B H Platinum

hardground

I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum and when I detect I dig where the center of my coil is at and find nothing. Should I be digging towards the top of the coil? I have an 11 inch DD coil.

Yes, and at times when I dig the plug, It does not pick up a signal. I know if the detector shows the target at 2-4 inches and I dig to 5 I find nothing. Could my sensitivity be too low?

Yes, and at times when I dig the plug, It does not pick up a signal. I know if the detector shows the target at 2-4 inches and I dig to 5 I find nothing. Could my sensitivity be too low?

My guess would be sensitivity would be too high. Try practice tests in a yard.

hardground said:
I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum and when I detect I dig where the center of my coil is at and find nothing. Should I be digging towards the top of the coil? I have an 11 inch DD coil.
If the target is a coin or ring or similar round-shaped object, and if it is positioned flat-to-the-search coil, it is usually easy to learn to pinpoint the target which will be in-line with the center axis of your search coil.

Note the following:
• It is usually easier to Pinpoint with a smaller coil than a larger coil.
• Concentric search coils Pinpoint easier than Double-D type coils.
• A coin-like object that is canted on an angle is generally going to be off-center from the Pinpointed spot due to the relationship with the coil's EMF.
• Elongated or odd-shaped objects can also be more difficult to Pinpoint spot-on due to their shape and orientation to the coil's EMF.

Also, needler420 asked if you have a pinpointer and you said Yes, and I wonder what brand Pinpointer you have. It quite possibly could be an inferior design with insufficient depth and sensitivity as you should be able to isolate a located targets in the removed soil or in the plug.

Monte

Normally with a DD coil, once you have “X-ed” the target and have it centered under the coil, dig a plug. At that point, you can also pull the coil straight back and the target will be at the front edge of the coil. The BH Platinum is a good detector, almost similar to the Teknetics Gamma 6000. Good luck and Happy Hunting :grin:

I have a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, I will try yard testing as suggested by Needler 420. I appreciate the help.

I assume when you pinpoint you note the width of the beep and/or how high you can raise the coil before the beep disappears. Objects larger than coins will show a shallow depth when they are actually deeper. But you probably already knew that. Sometimes I have trouble being sure, other times it is more obvious. I have many detectors and on some, a large deep object disappears maybe 6" above ground, but on another detector it is maybe 10" above ground.

I am using the Garrett Orange pin pointer

This is an older thread, but seems to have been revived by the OP, so I'll give it a try. First, "X-ing out" does not work with DD coils, only concentrics. Now, there is a dot or circle on top of the search coil, you will have to look for it and remember it's location. When using the BH Platinum pinpoint function, the target is located directly under this location when the display reads the shallowest depth of the target. As an alternative, you can use the "wiggle back" method. To do this, just "wiggle" the coil back and forth in very short sweeps, (only an inch or two), while slowly pulling the machine backwards towards you. When the signal just disappears, the target is located at the tip of the coil. Either of these methods should put the target in pinpointer range. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom