Prototype Equinox complete shaft, ASSEMBLED! (Pictures -- PROTOTYPE #2 PICS ADDED)

steveg

Elite Member
Hi, all!

I am happy to announce that parts for one of the two prototype Equinox complete shafts arrived today, and I finished assembly. I am VERY pleased with the quality of the parts -- especially the clamping cam lock, which was a large portion of the focus for the design. I have done a small amount of testing/evaluation of this prototype, and I am happy to say that the strength/security of the clamp is impressive, and at this point in my testing, definitely seems to meet the design intent. Overall, I see nothing about the shaft that needs to be changed/tweaked at this point. I plan to build the second prototype when parts arrive for it on Tuesday, and then will do more testing and evaluation of both shafts. Soon thereafter, I expect to place a "first order" for parts, from one of the two suppliers, so that I can FINALLY begin offering the shafts for sale!

Here are a few pictures...

Thanks!

Steve

fullshafttop-50.jpg

fullshaftside-rot-50.jpg

camlockandcoil2-50.jpg

camlocktop-50.jpg

camlockopen-50.jpg

camlockleft-50.jpg

camlockright-50.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great keep us updated please as I’m sure it will sell!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Mike, I'll keep everyone updated. I'll post the pictures from the other prototype as soon as it's assembled, and then will also get a thread up when they are ready for sale. Shouldn't be too much longer...

Thanks!

Steve

I put a note on your facebook page, "Steve's Detector Rods", But I want one as soon as they are available! The extra weight of the new 15 inch coil sealed the deal! Your counterweight idea was a big part too. I don't have wobble issues or major complaints about the stock shafts- it's wonderful with the 6 inch coil, a bit nose heavy with the 11 and I can really feel it with the 15! I love your cam locks. They are very similar to the ones on my Tarsacci MDT 8000 which are the best I have ever seen!

I put a note on your facebook page, "Steve's Detector Rods", But I want one as soon as they are available! The extra weight of the new 15 inch coil sealed the deal! Your counterweight idea was a big part too. I don't have wobble issues or major complaints about the stock shafts- it's wonderful with the 6 inch coil, a bit nose heavy with the 11 and I can really feel it with the 15! I love your cam locks. They are very similar to the ones on my Tarsacci MDT 8000 which are the best I have ever seen!

Tom,

THANK YOU for the very kind words, and for posting on my FB page!

I have you on my list, and will be happy to get you one just as soon as possible.

Yes, I'm very happy with the cam lock as well. That was far and away the most important part of the design, to me, and I spent more time working on that detail, than I like to admit! To me, this project would be worthless/pointless, without an extremely solid, secure, lightweight, high-quality cam lock. I also expect to be equally happy with the other one, coming from the other supplier Tuesday; it is VERY similar to this one, just slight differences. And yes, when I saw the Tarsacci cam lock, about a week ago, I noticed that, as well...mine is VERY similar -- NASA-Tom and I had recently talked about that very thing...

As you mentioned, the next order of business is to work to finalize the counter-balance design. Now that I have an actual prototype shaft in-hand, I can begin to finalize things from the counterweight perspective. I have a small supply of lead pellets arriving Tuesday, so I can begin to work out the final design...

THANKS!

Steve

Definitely interested. Any idea what the price range is going to be?

Pacer --

Forum rules prohibit me from posting prices anywhere except in a "for sale" ad, and since I'm not ready to post them for sale yet, I will PM you some details on preliminary pricing, momentarily.

Thanks for your interest!!

Steve

Wow, it is going to be harder than I anticipated to decide which supplier to choose! I received the parts for the second prototype today, and WOW! Another very high-quality, extremely strong/secure cam lock, and very nice tubes...I am EXTREMELY pleased, and encouraged. These are going to be really nice shafts...

Time for some side-by-side testing and evaluation, of the two prototypes!

Steve

camlocktop-50.jpg

camlockopen-50.jpg

camlockright-50.jpg

camlockleft-50.jpg

Based on the latest pics, the first set of parts, in my opinion, looks stronger and more appealing to the eye. They look as though mire effort was out into their molding process than the new piece.

Just my two cents!

I tend to agree, CJayC, although I can tell you that "in hand," the second feels at least as stout/strong as the first one. It's DEFINITELY a "heavy-duty" clamp, even although not looking quite as "refined," perhaps...

Since both seem equally stout, both hold the tubes VERY securely, and both function very similarly -- and very well, then things like "aesthetics" do take on a larger role than they otherwise might, when trying to make a final decision.

However, I have quite a few fairly important "details" to hammer out with the two companies, over the next couple of days, and how well each of them can handle these details and logistics will also play a VERY large role in helping me to finalize the decision...

Thanks for the thoughts!

Steve

For those commenting on the slight differences between the two cam locks, here is a picture of them side-by-side, with a few specs/measurements included, FWIW...

Thanks!

Steve

camspecs-smallrot.jpg

Hi all!

A couple of updates.

Lower rods for the Equinox and CTX 3030 are currently in stock.

Meanwhile, progress continues on the Equinox complete shafts; parts have now been ordered for the first production run; my target date at this point for the first shafts being ready for sale is mid-January.

In addition, I continue to make progress on the counter-balance design, for the optional counterweight system, and have arrived at prototype stage. I expect these to be available for anyone who wishes to add them as an optional accessory, at -- or shortly after -- shafts become available. More details will be forthcoming, or feel free to send me a message, if you are interested in more information on these.

FINALLY -- an exciting development; I have now hammered out the final details with my friend Jeff Herke, and can now announce that I will offer Herke arm cuffs with my shafts! These also will go up for sale at the same time as my shafts become available. At first, they will be a "limited time only" item, as the initial production run was for only a small number of cuffs -- which Jeff wishes to evaluate in terms of customer demand. Depending upon how well they sell, he will then decide whether to continue with additional production runs of the cuffs.

Anyone who has used a Herke arm cuff in the past, with one of their other machines, knows the quality that Jeff puts into them; I am excited to be able to offer them as an "optional accessory" to my shaft system. A padded neoprene cuff cover will also be an option, with the arm cuffs.

THANKS!

Steve

Herke? Wow that’s awesome he makes great stuff! Can’t wait to see this all done and complete as I’ll be the first in your list. Thanks for the update!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom