How I cleaned this steel penny...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Ok, don't give me any grief about cleaning coins because I know all about that.
Sometimes, however, if they are so bad that you can't do any more harm, why not try?

This is about cleaning steel coated zinc war pennies because I have a lot of them and they are wrecked.
I found these in 4 rolls of pennies I got from the bank last year, and that was an exciting few days for me when I did.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77670

Evidently, these were kept in a damp place for decades and when I first opened those rolls you couldn't even tell they were pennies, let alone steel wheats.
With a little tumbling they were a little better, but then I stopped and left them alone.

Still have them...

P1030116.jpg

The other day I found a video on youtube that some guy posted that showed him cleaning a few steel pennies, not dug, that were a little rusty.

Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water...mix well and soak pennies for a few minutes and the rust should come off.
I tried it and it worked a little, but mine are so rusted that I didn't think anything would help.

By accident, one of the 4 pennies I put in the solution was left soaking in there for the last 24 hours and I just pulled it out and I was shocked!

This thing started out like this...

P1030136.jpg P1030137.jpg

and now it looks like this...

P1030125.jpg good b.jpg

Not bad, huh?

It sure looks better than most of the steel cents I see being sold on the wholesale coin sites out there, but it still looks normal to me, not 'cleaned" like they would if I used a brush or something harsh like that.

Still don't know what I am going to do with all of these things, but the first step is to clean them up and attempt to make them worth more than they were in that rusty condition.

Wish me luck!

I got a few steelys, gave one to seanprodanas and have another in my 1943 coin set and a couple in my ....bowl of stuff....they look nice, they do kind of look wierd though when they are in a set of nothing but silver coins...the dime, nickel quarter and half dollar

That is an incredible transformation. I may have to try this on the ones I received from you last year. Thanks again for helping me fill my collection.

Very nice. Will it work on my LC i just found. Its really rusted out too

I tried this lemon juice method on a pre 82 copper, a very common wheatie, and a common IH. the pre 82 had been tumbled and was fairly clean, wheatie had be through a peroxide bath but still had crud on it, and IH had been soaked in olive oil and still looked like trash. After 30 min to an hour all 3 looked amazing, but still had patina on them or a little crud. I flipped them over to make sure it was an even cleaning and left to detect for about 1.5 hours. Upon returning I took them out and washed them with dawn in the sink to get the juice off them. They were all corroded beyond recognition. I couldn't even determine which one was which type of coin:mad:

My $0.0000002 worth is, either don't EVER use lemon juice on copper, or make sure you are there to monitor it and only do 15-30 minutes absolute tops!

I tried this lemon juice method on a pre 82 copper, a very common wheatie, and a common IH. the pre 82 had been tumbled and was fairly clean, wheatie had be through a peroxide bath but still had crud on it, and IH had been soaked in olive oil and still looked like trash. After 30 min to an hour all 3 looked amazing, but still had patina on them or a little crud. I flipped them over to make sure it was an even cleaning and left to detect for about 1.5 hours. Upon returning I took them out and washed them with dawn in the sink to get the juice off them. They were all corroded beyond recognition. I couldn't even determine which one was which type of coin:mad:

My $0.0000002 worth is, either don't EVER use lemon juice on copper, or make sure you are there to monitor it and only do 15-30 minutes absolute tops!

Yep.

Copper and steel...two completely different metal types.

Tried one for myself

Based on that amazing transformation, I had to try it on one of mine.

Unbelievable results. Now i'm going to do it on the d and s mint.

Attachments

• steeel Restored.jpg
    steeel Restored.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 30,504
Now I want to try! Gotta pick up lemon juice... Did you guys use store bought or squeeze it yourself?

The soak has begun! I'm starting out on the worst steelie. Then I may try the other two that I have.

Back
Top Bottom