4 silvers for the 4th

BoTown

I hit up the old ball field where I dug a walker half last time out and triple silver the time before that. I’ve pretty well gridded the basepaths at this point, but I did some cleanup and hit a Merc. Thinking the ball field itself was pretty much tapped out at this point (it’s given up 7 silvers), I swung around an old tree near some tennis courts and only picked up some clad. Then I noticed an ugly looking patch of grass between the tennis courts and road. I figured it could have been undisturbed ground like the ball diamond is, and sure enough the first signal was another Merc. This was encouraging, so I started going real slow and almost immediately hit 2 wheaties in a row. A few feet away from that, I hit 2 silver Roosies about 10 feet from each other. I needed to wrap it up, but I’ll definitely be going back to that spot.
adcc121699eeb3b12c77a31405d4b0bf.jpg

Other notable finds were a pin that says “Boys & Girls Newspaper, Charter Subscriber,” which appears to be from the 1940s or so according to the little I could find online. I also pulled up what is exactly the same size as a nickel, but has almost no detail at all on it. It’s got some dirt stuck to it like glue that I’m going to try to get off and see if I can figure out what it is.
10dde8874d543b7b1dafd1b64b0b2236.jpg

Apologies for the lack of in-situ pics.
ed656c65ac4096551c2b7764403cabba.jpg

Nice. Wish we were allowed to dig the athletic fields here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Wish we were allowed to dig the athletic fields here.

Yeah, here it depends on the type of place. Newer dedicated athletic complexes are off limits (and obviously less interesting for detecting older stuff), but the older parks that have athletic areas are fine. A lot of the baseball fields have grass infields around the pitcher’s mound area for some reason, and the city gardeners ask that you stay out of that because it’s hard to keep the grass alive, but they don’t care if you dig in the base paths or outfield.

Maybe the nickel is a war nickel? Dip it in lemon juice for a little bit and see if that gunk starts to dissolve off.

Very possible. It wouldn’t be the first one I’ve found at this site, and the way it rang up I thought it was just a green wheatie until I got it home and realized it was bigger than I thought. That would explain why it rang up higher than the average nickel.

Back
Top Bottom