An Iron Key and Spoon with a story...

DoctorWhy

Searching around a late-1700's/mid-1800's cellar hole site that has yielded many 'treasures' in the past, including the recent find of an 1851 Trime, (https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=296193), I came across these two items several feet apart, and both beneath 2"-3" diameter tree roots.

It is always a joy to find an old skeleton key -- this one reasonably well-preserved for an old, long-lost iron one.

With the numerous spoons and spoon fragments I've found over the years, this one is particularly interesting because it tells a story and is a bit of a mystery at the same time. The style of spoon is identical to several I have found at this site, but what makes it unique is the melted hole in its bowl and the residue of melted lead, also in the bowl. Perhaps this spoon was used to ladle lead into bullet or fishing weight molds and melted when, held over a flame source for too long... It is always fun to find an artifact that shows the human touch and usage; that give a story -- and a mystery.

Happy hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• Key_Iron_Getchel_5-2022.jpg
    Key_Iron_Getchel_5-2022.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Spoon_Fragment_Brass_Melted_with_Lead-sm.jpg
    Spoon_Fragment_Brass_Melted_with_Lead-sm.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 148
Great finds. And always good when you can add the human interaction with objects. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom