Bullet Identify

Mess24

my wife found this bullet going through her late grandmothers jewelry box we need help in identifying it because her grandfather was a World War 2 Marine who was shot on Iwo Jima and was wondering if this was one of the bullets that hit him. He did survive but went through many surgeries to save him. So she was wondering since it was tucked away in a safe spot if by any chance this could be one that hit him or tucked away for another reason. Any help will be great and Thank you in advance.

Bullet info
472.7 grain
0.45 inch diameter
1.32 inch length

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 372
I wouldn't think so. It looks like a bullet from a 45-70, and it looks like lead. Most Japanese bullets I know of would be 7.7 or 6.5 jacketed.

-- Tom

Looks like 45-70 to me too. The ones I have found did not have fluting in the grooves though. Maybe more modern ammo for an old caliber?

Here is a pick of a couple different length bullets I found from circa 1870's
picture.php

I wouldn't think so. It looks like a bullet from a 45-70, and it looks like lead. Most Japanese bullets I know of would be 7.7 or 6.5 jacketed.

-- Tom

Yes, 45-70. NOT JAPANESE. Probably a picked up bullet from an army base here in the USA. In the late 1930s, my father was attending a National Guard camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and they were practicing on the old Chickamauga Battlefield. When they stopped to rest, Dad found a Civil War minie ball in the dirt (he sat on it). He kept that memento for years.

Back
Top Bottom