9V Rechargables

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Yes I know, 9V is outdated, blah-blah-blah :p Some us aren't just old, but old school :oldguy:

Last batch I'd purchased is getting low, and looking at them yesterday, like everything else, are overpriced. So I did a bit of reading last night and read where many of the 9V rechargeable fall far short of 9V following recharging.

Then I'd read about these:

Powerex MH-C490F Stealth Two-Hour Compact 4-Bank NiMH Battery Charger Kit with Included 9.6V Batteries

iu

Which charge to 9.6V. They aren't cheap ($90 for 4 batteries and charger), but are supposed to be good for over 1000 charges, which will be much cheaper than buying disposables in the long run. Traced them to AMZ, then went to sellers site and purchased for the same price (as well as free shipping).

If you have had any experience with them, feel free to chime-in, good or bad, so I know what to expect :lol: If not, I'll come back after having the chance to use them.

I use Kastar 9v rechargeable batteries. These you can plug right into almost any common cell phone charger that utilizes a micro USB. I've had them for a few years, and have not noticed any loss of memory, and they can last much longer than a standard 9v. I would absolutely recommend and buy another set if I ever needed too.
Kastar 2 Pack Micro USB Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer 9V Battery LI9V Works with Toys, Clock, Multimeter, Digital Camera and Game Controller as 6F22 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079163159/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_D9RNKW8F7GS0S42D4AB2
15$ for 2 seems much more reasonable as well. They have a button on the side that has 3 LED's, so when you push the button, it should show you the level of charge. I have noticed this feature does not work very well, but other than that, they have worked flawlessly.

I've used the Powerex AA batteries with charger and they did great. I had no complaints.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, good to know! I'd have to think the satisfaction would be the same for the 9V's. They have extremely good reviews (thousands).

I use Kastar 9v rechargeable batteries. These you can plug right into almost any common cell phone charger that utilizes a micro USB. I've had them for a few years, and have not noticed any loss of memory, and they can last much longer than a standard 9v. I would absolutely recommend and buy another set if I ever needed too.
Kastar 2 Pack Micro USB Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer 9V Battery LI9V Works with Toys, Clock, Multimeter, Digital Camera and Game Controller as 6F22 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079163159/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_D9RNKW8F7GS0S42D4AB2
15$ for 2 seems much more reasonable as well. They have a button on the side that has 3 LED's, so when you push the button, it should show you the level of charge. I have noticed this feature does not work very well, but other than that, they have worked flawlessly.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know the full-charge voltage? I'd looked (somewhat, though briefly) and didn't see any others with a 9.6V full charge voltage.

While the 4 batteries I'd ordered will give me spares (unless I loan someone a MD and PP), the 2 hour charge time was a bonus as well, though I don't know what situation I'd ever be in where that would be an issue. If there were, I could still swap in a regular alkaline.

Thanks! And it's good info for someone else who may be in the market.

Never owned that brand but bought EBLs in a 2 pack and a 4 pack. In a year one charger and 2 of the batteries croaked. I didn't think they lasted near as long per charge as an alkaline so Im not sure they're worth it when you can get 8 alkalines for $12.

I use the Powerex 9.6 batteries to power my home brew trail cams and they work well...saving money for sure over the alkalines

Never owned that brand but bought EBLs in a 2 pack and a 4 pack. In a year one charger and 2 of the batteries croaked. I didn't think they lasted near as long per charge as an alkaline so Im not sure they're worth it when you can get 8 alkalines for $12.

I looked this brand up, and looks like their full charge operating voltage was only 8.4V. This was why I'd chosen the brand I did, over 1V more.

And you know what they say about more power :lol: Thanks!

iu

I use the Powerex 9.6 batteries to power my home brew trail cams and they work well...saving money for sure over the alkalines

Good to hear, Thanks!

Delivered today, I guess I'd forgotten the mention of a 12v car adapter being included, slim chance I'd need it, but nice to have "just in case".

Tesoro's are notorious for tight battery compartments, and while these batteries are .025" thinner, and .010 longer than an alkaline, they fit the same.

I knew they came "ready to use", and checked voltage on 2 of the 4 batteries, 10.25 V.

So at least at this point, until I get to use then, totally happy with purchase. I might buy some AA's for the DeLeon and Fisher if I'm satisfied with the 9V's.

Got these from JZS Camera & Electronics, no affiliation (and mentioning since they're not sold by site sponsors). Found them on AMZ, but don't use AMZ, so went straight to their site. Same price same free shipping.

Well, after more reading, I'm just more confused :?: :laughing:

Looking into the rechargeable AA's, I don't want the 1.2v. Times 8 batteries, that's quite a drop. I did find NiZn's at 1.6v, but they claim they're for high draw uses (camera flash, lanterns, etc.), and I don't believe a detector fits that criteria.

I also read mixed reviews, as well as suppliers seem limited (amz).

So, unless someone can enlighten me, looks like I'll be sticking with the alkaline (single use) batteries for the DeLeon and 1265X. They don't see constant use, but I intend to increase it from hardly ever seeing daylight :lol:

Batteries can be very confusing... Premium nimh aa rechargeables are called 1.2 v but are actually 1.4 when fully charged. They drain evenly and are still working well at 1.25v. Lithium AAs are 1.8v but once they get below 1.6v they
fall fast and are shot. Alkalines are around 1.6v when new and once they get below 1.4v they are about done.

