Simplex owners - especially beginner detectorist, good Video here

Very interesting.

Thanks sharpshooter.

You are welcome.

Btw, folks may be able to do similar with some of the other model detectors out there.

Naturally this process talked about in video can have its flaws. How? If you detect something in close proximity to some thing else you could be fooled.
So just beware.
Process will save some from digging junk though. At times anyways.

Cheers
And Happy Trails

Not a bad video except it is actually describing two different functions everyone should learn in order to get a better understanding of detector performance and Target Behavior. It is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with algorithms. I learned the difference in performance and effect on the electromagnetic field back in the '70s and have been using the technique to help classify ferrous-based targets since about 1972. As we progressed with detector design to get into TR discrimination and VLF / TR-Disc. in the mid and late '70s, and then motion-based VLF-Disc. in '78, we faced more issues with some problem ferrous junk, such as bottle caps, tin and some iron nails. A lot of it due to circuitry design that caused some problems ferrous trash to create a good–sounding audio response with a direct coil sweep across the center axis. In many cases, but not all cases, using search coil sweep techniques allowed me to easily classify most ferrous trash.

I coined the term 'EPR' for Edge-Pass Rejection for that technique back in the late '70s and have taught it in my metal detecting seminars since 1981, as well as in group presentations and other instruction when I was a dealer. I also demonstrated it two metal detecting clubs when I worked for Compass Electronics in the latter 1980s.

In my demonstrations and explanations of the 'EPR' technique, I remind folks that nothing is perfect. A mix of targets, ferrous or non-ferrous, that are in too close of a proximity, can cause good–target masking.

Also, this search technique is very useful for classifying a lot of common iron debris that is at or near the surface or reasonably shallow such as to about 3 inches or so. When problem trash, such as a bottle cap, gets a little too deep then it does not have sufficient effect on the electromagnetic field to help classify it as problem iron debris. But for a lot of everyday detecting Coin Hunters do around picnicking and other common sites with discarded bottle caps, it is a very useful technique to use to eliminate a lot of trash-target recovery.

As for the video example using the Threshold-based All Metal Pinpoint mode, that is simply a demonstration anyone can learn, with virtually any metal detector, because it is simply showing the different effect on an electromagnetic field caused by a ferrous target and a non-ferrous target. The ferrous object will enhance the electromagnetic field which is different from the non-ferrous target, if you use targets of similar size and shape, because the non-ferrous Target actually absorbs more of the field that conducts an EMF on the surface of the non-ferrous metal.

That was another effect of the different types of metal we encountered back in those early days of detecting of the late '60s and into the 70s. That was an era when most people getting into the hobby listened to an audio threshold in any search mode and an avid detectorist would learn more than most hobbyists do today. Most of the detectors today are motion-based discriminators and the majority tend to be silent search types. I think this has led to a lot of people just putting a lot of faith in a detector working and not understanding how or why. If we learn the hows and whys, we can better understand what's really happening to the electromagnetic field and perhaps better understand how the circuitry is performing to let us hear the Lost targets that are out there. There is a lot to learn about detector performance that is both hearable as well as not hearable that is going on.

So it was an interesting video, and might help a few people learn something to help them in the future, but it's nothing new and it's simply a technique that I have been using for about 50 years now. Knowing some of the hows and whys adds to the fun at the hobby.

Monte

Monte,
You talk above about magnetic field as far as relation of ferrous and nonferrous.
You fail to talk about magnetic field as it relates to target shape.
Example shape of say (nonferrous) aluminum screw cap versus (nonferrous) coin. Naturally orientation in the ground can affect overall results.
The video above clearly showed different pinpoint behavior even comparing the aluminum twist cap to nonferrous coin.

By pinpoint being named what is is, this imo can through off a new detectorist. Thinking this function just tells user where target is. More to it than this. Hence why I posted the video.

Cheers.

This is an interesting video thanks for posting!
I know pinpoint on the Simplex is like non motion all metal mode.
Will this technique work in the all metal mode setting?

Back
Top Bottom