How do you clean Civil War relics?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
I have some bullets am pretty sure are CW and can't get them clean enough to see the rings on them. Appears I have 3 ringer. I scrubbed with toothbrush and water and most of the patina or white crust came off except there is either mud or corrosion in the "ring" part I can't get clean and am afraid to do anything more.

I also have several pieces that appear to be clasps or buckles from knapsacks or other gear that are corroded to the max and a coat button also. Toothbrush and water doesn't do a thing for them. How do I clean these things?

I also use toothpics and kabob skewers on bullets and lightly dirty buttons. Corroded buttons are hard to clean. If you see gold on the button, try soaking in ammonia for a few minutes, then brush with a small soft paint brush, then repeat untill satisfied. You need an electrolysis setup for rusty iron relics. But as always, if its too hard to clean, then it's probably better to just leave it alone. As far as bullets, you want them to keep the white patina. Bullets that come from wet ground or underwater will be gray. You just want to get the dirt off. HH -Wolf

I'm amazed the patina came off .... I run CW bullets through the ringer (except cleaners as they are fragile) and have never had so much as a chip.

weird

Trying Freezing it in distilled water

Try Freezing it in distilled water and then breaking it out of the ice. You may have to do it several times to get it as clean as you can. I read and article written by an archaeologist that this is how he rid museum specimens of dirt without damaging them. The dirt sticks to the ice.

I figure it can't hurt.

Using electrolysis

I have found that patients and perseverance is key. Obviously rubber gloves, nylon brush, tooth brush, and some wooden picks help with removal. Just keep cleaning it till you think it's done. At least to your liking. Remember this method can and will damage items left to long. So be sure to test items of no particular consequence of same or similar composition (i.e. brass, copper, iron, etc...)to achieve accurate timelines.

I use warm water, a soft toothbrush, and a bit of dishwashing soap. I scrub lightly so as not to chip/wear down the white patina.

It's that white patina that gives the round, character!

How about some pictures. I've never seen a CW bullet that had the rings obstructed and not easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom