Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 01-19-2022, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheDrtyBrger View post
He turned 10 yesterday, so I guess this will be a late birthday present!! I will start him with the 330 and when he gets a little older if he's still into it I'll upgrade it for him. Thanks for the advice!!
You're welcome and happy hunting!

Make sure you have extra AA batteries on hand. If he really gets into it, it'll be worth investing in some rechargeables, like Eneloops.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:51 PM
Supporter

All in - I like it! If he's into it, you two are in for some quality time together.

Enjoy!

Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 PM

Be sure and use headphones with the 340.
Mrs. atomicbrh prefers the 340 to all the other detectors we have.
It works way above its price point.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:20 PM

Well I just broke the news to him, another trip to cabelas tomorrow lol. He's super excited, hoping the vanquish 340 is good enough otherwise we may have to order the 540.

thats fantastic you both are going to have a great time dirt fishing wait till you hand it to him I had told my grandson I would get him a detector of his own but never told hi exactly when

I just recently received it from UPS I put the simplex plus together and charged up the batteries for it and the wireless headphones that came with the simplex plus I called my son and had him to bring my grandson over the next day he asked me if that was my new detector and I told him no that is his new detector he had a smile from ear to ear

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:39 PM

We got the vanquish 340 today! He loves it! I was happy with how adjustable it was!! Thanks again everyone for the help and quick responses! Can't wait to post some finds! It snowed last night, so may be a week or two LOL

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:19 AM

keep us all posted on how the detecting goes

One other suggestion
I do not know where you and your son will be detecting but if in parks get you and him a good small hand digger I can highly recommend the Predator tools Raptor hand digger
If you are going to be digging in open field areas I recommend getting you and him a decent metal detecting shovel which I can Highly recommend a Predator tools Phoenix shovel and a Predator tools Lady Bug Shovel the Lady bug shovel I use in rocky areas and the phoenix I use in areas that have fewer or no rocks

They are both fantastic shovels and the raptor hand digger is equally as good

they will seem to be a little pricey when you see them but they are well worth the price the small $10 shovels will work but be prepared to replace often because of breakage

Old 01-23-2022, 07:43 PM

This sounds like a great thing for the 2 of you. Can't wait to see your finds. Definitely get some good rechargeable batteries, you will thank yourself later. Stay safe and Happy Hunting! You picked some very good machines.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Sponsor

Great choices. Sounds like you guys are gonna have a blast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
405-206-9010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Authorized

Minelab partner of year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Elite Member

Smile

We got the vanquish 340 today! He loves it! I was happy with how adjustable it was!! Thanks again everyone for the help and quick responses! Can't wait to post some finds! It snowed last night, so may be a week or two LOL
Have fun with your new detectors! Personally, my brothers & I have really enjoyed metal detecting together, and I hope that you and your son do, as well. Thanks for joining us, and please do post your finds!

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2021 Coin Count: $3.58
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer