Thoughts on this scoop?

metalhound

I'm thinking of purchasing this scoop but I would like to know what the experts think first. It would be used mainly for the beach and loose soil. The holes are 1/2" inch round. I'm not sure what the brass probe is for.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 476
You are going to get very tired of using that scoop in a short time. It won't cover much area very quickly. Get one with a handle that allows you to dig standing up. It will be much more comfortable and faster to use.

The probe is used to stick in the ground to locate objects. A long, cheap phillips screwdriver will work better. Harbor Freight has a good selection for a cheap price. Longer is better.

Cliff

Rtg

Makes some nice hand scoop's, in Aluminum , or SS that will hold up , plastic will have a shorter life span , how long will it hold up, ? Ya get what you pay for , :imo:

No comment

That’s the most annoying comment ever.

To the op trust me in don’t get much sand/beach hunting in living in West Virginia but even that’s enough to say don’t waste your money, get BBC a quality scoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are considering that scoop, do yourself a favor and look at these. No bending down, your back will thank you. Metal Detector Sand Scoop 24"

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 409
You are going to get very tired of using that scoop in a short time.....

^ ^ this ^ ^

That plastic child's scoop is a waste of time. You might as well get a plastic 1-gallon milk container, cut it in half, and punch some holes in it. Which is equally as useless.

A total wast of money and it will never last.
If you are serious about detecting only Stainless Steel.
Bigger the better because you will save a ton of time because pinpointing is never perfect.
Hers a trick I use when detecting with my bigger scoop.
Many drag it behind them and that is a real pain. I grab my scoop by the balance point right behind the scoop and rotate it around and hold it waist high horizontal behind my back. Yea it sounds strange but it is actually comfortable when you get use to it and I can do 8 hrs of detecting in comfort.
Doug

Bigger the better because you will save a ton of time because pinpointing is never perfect.

Many drag it behind them and that is a real pain. I grab my scoop by the balance point right behind the scoop and rotate it around and hold it waist high horizontal behind my back. Yea it sounds strange but it is actually comfortable when you get use to it and I can do 8 hrs of detecting in comfort.

Doug
I use these on my scoop so both hands are free. It works great at the balance point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I598GX6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Kgu0Eb73A2G3E

Cliff

If your young, have no back/knee issues and are just starting out...go for it.
The repetitive nature of bending/squating can get old real quick fyi.

You can always upgrade later and use that scoop for cleaning up after the dog/cat:)

For what its worth..I started drysand hunting in summer 2007 or 8 can't even remember now but I bought a feed scoop and drilled holes in it. Since I only went to the beach now and then it worked perfect. I was not out to kill the treasure but testing to see if I liked it at the beach in the dry sand. Think I used it maybe about 8 or 9 times then bought a hand scoop. It served it purpose..I kept it in my car trunk for a few years then One of my trips to the beach a seen a family with there kids detecting, using there hands to scoop for targets. It was a great give away for they were in need..total cost was about 5 dollars and it made a great give away gift.

Nice but I’m not being tethered to a sand scoup dragged it behind me. That would ware me out.
Why is that different than holding it behind your back with your hand? It clips off easily if you need to use it. It hangs just like you are saying you do with yours. It is not dragging behind you.

Cliff

Doug
8 hrs of detecting in comfort ? THE KOB has been doing something wrong (yes he's wrong) for all these years. I've never hunted that long , even when young , and not been in some pain.

3 hours of scouring hot beach sand usually makes me feel like I’ve been doing demo work for 10 hours.
Research using Sand Scoops For beach and shallow water to get a good idea of what you really need in a scoop.

3 hours of scouring hot beach sand usually makes me feel like I’ve been doing demo work for 10 hours.
Research using Sand Scoops For beach and shallow water to get a good idea of what you really need in a scoop.
Ya got that right BH on the demo work ! I like your idea on telling peeps to do their own research. But they are asking for help. I'm just getting burned out on all this scoop talk. It's a no win...

For what its worth..I started drysand hunting in summer 2007 or 8 can't even remember now but I bought a feed scoop and drilled holes in it. Since I only went to the beach now and then it worked perfect. I was not out to kill the treasure but testing to see if I liked it at the beach in the dry sand. Think I used it maybe about 8 or 9 times then bought a hand scoop. It served it purpose..I kept it in my car trunk for a few years then One of my trips to the beach a seen a family with there kids detecting, using there hands to scoop for targets. It was a great give away for they were in need..total cost was about 5 dollars and it made a great give away gift.

My First scoop

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 346
Much better option. Plastic scoop is garbage and won't give you any leverage. I used the wooden box and aluminum feed scoop for years in the dry sand. I still think its great BTW. I made the PVC one and never really used it it much but I think if I were snorkeling it would be useful.

Attachments

• Box & Scoop.JPG
    Box & Scoop.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Beach Sifter.web.JPG
    Beach Sifter.web.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 342
Back
Top Bottom