Could be bad news for White’s fans

So why buy Whites? There has to be a strategy somewhere. Garrett has to have something going on.

yeah! the strategy is they reviewed whites patents, and engineering data, and found
"nothing" current enough to take a chance on reinstating, apparently not even the Multi-freq
$1,200.00 flag ship.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I sure can’t see why they bought Whites.

They already have pinpointer market locked up in USA imo.

Apex just based on when it was released seems wasn’t a spin off of say dfx or v3i.

The mxt, imo even if you put it in smaller box and had weight shaved, it wouldn’t be too popular at all. Past its time since it is not multi freq.

Color screen maybe adopted from V3i? Maybe. But that screen by today’s standards too big and heavy.

TDI ? Now this is the only reason I could see Garrett making some headway. A lighter waterproof TDI might sell. Of courses Minelab just released another pi unit. And seems Nokta Makro is working on one too according to Dilek.

Personally I think Garrett wasted a bunch of $$$.

Maybe I will be proved wrong.

Surely they didn’t buy whites just for the 24k gold detector (tech).
Hope not.

I think their buying White’s showed weakness. Just my opinion. I just bought Garrett pinpointer new. So I am supporting them when I can.
Thought about buying Apex. But seeing that one herein classifieds sit so long for that cheap. Red flag went up for me.

If Garrett wants to send me a product to review and test. I will. And do best job I can. I try to call balls balls and strikes strikes. I am far from the so-called yes man.
I wasn’t a yes man in the military either. And the commissioned officers appreciated that. They knew they got the truth from me. No B.s or a_ _ kiss _ _ _ . I heard this. Sgt xxx you’re a good guy to have around. I made those officers look so good. By keeping them out of trouble briefing them on what they needed to know to head of problems and possible catasphophes.

Cheers.

Just remember you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

A little story.
Had this colonel back when who was head cheese for our aircraft maintenance outfit of 600 folks.
I woulda go to staff meetings in the afternoon being a Senior NCO and answer any questions I could.

There’s were 2 instances i’ll Talk about here. And this same colonel was present.

First incident was there was an aircraft that had popping circuit breaker on anti ice system. This system was not part of my specialty. My specialty was avionics. Anit ice system belonged to aircraft electricians. Anyways this aircraft has been broke for this problem for about week. And this problem was a triple repeat reported after aircraft flight.

I sat and listened to this colonel asking questions and listened to the other Senior NCOs and officers in charge of the electricians responsible for the system. So when the discussion seemed was over, I spoke up and said, btw anyone ever changed the circuit breaker on the system? I added that circuit breaker due to high current of system has probably been popped a zillion times and maybe it won’t hold a load. Room got quiet as a mouse. You could hear a pin drop. That colonel was thinking how in the hell do you being avionics from know anything about the anti icing system. He didn’t Know I had been paying attention since my being in aircorce going to aircraft flight debriefs, as I was well aware loads of circuit beaker popping problems with C-130 aircraft anti icing system. I went back the next few days. Never heard another word about this aircraft being still broken for this problem. I never got any credit publically either from the higher ups. I know what fixed the plane cause it was leaked to mw.

Second incident was this same colonel on another broken aircraft kept asking this 1st LT whom I liked and had a lot of respect for. He was no yes man either btw. Anyways this colonel asking this Lt the same question about 4 times in a row just rephrasing each time. He didn’t like the Lt’s answer. After the Lt was asked the 4 th time. He replied to the colonel. Sir if you can’t stand the answer don’t ask the question. I about fell out of my seat. The room got quiet as a moise with some 35 personel in the meeting room. The Lt was being honest with the colonel. Not good enough Though it seems. That colonel was not someone who should be involved with product manufacturing or product improvement. He only wanted yes men-and women working for him. Too bad. He was a bad leader imo.

Guess I was always the underdog, having no college degree having to associate with the college educated officers. Hey I stood in there. Wasn’t feared one bit. This bothered some of them too. But seems I made sense most times.

Apex just based on when it was released seems wasn’t a spin off of say dfx or v3i.

The mxt, imo even if you put it in smaller box and had weight shaved, it wouldn’t be too popular at all. Past its time since it is not multi freq.

Color screen maybe adopted from V3i? Maybe. But that screen by today’s standards too big and heavy.

TDI ? Now this is the only reason I could see Garrett making some headway. A lighter waterproof TDI might sell. Of courses Minelab just released another pi unit. And seems Nokta Makro is working on one too according to Dilek.

Hope not.

I think their buying White’s showed weakness. Just my opinion. I just bought Garrett pinpointer new. So I am supporting them when I can.
Thought about buying Apex. But seeing that one herein classifieds sit so long for that cheap. Red flag went up for me.

If Garrett wants to send me a product to review and test. I will. And do best job I can. I try to call balls balls and strikes strikes. I am far from the so-called yes man.
I wasn’t a yes man in the military either. And the commissioned officers appreciated that. They knew they got the truth from me. No B.s or a_ _ kiss _ _ _ . I heard this. Sgt xxx you’re a good guy to have around. I made those officers look so good. By keeping them out of trouble briefing them on what they needed to know to head of problems and possible catasphophes.

