Crh 102?

YooperBSN

So I read the CRH 101 thread and I understand the basic premise of CRHing. Obviously, the goal is to examine volume to increase chances of a good find. I also get that one can CRH with a variety of purposes; errors, rares/keys, varieties, silver, etc. This said, is it worth the time, effort, and resources to keep coins with "garden variety" errors like machine doubling, push doubling, die deterioration doubling, cuds, die cracks, die clash, broad strikes, grease-filled strikes, etc? Obviously if the variety is an extreme example it may be worth something... for example, I found a 2015 dime with die deterioration doubling but the separation in the doubling is rather noticable. On the other hand, using a loupe I've found other examples of doubling that could not bee seen otherwise. I guess I'm trying to gauge the cost/benefit ratio of various approaches to CRHing...

So I read the CRH 101 thread and I understand the basic premise of CRHing. Obviously, the goal is to examine volume to increase chances of a good find. I also get that one can CRH with a variety of purposes; errors, rares/keys, varieties, silver, etc. This said, is it worth the time, effort, and resources to keep coins with "garden variety" errors like machine doubling, push doubling, die deterioration doubling, cuds, die cracks, die clash, broad strikes, grease-filled strikes, etc? Obviously if the variety is an extreme example it may be worth something... for example, I found a 2015 dime with die deterioration doubling but the separation in the doubling is rather noticable. On the other hand, using a loupe I've found other examples of doubling that could not bee seen otherwise. I guess I'm trying to gauge the cost/benefit ratio of various approaches to CRHing...

YooperBSN, KT is CRHing primarily for silver...essentially only halves, but He is also known for picking out any eye visable errors, such as cuds, prominent die cracks and broad strikes, along with proofs. With halves, KT also picks low mintage halves, one roll a year, and all 1987 kens. The low mintage years are strictly speculative that they may eventually be interesting to collectors. His Majesty spends no time with a hand lens looking for machine doubling, minor die cracks, ect. as He is not convinced they are worth saving. Every collector has a reason for deciding what to keep and what to dump when CRHing.

YooperBSN, KT is CRHing primarily for silver...essentially only halves, but He is also known for picking out any eye visable errors, such as cuds, prominent die cracks and broad strikes, along with proofs. With halves, KT also picks low mintage halves, one roll a year, and all 1987 kens. The low mintage years are strictly speculative that they may eventually be interesting to collectors. His Majesty spends no time with a hand lens looking for machine doubling, minor die cracks, ect. as He is not convinced they are worth saving. Every collector has a reason for deciding what to keep and what to dump when CRHing.

Thanks! That really helps. I picked up $30 in dimes yesterday using my clad money that I've found MDing. I figure that my chances of finding anything are slim (especially with my low-volume batches), but I also figure that I'm not out anything as I am just recycling "found" money in the hopes of picking up the odd silver or other above-face-value coin.

I’m another that has not much interest in errors. I’ve been CRH’ing since the late 1970’s as a teen and have pulled thousands of silvers, also other misc coins such as wheats. For me it’s a hobby, always has been. I do know of others that pull errors and resale on ePay, but like I mentioned, making or losing money really is of no concern.

Thanks! That really helps. I picked up $30 in dimes yesterday using my clad money that I've found MDing. I figure that my chances of finding anything are slim (especially with my low-volume batches), but I also figure that I'm not out anything as I am just recycling "found" money in the hopes of picking up the odd silver or other above-face-value coin.

That is a good way to go! KT rarely found any silver coins when He was MDing the Royal Totlots, but never even thought of trying to cycle those finds into rolls with the hopes of getting some silver that way! Good approach!

That is a good way to go! KT rarely found any silver coins when He was MDing the Royal Totlots, but never even thought of trying to cycle those finds into rolls with the hopes of getting some silver that way! Good approach!

I figure it can't hurt, right? One more question, if I may... How does one differentiate between a proof and a low-circulation coin; say, a 2019 nickel. That said, I don't even know if I could differentiate between a well circulated coin and a proof...

Have fun with the roll hunting but the types of errors you mention have very little value. I've been collecting coins since the 1950's and at one time owned a coin store so I'm speaking from a position of knowledge. Keep what you like and recycle the rest.

Have fun with the roll hunting but the types of errors you mention have very little value. I've been collecting coins since the 1950's and at one time owned a coin store so I'm speaking from a position of knowledge. Keep what you like and recycle the rest.
That's kind of what I figured, especially as I do not have a lot of cash that I can afford to tie up in CRHing. Thanks for the input!

I figure it can't hurt, right? One more question, if I may... How does one differentiate between a proof and a low-circulation coin; say, a 2019 nickel. That said, I don't even know if I could differentiate between a well circulated coin and a proof...

A proof has a mirror finish on the background and light frosting on the portrait on the obverse (heads) side. It also now has an S mint mark as they are now only made at the San Francisco mint. A low circulation coin will have a nice, but not mirror, luster on both portrait and field and will have no mint mark or a P for Philadelphia or D for Denver mint mark. Oh, the appearance of a proof next to a well circulated coin is remarkable. Even to the inexperience eye, it can be seen from across the room. KT suggests you visit a coin show for an eye-opening education! Ha ha.

A proof has a mirror finish on the background and light frosting on the portrait on the obverse (heads) side. It also now has an S mint mark as they are now only made at the San Francisco mint. A low circulation coin will have a nice, but not mirror, luster on both portrait and field and will have no mint mark or a P for Philadelphia or D for Denver mint mark. Oh, the appearance of a proof next to a well circulated coin is remarkable. Even to the inexperience eye, it can be seen from across the room. KT suggests you visit a coin show for an eye-opening education! Ha ha.
Thanks KT, I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom