Curbstrip tearout produces!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Last Thursday I noticed that the city had torn out some curbstrips along a main drag as I was leaving town. Yesterday evening I went over to look at it, and hunt it. some parts they didnt dig out as much as the rest, but they did scrape out the sidewalk base so I knew there would be some potential.

IMG_20220519_180717076_HDR.jpg

I only hunted the first homes yard length, and the first target I dug was coated in patina. I toothbrushed it enough to see that it was an IHP. I have it soaking in olive oil to see if I can get a date off of it. I next found a modern penny, a 1953 wheat, and a zincoln, then I dug the 1946 rosie.

IMG_20220519_193014963 (2).jpg

I went back this afternoon to hunt the rest of it, and got better results. I ended up digging 6 wheats, 3 of which I cant see the dates, a 1900 IHP, then a high tone that I though at first was a Barber quarter, but ended up being a silver 1900 Canadian 25 cent piece. Then I found the marble, the weird looking Egyptian badge (My historian daughter said that Egyptian looking pieces were popular in the 1920s), and my last two finds were the zip tab and the toy car piece. All of the patina coins, and the Canadian quarter are from underneath where the sidewalk was.

IMG_20220521_164409710_HDR (2).jpg

The road noise here is terrible, along with the EMI, but I dont think I missed any solid tones. I recently found that if the EMI is bad and hard to cancel, I could get rid of a lot of it by dropping down to the next lower recovery rate. I normally run it at a 6, but dropping it to a 5 helped immensely.

The city did the same to the block east of here, but they havent scraped out the sidewalk base yet......hopefully it will happen this week! Thanks for looking, and HH!

That was one form of hunting I'd always wanted to try, but never could find the demo. LOL, living rural doesn't lend itself to provide the spots either I guess.

Congrats, nice group of coins and relics. Good luck on the next round!

Nice job with the tearout recoveries.

Ive also noticed dropping the recovery speed will help eliminate emi in some cases where noise cancelling does nothing.

man oh man, it's kinda eerie knowing that there are such neat coins underneath sidewalks and streets and etc. there's something romantic about that, to me.

i'm glad you got to hunt that! how cool. props on those nifty finds, buddy. :)

man oh man, it's kinda eerie knowing that there are such neat coins underneath sidewalks and streets and etc. there's something romantic about that, to me.

Hmmm, wonder if they make an electric skidsteer?

One guy lifting the sidewalks, the other detecting under................

I've said too much, nevermind...

the electric skid steer.sounds intriguing makes me wonder if my "wall paper stretcher"
is something of value! hmmmm!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Congrats on the silver, Ihps, wheats and all the other cool finds TommyJay. Good job on hitting those tearouts. Never heard that before, Ill have to give dropping recovery speed a try next time I hit some serious EMI. Thanks for the tip. Good luck, Mark

Very nice recoveries. That sure is a bright green patina on those coins that were under the concrete!

Some really nice success Tom. Love that you took advantage of the opportunity when it was presented. Congrats on the Silver's, the Indians along with all the rest. Hope the other site proves to be as good. Trapper

I like that Canadian silver. And great location shot !

Thanks Tom!

That was one form of hunting I'd always wanted to try, but never could find the demo. LOL, living rural doesn't lend itself to provide the spots either I guess.

Congrats, nice group of coins and relics. Good luck on the next round!

Thanks Gauntlet. I keep checking the upcoming city projects, and this wasnt in there, so it was a pleasant surprise. I found out the city will be replacing some gas pipes in the alleyways on each side of main st. Both will go through the oldest part of town. :yes:

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks RJ!

Nice! Love the Canadian silver.

Thanks J!

Nice job with the tearout recoveries.

Ive also noticed dropping the recovery speed will help eliminate emi in some cases where noise cancelling does nothing.

Thank you. I discovered it by accident when I was hunting a house where the EMI was beyond obnoxious. I turned the sensitivity way down, but wanted more depth so I turned down the recovery just one step, and what a difference!

Thanks skwerl!

Congrats on the silver, Ihps, wheats and all the other cool finds TommyJay. Good job on hitting those tearouts. Never heard that before, Ill have to give dropping recovery speed a try next time I hit some serious EMI. Thanks for the tip. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark, and youre welcome!

Very nice recoveries. That sure is a bright green patina on those coins that were under the concrete!

Thanks silverhorse.

Some really nice success Tom. Love that you took advantage of the opportunity when it was presented. Congrats on the Silver's, the Indians along with all the rest. Hope the other site proves to be as good. Trapper

Thanks Trapper!

Super photos and play by play report.
Awesome!

Thanks atomic!

Nice hunting and great finds.

Thanks GS!

Awesome tearout finds (My first Buffalo nickel was at a sidewalk tearout)

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick!

Sidewalk tear outs are sweet

I agree the sidewalk tear outs are the best, I prowl around seeking them out. Also don’t forget follow the dirt, where the dump truck dumps the scrapings is very good stuff.

Attachments

• BF325036-6095-497B-866E-218100EE786D.jpg
    BF325036-6095-497B-866E-218100EE786D.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 135
  • AA1B65C6-A1A0-49AD-9155-72D8C0EDB7B2.jpeg
    AA1B65C6-A1A0-49AD-9155-72D8C0EDB7B2.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 137
I agree the sidewalk tear outs are the best, I prowl around seeking them out. Also don’t forget follow the dirt, where the dump truck dumps the scrapings is very good stuff.

NICE finds, Coast! I need to follow them out, but every time I have seen them leave, Im busy doing something else.

Back
Top Bottom