Cheers.

How much did Garrett pay to acquire White's?

yeah! the strategy is they reviewed whites patents, and engineering data, and found
"nothing" current enough to take a chance on reinstating
, apparently not even the Multi-freq
$1,200.00 flag ship.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

You don't know what you don't know. Perhaps Garrett only had to pay a modest price to own all of White's IP and confirm if there was anything else there of value.

Mergers happen. But this happens before one of the companies goes completely Tango Uniform.

You know the old adage. If you can’t beat em join em.

"nothing" current enough to take a chance on reinstating, apparently not even the Multi-freq
$1,200.00 flag ship.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

It would be an extremely "safe bet" that Garrett reviewed all that prior to purchasing Whites. For whatever purpose(s) Garrett saw value.

Not being privileged to the fine details of the deal, we may never know if the planned return pans out.

It would be an extremely "safe bet" that Garrett reviewed all that prior to purchasing Whites. For whatever purpose(s) Garrett saw value.

Not being privileged to the fine details of the deal, we may never know if the planned return pans out.

Goodpoint

What ever the reason behind the purchase, Garrett's actions following this event has been successful in eliminating me and many other users from keeping them on any kind of shopping list.

Hope not.

Cheers.

I wasn't surprised to see that Apex sit unsold - even at a bargain price - for so long.

I would've jumped on it were it not for two things;

1. I already own an Apex and don't need a second.

2. Lingering doubts about that specific machine being defective - based entirely upon my (very positive) personal experiences with the Apex I do own, and the less than flattering statements (about that Apex) from the seller.

It wasn't that I didn't trust the seller (I do trust him) - but I wasn't convinced that his machine wasn't somehow defective.

I would guess that potential buyers might have been negatively influenced by some of the so-called "reviews" on the Apex. Unfortunately it isn't uncommon to read comments - from people who have never actually hunted with an Apex - reflecting a negative view of the machine; based on so-called "reviews" from people who all-too-often had some axe to grind and weren't remotely interested in learning how to use the Apex properly, or giving the Apex a fair shake.

As for any potential mistake(s) made in purchasing Whites..

I can't make that call since I wasn't involved with the decision to make the purchase and don't know the reasons behind the decision.

Personally, I hope it works out well for Garrett and ends up benefitting consumers. I'd be absolutely thrilled if Garrett released a new, light weight, improved version of the V3i, but I suspect Garrett is channeling their energy into a higher-end Apex (which suits me just fine).

I felt that Whites was on the soon-to-be gone list when their lead engineer went to First Texas. I still own 3 Whites machines and 2 pinpointers. Garrett surely stole them at the price they got Whites for, whatever that was. Dog eat dog. Jmho

I was a Whites fan for many years. When they came out with the Eagle Spectrum they had a great thing going. One of the top market detectors in the early 90's. Since then they seemed to have fallen behind in technology, and marketing.

Garrett needs a home run on a new multi-frequency detector or they may end up in the same position.

I wasn't surprised to see that Apex sit unsold - even at a bargain price - for so long.

I would've jumped on it were it not for two things;

1. I already own an Apex and don't need a second.

2. Lingering doubts about that specific machine being defective - based entirely upon my (very positive) personal experiences with the Apex I do own, and the less than flattering statements (about that Apex) from the seller.

It wasn't that I didn't trust the seller (I do trust him) - but I wasn't convinced that his machine wasn't somehow defective.

I would guess that potential buyers might have been negatively influenced by some of the so-called "reviews" on the Apex. Unfortunately it isn't uncommon to read comments - from people who have never actually hunted with an Apex - reflecting a negative view of the machine; based on so-called "reviews" from people who all-too-often had some axe to grind and weren't remotely interested in learning how to use the Apex properly, or giving the Apex a fair shake.

As for any potential mistake(s) made in purchasing Whites..

I can't make that call since I wasn't involved with the decision to make the purchase and don't know the reasons behind the decision.

Personally, I hope it works out well for Garrett and ends up benefitting consumers. I'd be absolutely thrilled if Garrett released a new, light weight, improved version of the V3i, but I suspect Garrett is channeling their energy into a higher-end Apex (which suits me just fine).

Assuming this is true, Garrett can't complain. Much of their recent success has relied on marketing efforts as opposed to genuine innovation. Live by the sword, die by the sword...

Not a person who post in this forum has a clue what Garrett is going to do with the Whites acquisition. Just because they won't rebox a V3I, people are questioning the acquisition. If they did rebox the V3I people would be bitching about, all they did was rebox the V3I.

People complaining about Garrett not reproducing the TRX, seriously humor me. If those people cared about Whites and the TRX maybe they should have supported Whites in a bigger way. Damn sure isn't Garrett's fault Whites folded.

If a poster here owns a company as successful as Garrett, please speak up. I would like to pick your brain.

Back
Top Bottom