Probably the finest merc I ever dug!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
The ranch permission we have contains three old townsites. We have permission to hunt two, while the other one is smaller but has rental properties on it, so its a no go. Today I went to the second one to scout it out. The grass is mostly easy to hunt around with some higher parts, but this area has another issue: rattlesnakes šŸ. So I tend to stay where the grass is shorter, and keep my eye on the ground ahead of me. This picture is from the school athletic field looking toward the NE. There is a foundation where the school was, but all the other buildings have been removed.

IMG_20220517_140841626.jpg

I didnt hunt there very long since its not much of a producer, so I crossed the road to where several cellar holes are visible, and where a theatre had once stood. My first good find was the 1913D wheat followed by the 1909 wheat in the same area. I walked towards the theatre and found the garter slide? that rang up like a nickel. About that time a hunting buddy showed up, so I chatted with him awhile. I turned back to where I found the wheats, and got a 25-27 on the NOX several inches down. I dug the plug, flipped it over, and using the pinpointer and my finger, I sow the nice glint of a silver dime! A 1920D merc, and probably the best looking merc I ever dug!

IMG_20220517_155956165 (2).jpg

On my way back to the truck, I got a nice screamer, and dug up the Chevrolet emblem.

IMG_20220517_171507118 (2).jpg

IMG_20220517_171504498 (3).jpg

IMG_20220517_171519649 (2).jpg

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice merc - is that a die crack on Liberty's neck? Maybe just an old scratch.

Nice write up TommyJay. Congrats on the Merc and wheats an the cool old Chevy emblem. The Merc is a beauty, does look like possibly a cracked die and the reverse looks close to having full split bands. Very interesting piece. And the 1909, VDB ? Good luck on your return. Mark

Sweet looking mercury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CW!

Just beautiful. Congrats!

Thank you!

That is a great looking Merc, Big Congrats!
Love the Chevy bowtie too!

Thanks Ron!

Dang, that merc must have just been dropped....... Congrats.

Thanks Nick!

Mercs are the prettiest coin they ever made !

Yes they are! I could dig them all day.

Nice! :cool:

FYI, emblem is 1930-39 Chevrolet

Thanks Gauntlet. I was wondering how old it was. Id like to ben it back, but the brass is too thick, and Im afraid i might break it. Nit sure if heat would help.

Nice merc - is that a die crack on Liberty's neck? Maybe just an old scratch.

Thanks Doug! I looked at it again tonight, and both lines rise above the the figure. Never thought about cracked dies when I first saw it, but if cracked dies make that kind of ridge, then thats what it is. Its definitely not an indentation.

Nice write up TommyJay. Congrats on the Merc and wheats an the cool old Chevy emblem. The Merc is a beauty, does look like possibly a cracked die and the reverse looks close to having full split bands. Very interesting piece. And the 1909, VDB ? Good luck on your return. Mark

Thanks Mark. I believe its from a cracked die. No VDB on the 09 :no:

Sweet finds, good luck on the return trips!

Thanks CD!

Nice Merc! Congrats

Thanks Jim!

Congrats on the fine looking Merc!

Thanks Longbow!

First thing i thought was die crack. Found a 1940 one.

I believe it is

Nice finds.

Thanks beep!

I was thinking the same thing. If so, it is more valuable.

I believe it is. What does it do to the value? Its not like a double die, right?

Awesome! Congrats!

Thanks BP!

Beautiful! I pulled a Rosie from a gravel turnout today, way on the other end of the spectrum :lol: still 'pretty' to me however!

Thanks GS!

That's what I thought and one on the head as well:yes:

There are some faint scratches by the eye, but those two are definitely raised lines.

A very nice specimen indeed! I was lucky enough to find a 1921 P last year, semi-key date. Sure wish it was as nice as your 1920.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom