Never leave home unprepared

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
This is gonna be a bit "windy", so get a drink, hit the head, whatever you gotta do :laughing:

Recently discovered some County owned property, which I found via map research. had a few houses on it, as well as barns. Drove past yesterday and saw it was half grass, half bare dirt. So I figured I'd hit it for a couple hours this AM.

Detector, pouch, and a bottle of water, left home at 6AM (90* day ahead). Pulled off the road, detected over an hour, nothing but junk, and I mean JUNK!

I'd noticed the farmer had pulled in, and saw they were turning dirt on the back portion of the same property. Poo! (not exactly what I'd said, but you get the drift.

I was going to leave, happen to see one of the guys and drove back to talk to him. Long story short, he gave me the OK to detect, I told him I'd stay out of the guys way (on the tractor/disc).

Drove 1/2 mile back on the road which got me within 1/4 mile of where I needed to be. Found a Wheatie pretty quick, TONS of old crockery, heavy glass, brick, everything you want to see. Kept swinging while paying attention to the tractor slowly working his way across the field, pass after pass.

Dug some relics, but not as many coins as I'd hoped. Tractor finally got close enough that I swapped sides, and was now in the soft disc'd dirt. I was in heaven...so I kept walking towards some power line poles, as I'd used those to reference where the other homesites were. More brick, crockery, and glass.

Dug another wheatie, and a '41 Merc. Tractor guy finished, and left. He came back (after lunch I assume), and hopped on the planter. Poo again! (you know). So now I'm wanting to stay and swing as much as I can before the field gets planted, good thing is he's on the other end.

Remember the ONE bottle of water I'd brought? Well, it was gone, and I was thirsty. I had to make the 1/2 mile round trip to the truck, because I had a pouch that weighed about 10 pounds, and I thought I'd had and extra bottle in the tool box, but NOOOOOOO. I did drink my extra coin sprayer bottle of water though. I didn't help :laughing:

Going full bore swinging, relic here and there, hot, thirsty, playing beat the clock. Here comes the guy I'd spoken with earlier, on a dozer. So I asked him if they would have the entire field planted today, "Yep". I said a silent poo this time.

Then he tells me I can hunt after it's planted, just if I dig a seed (soy beans), replant it. I can also go back after harvest, which he'd told me would be early this year (yeah! I hope all the fields are too!). So I left soon after, by now it's 2:30 in the afternoon. I was dehydrated and ready for some water.

So, I now keep 4 bottles of water in my toolbox. I don't care if it gets 100*, ass long as it's wet. I will also be taking a cooler from now on, regardless of how long I think I'll be detecting.

Onto the finds.....

Hand driven well point, crockery, axe head, buckles, bug round chunk of lead, and other odds & ends.

5-17-22-Junk.jpg

The goodies:

2 wheats, a clad dime, a '41 Merc, good luck token, top of a razor, skeleton key, toe tap, tax token, few buttons, one being a General Service.

5-17-22.jpg

Another button was a Hettrick Mfg Co

Hettrick-Mfg-Co-5-17-22.jpg

From this Company:

iu

And this M.W. & Co. padlock cover:

MW-Co-5-17-22.jpg

Stock pic:
iu

OK, now I need a nap...............

Great read/story and I see a reigns guide in there too (?).

Congrats on the great hunt and nice permission! Hindsight is 20/20 they say, good to get a safe refresher to preparedness.

Love the story, the finds, and the fact that you can still hunt it for awhile! I would add one more thing besides the water. Take a bucket so you can unload the weight from time to time. Learned my lesson the hard way after finding a bunch of lead.

Nice hunt and cool relics. Congrats.
Yep, keep water, snacks first aid kit, clothing, and a map book of your area in your vehicle at all times, just in case.

Great read/story and I see a reigns guide in there too (?).

Congrats on the great hunt and nice permission! Hindsight is 20/20 they say, good to get a safe refresher to preparedness.

Thanks! Yeah, I realized I'd forgotten to mention it. I was pretty tired. Agreed, I was 10 minutes from home, and could have left at any time, I just couldn't force myself to go, it's always that next swing :laughing:

Love the story, the finds, and the fact that you can still hunt it for awhile! I would add one more thing besides the water. Take a bucket so you can unload the weight from time to time. Learned my lesson the hard way after finding a bunch of lead.

Thanks! And agree, I also failed (but was implied) how nice of a guy the farmer was. They (farmers) generally are, which is why this is a preferred way for me to detect.

I do keep a bucket in the truck, but I hunted way longer than intended. I also wore a smaller belt-hung pouch, while my new suspension pouch was hanging in the barn waiting for it's trial run. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, DOH!

Nice hunt and cool relics. Congrats.
Yep, keep water, snacks first aid kit, clothing, and a map book of your area in your vehicle at all times, just in case.

Thanks! LOL, I have no excuse :laughing:

Great play by play, Gauntlet. Looks like a promising spot. Also a good reminder that I need to break out my CamelBack with the hot weather coming on.

Great play by play, Gauntlet. Looks like a promising spot. Also a good reminder that I need to break out my CamelBack with the hot weather coming on.

Thanks! Will be back out there at sunup in the morning.

Cooler setting by the door :laughing:

I never venture too far, so it wasn't like my life was in danger. I don't need Eastwood telling me I got to know my limitations, I know them :cool3:

Good thing is, with it being planted, I'll have some nice rows to use for gridding (I just "wandered" yesterday.

Bad thing is, they'll only be 15" wide, so the small coils went on the Vaq and DeLeon, and yes, I'm even taking 2 detectors just in case :laughing:

Well, went back this AM, prepared :laughing:

I hunted lightly, as the bean seeds were in the dirt. Didn't come up with much of anything (not surprised the way I was hunting), other than a few buttons (nothing pic worthy), a little lead, bottom case of a lighter, and this concho (at least I think that's what they're called), about the size of a half dollar.

I'm ready for fall :laughing:

Regardless, was a nice morning to be out in a field. :yes:

Oh, got an early AM call from my banks fraud dept, seems someone tried to make a couple purchases on my card, which they'd declined, so I had to go to the bank and get a new card. Plus side, the field I was in put me already half way there.

5-19-22.jpg

two knucklehead friends were out in the deep Georgia woods and forgot their waters. had wandered way back in intense heat in a great area. sooooo they came across a stump with a hollow, holding this nice clear water. Oh what the heck, its rain water, gotta be pure... looks like spring water pure.. tastes great, surely no giardia....

yea, they did.... :lol:

they were usually full of it anyway:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

two knucklehead friends were out in the deep Georgia woods and forgot their waters. had wandered way back in intense heat in a great area. sooooo they came across a stump with a hollow, holding this nice clear water. Oh what the heck, its rain water, gotta be pure... looks like spring water pure.. tastes great, surely no giardia....

yea, they did.... :lol:

they were usually full of it anyway:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:laughing:

iu

Wrong end, but same principal :laughing:

Nice story. I’m guessing you’ll be counting the day until those beans come down. I’m waiting for some hay to be mowed and some wheat to be cut.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Nice story. I’m guessing you’ll be counting the day until those beans come down. I’m waiting for some hay to be mowed and some wheat to be cut.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks, and yep, not just for that field, but I'd learned another farmer I have permission(s) from has more ground I didn't know about. Waiting on some wheat to come out as well.

So yeah, I'm past ready :lol:

Back
Top Bottom