Review of the new 9.5 HF Deus coil

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Since it looks like the Equinox is going to be awhile I bought a new Deus with the 9.5 High Frequency (HF) coil to use till then. The Deus has proven itself to me as the closest thing to the one detector to do it all. Plus who can fault the ergonomics of a Deus? What a dream to swing. Anyway, on the the coil.

I have tried the coil several time in my local tot lots and it did exceptional. No gold yet, but many small pieces of non-ferrous targets missed by the rest. In other words, a lot of could have beens. The new 9.5 HF I'm running at 80 kHz with Deus Fast loaded. Testing it hits my 14k foxtail necklace that many just sputter on like a tank. I'm quite sure if there is gold there this coil will find it easily. Plus the elliptical coil makes getting right in close to playground toy a breeze. Several coins found within 2" of a pipe.

As far a relic hunting I can't wait to get this thing to a few old spots. I took it to a site yesterday of an old fort we have pounded to death for 30 years. One area where the majority of personal items such as buttons and coins has hit extremely hard. Of course that was where I went. A relatively small area and being only 34º I figure I could do a quick hunt. I was impressed that right away I was getting hard hits in all that iron. Each hit turned out to be a keeper. Most impressive was this very small shot.

I'm going to try and get back there today and get some video. So far I am finding the 9.5 HF coil a winner and will no doubt become my standard coil.

All these pieces of lead were found at this area where you get nothing. Each rang out loud and clear and read high VDI. The little shot at the end of my finger rang out loud and clear in a bed of iron.

IMG_3551.jpg

I like mine.
The round HF coil too.

My elliptical has found what I call my best prize finds to date.
Actually 2, in already hard hunted sites.

Don't overlook the use of the mid band freq wise.
This is where the real action is I think unless after very tiny gold.

So I'd do better to move down one on the frequency for relic hunting?

All I can say Detector, uaing 28.8khz will find nonferous.
And it is not tied always to ferrous masking, where other detectors even Deus using LF coils can alert on.

Watch the tone provided on things.
Tone can fool a person.
It will be nonferrous but yield an almost iron tone,,hard to discern.
Might run running disc level 3-3.5 and study all hits provided(full tones)

It works.

See this thread.
A hunt yesterday.
Granted this was using round HF coil.
But this info is helpful for elliptical coil users.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2871811#post2871811

Btw, I have posted here on this forum in this subsection on use/finds with both round and elliptical HF coils.

They are for real. No doubt.

Thanks sharshooter.

I can say I was totally surprised at the tone given off by those little pieces of lead in the iron. Normally you'd get a lower tone or maybe a mid-tone. I got clean high tones on every piece of leaded even when the VDI numbers were not that high. Surprising, even that little ball gave a VDI in the 80's.

Thanks sharshooter.

I can say I was totally surprised at the tone given off by those little pieces of lead in the iron. Normally you'd get a lower tone or maybe a mid-tone. I got clean high tones on every piece of leaded even when the VDI numbers were not that high. Surprising, even that little ball gave a VDI in the 80's.

You are welcome.

Deus disc setting, can make a person study/think. Deus audio ranks supreme but seems it cannot keep up all the time. But entire platform gives code for nonferrous,,other detector models lack or lacks more of.

Could be a good idea here.
To have adjacent program to use (mirror settings) but one with 0 disc and one with approx level 3 disc.
To cross check.
My experiences so far,,,,could a tad of lost 3 d unmasking happen with disc turned up to level 3?? Yes, but tone will likely be a tad short per cs disc setting of 0.
But all the gobblygook is removed sometimes with disc level 3 setting.
Tiny prices of nails/iron.
Makes Deus more of an Alerter detector.
Instead of a user picking and choosing.
Detector tells the user.
Instead of the other way around user picking out signals.

I don't think the disc system on Deus gets the FULL respect it deserves.

I have both HF coils and love them at the beach using wet and dry beach settings with no changes to the standard settings.
I haven’t even used my LF coils yet but I’m sure I will.
Happy New Year everyone!

I went into a spot we pounded 30 x 30 ft with the lf in 7kh and the hf 9 in 14kh. I ran the hf round in 28 kh and dug around 20 non ferrous targets we missed in the lower freqs. It unmasked very well in that freq.. 3 of those targets were buttons one being a war of 1812 script A

A tip here for folks.

Full tones 0 disc
Take a 10dd nail.
Go to 28.8khz Reactivty 3.
Sweep nail longways.
Note what you hear.

Then take a horseshoe and sweep.

