What should we buy?

FekBunch

Hi all, my almost 12 year old son has a cheap metal detector that we bought off of Amazon 2 years ago. He has been asking for a better one so we have been researching together which in turn has me more interested in starting up the hobby as well! We are in search of a new detector and our budget is $300. We have been looking at the Simplex and the Vanquish 440. W would mainly be using it in fields and parks, very occasionally at the beach and along river banks. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Both are good choices. I don't have any experience with the Simplex but many peeps around here really like them. The Vanquish is also a great choice too. Based on what I know:

You'll get more accessories with the Simplex (it's quite the bargain) and not so much with the Vanquish. The simplex is also waterproof and has a built in flash light.

The Vanquish is not waterproof but it's main advantage (which is a big one) is it operates on multiple frequencies and gets its pedigree from the higher end and extremely popular Equinox where the Simplex uses only a single frequency. I've also heard from Simplex users that on deeper targets you'll get a tone but no target ID which to me is a deal breaker IMHO.

You'll also want to get a decent pinpointer so the Simplex might make more sense given your budget.

Do your research and check out Youtube for comparison videos and make your decision on what's more important to you. Either one would be a great choice though you can't really go wrong. If you can't buy local check out some of the forum sponsors here for some good prices and package deals.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

Welcome to the forums and cheers from NW Ohio!

Simplex or Vanquish. I actually have the vanquish, and as long as you aren't going into the water, Vanquish will snipe out those coins. Tell him that I'm also 12, and I can swing it for hours, he shouldn't have much problem too. :D

Josh

I own a Simplex and KILL it at parks. Haven't really used it at the beach, but they say it's waterproof. I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. Whatever you decide, happy hunting and good luck!

The Vanquish and Simplex are outstanding detectors.

The current Simplex bundle deal with the free 10X5" elliptical coil is a really good value. The only reservations I would have with the Simplex for a normal 12 year old are the weight (very sturdy detector that feels like it) and the somewhat blended audio in the 2 and 3 tone modes which can create a bit of confusion in the do I dig or not choice. Otherwise, if your child can handle the weight, the Simplex is an amazing, feature rich, keep one occupied for a long time detector.

For the Vanquish models, I would go with the Vanquish 440. It has everything you need in an easy to operate detector that has excellent balance with the 10X6" coil, is very adjustable, and most importantly has Minelab's outstanding Multi IQ simultaneous multi frequency technology which has very accurate target IDs (once you get to know them for your targets) all the way down to the edge of its detecting ability which depending on soil mineralization is easily 10 to 12" That ability in an entry level detector is unheard of and makes all of the Vanquish detectors, especially the 440, way more than entry level.

Get a quality handheld pinpointer by Garrett, First Texas (Fisher/Teknetics), Nokta Makro or XP. It will cost you $100 but it will also save you a lot of frustration recovering targets.

Hi all, my almost 12 year old son has a cheap metal detector that we bought off of Amazon 2 years ago. He has been asking for a better one so we have been researching together which in turn has me more interested in starting up the hobby as well! We are in search of a new detector and our budget is $300. We have been looking at the Simplex and the Vanquish 440. W would mainly be using it in fields and parks, very occasionally at the beach and along river banks. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

There is a used Vanquish 540 on ebay right now with a bunch of accessories for $279. Not sure I'm allowed to say that or link to it. But it might be worth checking out that's a heck of a bargain. I am not the seller nor do I have any affiliation with them.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Unfortunately we missed the ebay deal but I will keep my eye out since I plan to purchase next month. I watched some YouTube comparisons with my son and we both decided we will get the Vanquish!

Thank you all for your suggestions! Unfortunately we missed the ebay deal but I will keep my eye out since I plan to purchase next month. I watched some YouTube comparisons with my son and we both decided we will get the Vanquish!

Great decision! Also the reason I kept my vanquish and traded the simplex... :lol:

Call a sponsor here for the best deal.

Josh

I just traded my Vanquish and kept my Simplex+. Both great values but i just like the beach and water too much so the ability of the Simplex to get wet tipped the scales.

Traded it to a nice lady whose property used to be a stop on a stage coach run between Chicago and Detroit.

With the detector and some cash i ended up with a small aluminum trailer to transport my kayak.

Hope to paddle to some watery spots to detect.

Attachments

• email.red.hurricane.jpg
    email.red.hurricane.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 437
Cannot go wrong with MineLab product. There are a number of "comparison" videos out there to help with your decision. Vanquish is "simple and smart".

ETA - If you're a veteran, ML gives a 15% discount. Makes the 400 and even GREATER bargain.

Back
Top Bottom