XP MI-4 owners

Solong

Well I need another pin pointer. I have been looking at the XP MI-4 and was wondering what the people that have one had to say. Good or bad.

I will be using it with my simplex without headphones. I’m concerned about the frequency range messing with the detector.

Thanks

Well I need another pin pointer. I have been looking at the XP MI-4 and was wondering what the people that have one had to say. Good or bad.

I will be using it with my simplex without headphones. I’m concerned about the frequency range messing with the detector.

Thanks

Most handheld pinpointers including the Mi-4 operate at around 12 kHz or are pulse induction (like the Fisher F-Pulse) so any of them could easily interfere with your Simplex. That is what the frequency shift on the 12 kHz Simplex is for. You should be able to find a quiet frequency. Also, most people have their handheld pinpointer way too close to the the detector's coil when recovering targets. Just keeping them at least 3 feet apart will help a lot of the cross talk.

I think most pinpointers have the option for vibrate only. My Fisher F-pulse does, and I believe my carrot could? Though I haven’t had a carrot in a while so might not be remembering that correctly.

I pretty sure my Pro Find 35 didn’t and I thought my Carrot didn’t, but I didn’t like either one so they went to family members. I’m back to using my old TRX now, but it’s getting long in the tooth. I need to try either the F-Pulse or MI-4 next.

I just checked the Carrot, and it has vibration only. Also the Pro Find 35 had vibration only, I had it for a short time also.

The F-Pulse and the MI-4/6 are my two favorite pinpointers. It's hard to say which is my absolute favorite right now, the nod may goto the MI-6 because I love the way the audio works. Depth is very close between the two, haven't tested but the F-pulse might edge it out a little.

I don’t care about the difference in depth. Which one of the two has the most user friendly way to turn the sensitivity down to an inch or inch and a half? I have no use for a pinpointer that detects four or five inches away. I use a Nox, so I don’t need the 6.

I don’t care about the difference in depth. Which one of the two has the most user friendly way to turn the sensitivity down to an inch or inch and a half? I have no use for a pinpointer that detects four or five inches away. I use a Nox, so I don’t need the 6.

The MI4 is easily detuned - just press/release the button while on the target.

Setting signal strength is pretty easy as well - I think you press/hold button for 3 seconds (it beeps) then you press/release the button for the strength level (once for the weakest, twice for a bit more, three times for more).

I don't bother changing the signal strength on my MI4, so my comment (above) is from memory and subject to correction.

You can download the owner's manual from XP's website.

Back
Top Bottom