Show and tell

beachrumbum

Well there was a lot of positive responses for my last post, annoying questions. It still happens to be one of my pet peeves. So I thought I would get some opinions on another of my pet peeves, show and tell, is there anyone who feels the same as I do? I just don’t enjoy seeing others stunning finds, Well it’s more of a mixed bag of emotions. It tends to distracts me from my own goal. Especially when I put in many hours of hard work and end up skunked at the same area someone else pulls a 2 karat diamond ring, did I miss it, am I a poor detectorist? I would just rather not even know about it. Especially being perpetually short on funds. I will note however, it does at times make me want to work even harder to be on par or above what I am seeing from others, so there is that saving grace. However it still remains that it probably does more harm to the gloating party as well, first thing I did when I joined the hobby was to find out who the braggarts doing well in my area were, find out where they hunt ect. It was not very hard being they publicly posted the info, although it was a poor choice on my behalf to begin the hobby in this way, but hey, these people seem to be successful and I too would like to be successful. The fact remains, these people seem to love the attention, and obviously do not hide their success. They will not offer any tips or help to fellow hunters, None that I have seen, they seem to be smart enough in that aspect as to not give the keys to success but only a glimpse as to what it looks like. Can’t blame them on that, would I give away all my secrets? No, but I’m not posting everything I find either. One can argue that it does feel good to share ones success with friends but is that sometimes at the other parties expense? This is something that I need to be watchful of as well, I do share with some close friends but at times feel bad about doing so, I had a friend jokingly threaten to stop hunting with me because I kept finding gold, but was it merely a joke or was it laced with some truth? I abruptly stopped reporting everything. This could hurt actual friendships when money is involved, not even money but pride, I’m positive my friend is not in it for financial gain. Perhaps that is my problem, being tight on money and relying more on my finds puts more pressure on me to succeed. I’m sure many treasure hunting stories end with the very premise. Also, with show and tell comes added attention to the hobby from outsiders and those newbies like we once all were, but do we need more hunters on the beaches already hammered? I’m already feeling sub par to my fellow hunters and don’t think added competition will help solve the issue. So I suppose that my take is this, show and tell does help build incentive, drive, raises the bar for one to try and achieve, and is fun to look at. It can also build resentment, or make others feel like they are under achieving. Perhaps I feel this way because I have made it a job instead of a hobby or could it be I just have gold fever? I have had my share of success, and to gauge my abilities to that of what others are posting is just silly. With all this I have decided I should remove myself from social media outlets, stop watching YouTube’s, cease to attend the monthly meetings and hopefully find the joy in the hunt and the catch again. I may get flamed for this, I understand the absurdity of some of it, but it’s nice to get this out as well.

Last edited:
Detecting is like gambling...wait no our chances of winning are waaaay better.
It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna....No actually you know many times penny, dime nickel, quarter.
Oh well Happy hunting 👍

Detecting is like gambling...wait no our chances of winning are waaaay better.
It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna....No actually you know many times penny, dime nickel, quarter.
Oh well Happy hunting 👍

Good point, I like the odds of detecting way more. Your statement also puts emphasis on how important it is to have a good outlook and positive attitude. Something I feel I have been lacking as of late. Thanks!

I too have struggled with these demons in the past. But , somewhat reluctantly THE KOB has changed. You can always learn from others ,no matter how good you think you are. I enjoy seeing others finds. It means alot for them to share even though it may not be a significant find to me. I believe most old timers will share their knowledge on becoming a better detectorist. But they won't all share locations. And rightfully so. You want them to dig it for you too ? You may be suffering from burnout. Try different , new locations. Take a little roadtrip. This will help.

THE KOB struggles with the whole social media aspect. I hunted with a few older guys years ago. Then went solo for a good 25 years. Now , maybe the last 5 years , I decided to open up more on a personal level
There is just too many people hunting the beaches now to stop them. What were secret spots in the past are no longer secret. But not all ! You can't keep everything bottled up forever. It's not worth it. When you start to give , you will start to receive. You can PM me anytime and we can talk further on all this.

Everyone goes through ups and downs in how they feel about sharing finds and seeing others finds. For me, it's seasonal.

Bottom line, is that everyone gets to choose what they enjoy. No one will flame you for deciding not to share, or because you don't want to see what others share.

It's pretty straightforward regarding what you choose to share, too. If you think, ever, that you're isolated, take a look at how many people VIEW the posts, versus actually post! There's a lot more of the viewers!

Cheers,

Skippy

I'll share whatever knowledge I have but will not share my locations. I try to never even take pictures at the beach, someone out there will be able to pull the gps coordinates from the picture or just study the background of the picture to figure out where it is.

I enjoy the show. It helps me to stay motivated to go digging. Knowing that at my age I will come home totally worn out with maybe a few dollars in clad. But once in a while something comes out of the dirt or sand that raises my heart rate and makes the effort all seem worth while. Yes I certainly would like to find goodies like some of the people do but it still motivates me to get off my old backside and go get some exercise I rarely find anything that I feel is worth posting pictures of. I am not in competition with everyone who detects. I am in competition with the dirt or sand that is hiding the goodies from me. Once in a while I win.

Best of luck in your searches!

As a part-timer I really enjoy seeing the finds from other people. Yeah, I haven't found anything spectacular yet but a bad day detecting is better than a good day at the office, as they say!

My pet peeve with the ones that share is the lack of location. Now I don't mean the exact spot but at least the state or county. It would help give context to the find. If you don't want to reveal gps data wait until you get home to take pics.

As for not looking at other's finds, just don't click on topics that include them.

Cliff

“I enjoy the show. It helps me to stay motivated to go digging. Knowing that at my age I will come home totally worn out with maybe a few dollars in clad. But once in a while something comes out of the dirt or sand that raises my heart rate and makes the effort all seem worth while. Yes I certainly would like to find goodies like some of the people do but it still motivates me to get off my old backside and go get some exercise I rarely find anything that I feel is worth posting pictures of. I am not in competition with everyone who detects. I am in competition with the dirt or sand that is hiding the goodies from me. Once in a while I win.“

Georgeinsc, Perhaps, a large contributor to constant good finds is pure tenacity, the push to keep going when everything hurts. In that aspect, seeing others success has given me the drive to go non stop until I find what I am looking for. It has made me ponder at times, what do I have to do to have a 3 gold ring day. It does tend to motivate.

I too have struggled with these demons in the past. But , somewhat reluctantly THE KOB has changed. You can always learn from others ,no matter how good you think you are. I enjoy seeing others finds. It means alot for them to share even though it may not be a significant find to me. I believe most old timers will share their knowledge on becoming a better detectorist. But they won't all share locations. And rightfully so. You want them to dig it for you too ? You may be suffering from burnout. Try different , new locations. Take a little roadtrip. This will help.

THE KOB struggles with the whole social media aspect. I hunted with a few older guys years ago. Then went solo for a good 25 years. Now , maybe the last 5 years , I decided to open up more on a personal level
There is just too many people hunting the beaches now to stop them. What were secret spots in the past are no longer secret. But not all ! You can't keep everything bottled up forever. It's not worth it. When you start to give , you will start to receive. You can PM me anytime and we can talk further on all this.

Wisdom, Thanks for the support KOB

My pet peeve with the ones that share is the lack of location. Now I don't mean the exact spot but at least the state or county. It would help give context to the find. If you don't want to reveal gps data wait until you get home to take pics.

As for not looking at other's finds, just don't click on topics that include them.

Cliff
To a certain extent that's true. When I say "So.Cal ", everyone knows where that is. But it still is a big geographic area. The guys that hunt seriously know the beaches here , at least all the larger ones. It's no secret , never has been. Finding , and mort importantly KNOWING the smaller , out of the way beaches is key here based on competition.

Everyone goes through ups and downs in how they feel about sharing finds and seeing others finds. For me, it's seasonal.

Bottom line, is that everyone gets to choose what they enjoy. No one will flame you for deciding not to share, or because you don't want to see what others share.

It's pretty straightforward regarding what you choose to share, too. If you think, ever, that you're isolated, take a look at how many people VIEW the posts, versus actually post! There's a lot more of the viewers!

Cheers,

Skippy

No one will flame you for not sharing ? Lol..
What about pics or it didn't happen ? I see that often. To a point , that's true. But pics can be faked. All comes down to honesty. For me , I know what I've found and that's all that matters.

No one will flame you for not sharing ? Lol..
What about pics or it didn't happen ? I see that often. To a point , that's true. But pics can be faked. All comes down to honesty. For me , I know what I've found and that's all that matters.

yeah, but that's always "tongue in cheek" ribbing, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Flame is like BURN. As in "you feel like you're in H ee double hockey sticks"

But of course, people may feel differently about such!

Skippy

I go to the beach to participate in our hobby... I don't not get upset if I am skunked which is a normal part of the hobby...

As to the other guy finding a big ring... his coil went over it... yours didn't end of story...

I have given lots of advice over the years.. I have none to give now as all my beaches are closed...

I do a lot of research to find my spots... I just don't show up at any beach randomly... you won't see a video or a camera shot from my beaches that I hunt... I do not like giving away my researched spots to lazy people who want others to do the research...

Enjoy the fresh air and the hobby that is what its about... no pressure..

Photos

Photos are for the future. I have over 600 pictures of beaches I have detected. All are on one disc and only one disc has been given away. That disc went to another detectorist who had been to 85% of the beaches with me. Each picture has the beaches name. What a walk along memory lane. Along with photos of others I have detected with and many of the day's finds sure will fill my days when I can no longer enjoy my hobby. I am also collecting a scrap book of Thank You Notes from the 200+ returns of found items while metal detecting. Call it what you want...I call it MY hobby and I am enjoying it now and will enjoy it to the end one way or another. Yes, if you would like to sit and share the views, I'd be more than glad to take you on one very magical tour of our hobby as seen through my eyes.

Attachments

• ressize sunset.jpg
    ressize sunset.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 582
I'll share whatever knowledge I have but will not share my locations. I try to never even take pictures at the beach, someone out there will be able to pull the gps coordinates from the picture or just study the background of the picture to figure out where it is.

You can throw them off by making sure geotag is on. Then take a concrete mixing tub with some beach sand. And take a pic of the ring in the sand at a mall curbstrip:laughing:

Well there was a lot of positive responses for my last post, annoying questions. It still happens to be one of my pet peeves. So I thought I would get some opinions on another of my pet peeves, show and tell, is there anyone who feels the same as I do? I just don’t enjoy seeing others stunning finds, Well it’s more of a mixed bag of emotions. It tends to distracts me from my own goal. Especially when I put in many hours of hard work and end up skunked at the same area someone else pulls a 2 karat diamond ring, did I miss it, am I a poor detectorist? I would just rather not even know about it. Especially being perpetually short on funds. I will note however, it does at times make me want to work even harder to be on par or above what I am seeing from others, so there is that saving grace. However it still remains that it probably does more harm to the gloating party as well, first thing I did when I joined the hobby was to find out who the braggarts doing well in my area were, find out where they hunt ect. It was not very hard being they publicly posted the info, although it was a poor choice on my behalf to begin the hobby in this way, but hey, these people seem to be successful and I too would like to be successful. The fact remains, these people seem to love the attention, and obviously do not hide their success. They will not offer any tips or help to fellow hunters, None that I have seen, they seem to be smart enough in that aspect as to not give the keys to success but only a glimpse as to what it looks like. Can’t blame them on that, would I give away all my secrets? No, but I’m not posting everything I find either. One can argue that it does feel good to share ones success with friends but is that sometimes at the other parties expense? This is something that I need to be watchful of as well, I do share with some close friends but at times feel bad about doing so, I had a friend jokingly threaten to stop hunting with me because I kept finding gold, but was it merely a joke or was it laced with some truth? I abruptly stopped reporting everything. This could hurt actual friendships when money is involved, not even money but pride, I’m positive my friend is not in it for financial gain. Perhaps that is my problem, being tight on money and relying more on my finds puts more pressure on me to succeed. I’m sure many treasure hunting stories end with the very premise. Also, with show and tell comes added attention to the hobby from outsiders and those newbies like we once all were, but do we need more hunters on the beaches already hammered? I’m already feeling sub par to my fellow hunters and don’t think added competition will help solve the issue. So I suppose that my take is this, show and tell does help build incentive, drive, raises the bar for one to try and achieve, and is fun to look at. It can also build resentment, or make others feel like they are under achieving. Perhaps I feel this way because I have made it a job instead of a hobby or could it be I just have gold fever? I have had my share of success, and to gauge my abilities to that of what others are posting is just silly. With all this I have decided I should remove myself from social media outlets, stop watching YouTube’s, cease to attend the monthly meetings and hopefully find the joy in the hunt and the catch again. I may get flamed for this, I understand the absurdity of some of it, but it’s nice to get this out as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts because you're not the only one thinking it. When I first started the hobby I would celebrate everyone's finds because I thought, "he found something valuable from the ground that was otherwise lost forever, he rescued it!" Time to celebrate! But since then, I have had stretches of skunk after skunk while my buddies are pulling the goods and its a bit of a downer.. I now force myself to think that they are still rescuing a lost item, and remove myself from the equation. Cfmct is right, their coil got over and mine didn't, all good 😀

Thanks for sharing your thoughts because you're not the only one thinking it. When I first started the hobby I would celebrate everyone's finds because I thought, "he found something valuable from the ground that was otherwise lost forever, he rescued it!" Time to celebrate! But since then, I have had stretches of skunk after skunk while my buddies are pulling the goods and its a bit of a downer.. I now force myself to think that they are still rescuing a lost item, and remove myself from the equation. Cfmct is right, their coil got over and mine didn't, all good 😀

Good point, I also must note that I am happy for my friends and not jealous at all. I just know there is enough for us all, sometimes I just think I am past due. Having thought about what I posted, I decided to do a long hunt and try not to worry about what I found. I had a great time just pulling quarters and junk. I think the KOB was correct and I just had some burn out.

Back
Top Bottom