Garrett Pro Pointer problems

Is there still a problem with these still? I might be getting one for my birthday, but I'll get another brand if they are this bad. Op was posted in 2012, maybe things have gotten better?

Is there still a problem with these still? I might be getting one for my birthday, but I'll get another brand if they are this bad. Op was posted in 2012, maybe things have gotten better?

Yes, the vast majority of this thread is quite old - it actually refers to the original Garrett ProPointer. Unless you're buying a used Garrett pinpointer, you'll be looking at either the ProPointer II, or more likely the ProPointer AT. Many consider the ProPointer AT to be the benchmark pinpointer, although individual opinions obviously vary.

I actually used the original Garrett ProPointer for 1 1/2 years, from when I started detecting in early 2017 until last summer. The "on/off" switch was a known weak point on the original ProPointer - it was nothing more than a small push button micro-switch covered with a rubber button cover. The most obvious difference when the ProPointer II came out was that the on/off switch was addressed - the ProPointer II has the same switch design as the venerable ProPointer AT.

Anyway, the current ProPointer II and AT are excellent pin pointers. For that matter, I still have my original ProPointer as a back up. And Garrett customer service is top notch - if you ever do have an issue, they will take care of you quickly. Last winter I sent my original ProPointer in for an overhaul during the off season - had it back within 10 days, and it was like a brand new device!

Back
Top Bottom