Well, after more reading, I'm just more confused :?: :laughing:

Looking into the rechargeable AA's, I don't want the 1.2v. Times 8 batteries, that's quite a drop. I did find NiZn's at 1.6v, but they claim they're for high draw uses (camera flash, lanterns, etc.), and I don't believe a detector fits that criteria.

I also read mixed reviews, as well as suppliers seem limited (amz).

So, unless someone can enlighten me, looks like I'll be sticking with the alkaline (single use) batteries for the DeLeon and 1265X. They don't see constant use, but I intend to increase it from hardly ever seeing daylight :lol:

Most devices (metal detectors and others) that use 9V batteries can handle the higher voltages from a 9.6v (8 cell) nickel-based rechargeable 9V battery. For example, I use two 9.6v rated LSD NiMH batteries in my Fisher F2 and they both read well over 10volts per battery when fresh off the charger, but they work perfectly in the detector. The specific batteries I'm referring to are the Tenergy Centura batteries you can find on Amazon.com. Given how you want to use the batteries in rarely used devices, getting LSD batteries is a good idea (unless the devices have notable parasitic draw).

Unless the battery is regulated, the only way you're gonna get 9 volts from a 9V battery is if you use alkaline cells...that's just how the battery chemistries work (alkaline = 1.5 nominal volts per cell, NiMH/NiCd = 1.2 nominal volts per cell, lithium ion/poly = 3.6 or 3.7 nominal volts per cell, etc.).

If you're really worried about the higher voltage, there are 7 cell NiMH 9V rechargeable batteries out there. I think those are close to about 9.5 volts fresh off the charger, even though their nominal voltage is 8.4v.

Note, nominal volts per cell is basically "average" voltage during a typical discharge. As you've noticed, most rechargeable batteries will read much higher voltages when fresh off the charger. But, these higher voltages will start to drop over the next few hours and while under load.

No experience with Powerex, but I can say 8.4V would have been just fine. Alkaline 9V spends very little time at 9V. See pic. Your device may run longer or shorter than the one used in the graph, but the curves will be similar.

Perhaps more important is mAh. An alkaline is typically rated 500. These Powerex are rated 230, so they'll only run about half as long. Li-ion 9V rated 500+ mAh are the hot ticket for a rechargeable 9V.

Pretty much same rules for AA.. Most devices are fine with 1.2V per cell, and alkaline AAs pass right through there on the way to empty. NiMH AAs nowadays last as long as Alkalines (similar mAh) so that's where I'd look.

Attachments

• rtaImage.gif
    rtaImage.gif
    4 KB · Views: 344
No experience with Powerex, but I can say 8.4V would have been just fine. Alkaline 9V spends very little time at 9V. See pic. Your device may run longer or shorter than the one used in the graph, but the curves will be similar.

Perhaps more important is mAh. An alkaline is typically rated 500. These Powerex are rated 230, so they'll only run about half as long. Li-ion 9V rated 500+ mAh are the hot ticket for a rechargeable 9V.

Pretty much same rules for AA.. Most devices are fine with 1.2V per cell, and alkaline AAs pass right through there on the way to empty. NiMH AAs nowadays last as long as Alkalines (similar mAh) so that's where I'd look.

Thanks for the info. If I make it to a 10 hour a day hunt, I'll swap in another battery and put the removed battery in the charger.

Then go to bed for a couple days :lol:

Tesoro's are notorious for tight battery compartments, and while these batteries are .025" thinner, and .010 longer than an alkaline, they fit the same.

The 9V batteries come in different sizes, some longer or thicker than others, very little size difference but enough for some to be a tight fit in the Tesoro battery compartment.

I have Nokta pinpointer and some 9 volt rechargeable batteries fit really tight. Their lengths vary as well. One two pack that I got from Amazon were too tall and I couldn't get the cap back on the pointer properly. A regular Duracell or Energizer or even a cheap off brand alkaline battery fits just fine. It's just the rechargeable ones that I have issues with fit.

Usually a 9 volt charges to 8.4 to 8.6 volts depending on the battery. If I recall a AA rechargeable is only around 1.2 volts. 9.6 volts would be awesome but the picture shows that they're only 230 mAh. Usually a 9 volt rechargeable is 350 mAh or higher. Those will have a shorter life in between charge cycles than most others.

I use Powerex Imedion 250 9v batteries in both my Tesoro Silver Max and Garrett ProPointer and have had great luck with them.
They last a full day(8:30AM to 3:30 PM) and still have power to spare. Not expensive either.
I'm also trying the EBL 600mAh 9V lithium Ion batteries and will let you know how they are.They are slightly larger, and seem lighter. Can't stand the USB charger though

I don't need rechargeable batteries. I live in an apartment and they save the 9 volt batteries for me when they change the smoke alarms. They test almost new and work just fine.

I ran my "carrot" all season on one rechargeable 9 volt, so guess I will continue till one dies, and I have the 4 pack ! I realize the pinpointers probably don't take much power, but " just about everything I own " runs on rechargeable's, or built in " wireless " things.
too_

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom