Should you dig iron signals in modern areas?

Pleas be clear. Interesting 'iron' gives high tones between the iron tones.
Forged iron gives higher tones in between then simple iron.
Corroded silver (with iron deposit) mostly gives high tones in between to.
Agreed?

I agree that a very old and smaler object (roman, celtic) long in the ground can get an iron deposit and gives iron tones only.
But that wasn't the question. The question was "in modern areas" and there iron is 1/ rubbish or 2/ gives better tones in between. So on pure iron signals i do not dig.

That small chain was iron and only iron.
No high tones in between iron signals...it was all and only iron so you never would have dug this one if you don't dig pure iron.
I agree, most iron signals are usually junk but sometimes they aren't.
Chains are usually weird, I have found a ton of them, many silver and 1 in gold, (also an iron only signal), and they all came in lower than you think they should because of the way they are seen and processed by most detectors.
Also broken or cracked open rings will do the same because of something called Eddy Currents.

Last edited:
I use the AT Pro, not sure what machine you are using, unless I am relic hunting I do not dig anything in the 30's or below, and I don't generally dig anything in the 40's unless there is a good chance of a gold ring.

I use this same machine my gold usually comes in around 48,49 50..If these numbers come up I'm digging them ....

but I have found at 42 and 58..which I thought was another pull tab but was a 18K small dollar bill pendant... If it's repeatable signal dig it.

I use Pro Zero and discrimination at 29...

silver that I found will be from about 71 and up....good luck.

That small chain was iron and only iron.
No high tones in between iron signals...it was all and only iron so you never would have dug this one if you don't dig pure iron.
I agree, most iron signals are usually junk but sometimes they aren't.
Chains are usually weird, I have found a ton of them, many silver and 1 in gold, (also an iron only signal), and they all came in lower than you think they should because of the way they are seen and processed by most detectors.
Also broken or cracked open rings will do the same because of something called Eddy Currents.

What do you know....haha...miss you bud....

Back
Top Bottom