Southeast Kansas folks.

Redd

Elite Member
If you are in the Pittsburg Kansas area, give me a buzz. I have a fantastic site lined up.

In Pittsburg Ks, there is a site of an old park that is now just forest. It had a zoo, vendors, and a race track. It was in operation from 1898 to 1906. My contact in Pittsburg is checking into the ownership of the property. I believe it's public land though. I grew up in Pittsburg and never knew of this park until a couple of weeks ago. I will be traveling there on April 29th and staying till May 4th.

I've been told that there's still remnants of the buildings and rides in the woods where the park once was. As far as my contact can discover it is still public land.

Kiowa RD and webekin available

We are over by Erie, KS 45 miles west and would love to hunt an old park/zoo/race track.

Living the dream

webekin

I'm here in Pittsburg, KS new here from SoCal, would love to do a hunt with you, PM me when it gets closer lets see what we can do Cliff

This thread is four years old?
I grew up in Pittsburg in the 50's and 60's as a third generation whelp. (My Mom's folks died of miners consumption from working the coal seams and Tri-state lead/zinc mines.) I never heard of any such location while I lived there. You're not talking about Lincoln Park or the golf course? The train and tubs were still there in 2014. The golf course use to be a woods on cow creek.
I do know that many of the old 'pits' areas we ran wild in as kids have been 'reclaimed'. Too bad. And the last time I was there to take a family military flag to the cemetery, the old part of town I grew up in was literally rotting away! You could smell it walking thru.What a great place to detect, if my health would just let me get "back Home". Ah, the musings of an old man.
So...after four years, did anyone find anything?

The post you got that from is from 2010, but I will be going to the seeded hunt in Baxter Springs on Nov 10th.

If you are in the Pittsburg Kansas area, give me a buzz. I have a fantastic site lined up.
Sorry to voodoo this zombie thread, but I will be in Pittsburg, KS this May. The 15th - 20th, or so. I grew up in Joplin, MO and my wife is from Pittsburg. I am curious about the old park. It sounds a bit similar to the way the Shiffer Decker Electric Park was constructed in Joplin's early days. I was unaware of a similar park in P-Town.

Back
Top Bottom