirt roadway, through a farm field.
That 1893 IH is a beauty and cleaned up nicely. Looks like a pretty high grade too. Depending how these were oriented in the soil for years (face up or face down) it seems like one side always hangs onto the crustiness more than the other side. Is the reverse of your 1893 like that? [EDIT] Wait, I see that the reverse of yours cleaned up pretty well too.

Again, fine hunt and great story.

Jim

Last edited:
I have to agree with the others...That was an outstanding write up AT! It sure is rewarding to the Forum to read well prepared posts and we sure do appreciate the effort! A+++! And, the cool thing is that nail protected that seated Q for all these years until you came along with the NOX! You are the first person to touch that coin since it was lost well over 150yrs ago...:thumbsup:

More than likely the fine scratch is from the coin being resistant of being found after its long slumber !!!! Wtg

A great post .Your writing perfectly described some of the similar characteristics of the Nox that I have found .Definitely a lot of info to be gathered here by Nox users .

When I read your post I was both there with you and having flashbacks of my recent trips .
Congrats on your first Seated Quarter ( a much desired coin on my bucket list) and the other fine coins you harvested . Looking at the trash I can hear the sound each one makes ( man , those 13 readings play hell with me ) .

Your photos are fantastic also .Your post is a complete 10 ! I'll be looking forward to seeing your future adventures .

Great write up and recovery. Seated quarter!? Come on now!! Awesome find, buddy! Ride that high. You deserve it.

I also like Park 1, 50 tones. I like hearing it all. I tried the new F2 and found myself digging more good sounding iron nails. I've gone back to the FE 2 setting that I have grown accustomed to. I hope to get over a seated quarter some day. Just not much population in Utah during that time frame. Really impressed with yours.

Thanks SW!! I couldn't believe it either! Sure threw a curve ball at the contest I had just kicked off :lol:

I've only just started to experiment with Park 1 recently. From what I understand, it's apparently the mode that yields the best depth in many situations and the most sensitive for deep coins, but at the cost of higher sensitivity to itty-bitties and more susceptible to iron falsing. Everything's a trade off! I love 50 tones - seems much easier to figure out some of the falsing and gain great target info when deciding to dig or not.

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to try F2 again sometime - FE and F2 apparently don't correlate directly at equal settings. If you're used to using FE 2, that's roughly equal to F2 5. On another forum, I saw that FE 0 is equal to F2 4. So F2 settings lower than 4 increase the possibility of iron falsing even more than what we would be used to at any FE setting, with the benefit being even more unmasking capability:

Detector Prospector Site: New Update Has Arrived, Steve Herschbach post

I'm gonna come back and read your post another time. For now, I just skimmed your words and looked at the photos, and I am quite impressed! Saving the backstory for later...

Huge CONGRATS! on the waay back quarter, and new oldest coin!

Great write up and even better hunting. Proof positive that quality coins are still out there in public parks for those who know how to find them. Nice job staying tidy in a public park, too. Too bad about the scratch, but I have a feeling you'll never sell that quarter anyway!

Thanks TS! And I appreciate the very nice words on technique - I dare say I had a good amount of luck sprinkled in too :D But yes, staying tidy is paramount and a top priority in my hunting - I want to help make sure all of us will always be welcome back to detect parks!

Yep, that scratch was a bit of a heartbreaker, and a tough way to learn a lesson - sure wish I learned it on a Rosie or something! But you’re right, this quarter isn’t going anywhere anyway, and it’s still absolutely beautiful to me! :cool3:

I wish I could have been there to share in the excitement of you digging your first seated quarter. But then again it was like being there with you. The text messages and pics soon after it came out of the ground showed your excitement. And then my out loud responses wow that's cool I can't believe he dug a seated quarter woke up my wife and she told me to calm down.
May that be the first of many. Nice job and thanks for the text messages.

Thanks Dan! I was bursting with excitement and I knew you’d appreciate hearing about it - plus you’re partially responsible for me deciding to hit that park, so I couldn’t wait to share! The success we had at the school yard we hunted together at your suggestion is what got me to change my mind about hunting this park!

Apologies to your wife...I promise to try and only find Seated Quarters while she’s awake from now on :lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom