Suspense In A Park...

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I went out to a “new to me” park earlier this week to hunt for a couple hours. I was drawn to this park mainly because old aerial photos revealed a baseball diamond sitting in a area that’s currently just grass. When looking at the park in person, it seemed to be the least likely spot in the park that a metal detectorist would be interested in hunting...the section sort of creates a border between a more modern section of the park with new ball fields and the obviously older section of the park (huge tress).

Getting ready to hunt, I was surprised that the Equinox ground balanced with a negative number - somewhere in the cobwebbed recesses of my brain, I was aware that was possible...I just hadn’t seen it before. For my area, the machine generally balances somewhere between positive single digits to low 40s, with teens to 20s most common.

Anyways, I spent the first 30 minutes or so allowing myself to get sidetracked by what every other detectorist probably gravitates to...the section of the park full of big trees with fat trunks. I started hunting there out of curiosity, and ended up with big fat nothing!

So, I moved on to my real target - the area of the former ball field, which is sort of deep, deep, deep right field for one of the current baseball diamonds. Within 2 minutes, I got over a nice sounding medium-high tone showing nice depth - pretty consistent all the way around, with minimal VDI spread centered around 19-21. “I’ll bet that’s an Indian!”, I thought. I dug, and I was down 8” when my pinpointer started to give me clear signs that the target was bigger than coin sized. Worried I was about to find can slaw and learn that my old ball field was covered in 8” of new soil, I seriously considered waving the white flag on this target...I generally don’t like to dig deep in parks anyway, because it gets too conspicuous and the holes start to get too difficult to pack back down to original grade to leave no trace.

In this case, the soil was pretty easy, so I decided to keep going...at the 10” mark, I finally got rewarded and popped out a cool old suspender buckle!! (See what I did there with the title?? :lol:) There’s no question looking at it - it’s old...probably late 1800s/early 1900s. The buckle is complete, but once I was cleaning it up at home, I realized the bottom portion is curled over. No worries, it’s in pretty amazing condition otherwise. The really cool part is, once I got all the dirt cleaned out, the buckle prongs still rotate freely! Hard to read the patent dates since they’re corroded and reversed from the bend, but it looks like “1858 & 1871”, so that adds support for dating it to late 1800s.

Over the next 45 minutes, I got over an early Buff (looks like 1917) and a couple of Wheats (‘20 & ‘39) before I had to abandon the field. A pair of little league teams showed up to play a game on the new diamond, and even though the area I was hunting was really way too deep to be a part of their field, there’s no outfield fence. So I figured it was best to move along and come back some other time.

Back to the big, fat trees, where I found nothing but a few clad coins before stopping for the day. I’ll head back sometime soon - I have no doubt that forgotten ball field is hiding some more goodies!

Attachments

• E990ECD7-276C-411B-BCE6-D0A230591E47.jpg
    E990ECD7-276C-411B-BCE6-D0A230591E47.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 98C9C675-A168-4EEB-A0A0-4A477947F6EF.jpg
    98C9C675-A168-4EEB-A0A0-4A477947F6EF.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 368
  • B7E1C7C3-6C05-4607-925D-27C78EDD7F90.jpg
    B7E1C7C3-6C05-4607-925D-27C78EDD7F90.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 377
  • F64507B8-8457-44D4-98B7-7CDAC93F35F1.jpg
    F64507B8-8457-44D4-98B7-7CDAC93F35F1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 374
  • C0697C9B-B70F-4469-9357-12F145B76069.jpg
    C0697C9B-B70F-4469-9357-12F145B76069.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 379
Yes, most worthwhile to go back and find the areas where the benches, spectators and refreshments were.

Nice suspender clip.

Nice complete suspender clip and early buffalo!

Thanks TS! They were both very fun finds - Buffs are very uncommon for me for some reason.

Good write up, thanks

Glad you enjoyed it, MuddyMo! Thanks for reading!

Sweet! Nice start! It'd be nice to hear what the rest of your hunt turns up!

Thanks CalReg! I’ll absolutely follow up once I get over there again, but it might be a little while. The dirt is starting to get pretty dry here from lack of rain. I’ll try again once we get some moisture back in the ground so I can keep my plugs neat.

Nice finds and great photos of the suspender clip. Good work too on your research in locating the former ball field.

Thanks jimther! The research is always kind of fun for me, especially when it comes to comparing old aerial photos...maybe it’s the pilot in me coming out, but I’ve always loved the birds eye view of aerials - I can get sucked into them for hours! :D Anyways, any small edge helps when going into these heavily hunted parks trying to find what may have been missed!

Yes, most worthwhile to go back and find the areas where the benches, spectators and refreshments were.

Nice suspender clip.

Thanks waltr...yes, it’ll definitely be worth a return to the location, especially since I had to cut hunting the ball field short for the Little Leaguers. Lots of area left to investigate. The aerial gives a good impression of the field’s layout, so the bench locations are relatively easy to guesstimate a position for. At the time of the aerial (1951), I don’t see any bleachers for spectators, but there’s a decent sized open area that’s a likely suspect. And, of course, judging by the suspender buckle, there was activity here well before 1951 :yes:

That's pretty cool! All that research pays off.

Thanks Smirk! Once in while, a little extra research for a park works out! Of course, I’m sure this whole park has been picked over pretty well by detectorists over the previous decades, but it’s well worth putting in some time to try and establish where the previous activity hot spots were, and think about areas that other detectorists may have hit a little less often....And if those two things coincide with the same spot, even better! It seems to increase the odds of finding missed or passed up targets. :yes:

That is beautiful ,love that green patina.

Thanks Doggerjonny! I agree, I love seeing that patina coming out of the hole, whether it’s a coin or relic - you instantly know you have something good...and old :cool3:

I love stuff like that suspender clip. That one's a doozy! I'd be very happy with that. I dug a few old nickels and a merc today. I'd trade them quickly for finding a cool personal thing like that. Thanks for posting that.

I love the old relics, even more than the coins. A really cool find and good advice to search those old aerials for ball fields and other bygone places that would bring people together

Back
Top Bottom