While running HF coil in a site disc level 3 silencer -1.
If you hear anything that doesn't sound like either of the above,,,and signal will repeat with careful coil position and speed= target deserves your attention.

Now this goes for folks obviously going for the gusto digging all nonferrous.

This HF coils do an outstanding jog with disc at 3 for IDing iron if a user hears, or knocks it out tonally.

Round HF coil does better on average though for IDing iron better tonally, or knocking it out tonally with 3 disc setting.

Took the Deus and the 9.5 Elliptical HF coil to a hard hit site at a school construction site. We have hit it hard with our E-Tracs and the AT Pro and Deus with LF coil. Lots of targets that I didn't dig I'll probably go back to but short time and a bit cold I went for the easy cherry picking. Pretty impressed with the results. My first silver for the year, a 1943 War Nickel, and my first wheat and the oldest coin so far for the year in a 1910 wheat.

Lov'in the HF so far.

Attachments

• Weekend.jpg
    Weekend.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 819
Took the Deus and the 9.5 Elliptical HF coil to a hard hit site at a school construction site. We have hit it hard with our E-Tracs and the AT Pro and Deus with LF coil. Lots of targets that I didn't dig I'll probably go back to but short time and a bit cold I went for the easy cherry picking. Pretty impressed with the results. My first silver for the year, a 1943 War Nickel, and my first wheat and the oldest coin so far for the year in a 1910 wheat.

Lov'in the HF so far.

Nice Detector.

Little coil will raise eyebrows.

Lov'in the HF so far.

I would say those are pretty good results! Nice job

Lov'in the HF so far.

Great post here! Our customers love the XP Deus 9.5 Elliptical HF coil! I am not sure if it is the coil or the new 4.1 software that is making them so good. The standard coils seem to have improved a bit with the 4.1 software as well.

Why is there a cable on the 9.5 Elliptical? XP Deus is wireless no?

John,
The battery for both Deus HF coils was moved from the coil itself. and placed in top of the lower stem of rod. So a wire does run from the battery down to the coil.

As far as data transfer Deus is still considered wireless.
Btw, moving the battery did help with balance of detector.

For example using the 9" HF coil feels better than using Deus and 9" LF coil.

I think the battery is shown in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J6mPotkwp6c

Thanks Sharpshooter. Any chance you can point me to a good review of the HF round vs elliptical for coin hunting in trashy sites?

Thanks Sharpshooter. Any chance you can point me to a good review of the HF round vs elliptical for coin hunting in trashy sites?

I haven't seen a vid like you are asking for I don't think.

I have both HF coils, and can share my experiences/thoughts.

Both coils can do.
One problem though, VDI normalization is not included as feature set.
And to add to this, to get either coil to perform grand in the separation/unmasking departments, one must increase freq.
And when you increase freq a lot of nonferrous get compressed into higher range.

For example, Indian head penny's. Zinc pennys, copper pennys, pull rings with tabs wrapped, and other things get compressed in the ID range of 87-98.
Plus remember Deus Id here can be compromised by ferrous, ground minerals and depth of targets. Settings too can make ID be incorrect of nonferrous object.

Depth advantage can be had using round HF coil.
But in higher mineral I have actually see depth advantage using elliptical a HF coil over round HF coil.

For modern trashy sites, using either HF coil can be tough.
Now, running 14.4khz band does help with decompression of nonferrous range of mid to higher conductive targets detected.

If a persons doesn't have round LF 9" coil, I would recommend the round HF coil.
If a person already has 9" LF coil, Imwould recommend the elliptical a HF coil.
Doing the above IMO widens one latitude for detecting in general.
The HF elliptical runs pretty much dead quiet, round HF coil chirps some.

Maybe some other here will chime in.

As far as the worst sites for iron, my 2 best finds ever IMO were had using elliptical HF coil. A site I had pounded with many detectors and coil setups. Including Deus LF coils and yes even the round HF coil.

You won't know what you are diggin many times using either HF coil. Just that target is nonferrous.

Cheers.

Sharpshooter.

Any recommendations on programs/settings to jump start me with the elliptical? I saw one recommendation to just run Deus Fast with 28 or 56KHZ for normal hunting. I also saw Calabash's video about using pitch with the same frequencies in iron infested sites.

Sharpshooter.

Any recommendations on programs/settings to jump start me with the elliptical? I saw one recommendation to just run Deus Fast with 28 or 56KHZ for normal hunting. I also saw Calabash's video about using pitch with the same frequencies in iron infested sites.

I would start out using 28.8 kHz first.
Disc 7.1, pitch tones.
Reactivity 2.5
Silencer 0
Sens 90-93

Back
Top Bottom