going from the E-trac to the Nox 800...

Max houser

apples and oranges.

I got my Equinox 2 days ago, putting it together was "china" simple... the shafts are cheap plastic, the whole detector feels cheap.... I guess we are paying for the technology not the fabrication.
the charging cable for the NOX is also scetchy at best... it attaches magnetically , and it is hard to tell if it is actually charging. don't even get me started on the blue tooth headphones... I can never tell when pressing the button if they turn on, and when i press to turn off it's even harder. try and "pair" the headphones to the NOX 800 and you will be standing there for a few minutes while others are already detecting... I'm NOT impressed so far... I'm gonna stick it out and learn this machine as I did the E-trac... but so far.. it's not even close... just lighter.

Give it a try, you might like it. But im with you on the build quality, definitely cheap. Headphones have a lag in pairing up to the machine at startup,, starting each hunt waiting for them to sync def annoys me. It's different than your etrac,that's for sure. Let us know your thoughts after a few hunts

Tell me about it. I've already ordered carbon fiber shafts from Steve's Detector Rods, and I've only had my Nox for 2 months. I'm looking to replace the headphones too. Not only do I not like the sound quality, they're too small for my head (I bought the wireless headphones because I'm not a fan of wired headphones)! Outside of that, the machine is fine so far. Learning all the ins and outs with each passing week...

You are right for sure apples to oranges. Etrac is an antique and not even on the same level with the Equinox. I made the same transition and never looked back or regretted it for a moment. There is a reason the Etrac has been discontinued. I hope you truly are patient and learn the equinox because you will not be disappointed. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Equinox / Etrac/ CTX3030

I went from two Etrac's , a nice silver killer , but slower machine than the CTX3030 . Coin shooting I havn't hunted much with it , but pulled more gunk with the Equinox , over the Etrac, At the beach I like the Equinox & 15 coil not in the water for lightness & gold chain finds ,problems your having relax , the magnet charging prongs must be snug flashing green charging light on detector screen charging , solid green charged , if you use the machine around salt water from time to time you will have to lightly scrape charging prong terminals on the machine from corrosion , phones easy put them on your head, turn them on & you will connect every time , after paring it 1 time . Once you learn the settings , including sensitivity for your area of hunting , you will learn to like the Equinox as far as cheap parts , i agree , some changes i have made , carbon fiber strait shaft with head adjustment holes , face savor with cover , just purchased an R&B extra attachable battery pack ,even though an 8 hour hunt , plenty battery left , cuff cover ML , the handle 4 bolts you will over time have to tighten a tad , over time they loosen up , over all , i am happy with the Equinox with mods , good luck with your machine , Earl:thumbsup: PS Even I had complaint's when I 1st. bought the machine , with mod's , it is good , hang in there !

Equinox is faster and I will say it will unmask some coins the etrac won't. Downside is you'll dig alot of junk the equinox calls coins,bits of wire,etc it will high tone on..So,yea you will unmask coins at the price of digging alot of junk too.
Etrac,if your usto the best ID at depth and the deeper machine out of the two,,that would be the etrac.. No comparison on leaving junk behind or calling those deep old coins actual coins,and not digging some type of trash..
It really comes down to the individual.Are you willing to fill your pouch with junk and a few keepers vs basically no junk and all keepers at the expense that the etrac might not unmask a coin the equinox would? That's the million dollar question..But watch the videos,, they don't lie as to what these guys are digging with the equinox,good vs bad ratio

apples and oranges.

I got my Equinox 2 days ago, putting it together was "china" simple... the shafts are cheap plastic, the whole detector feels cheap.... I guess we are paying for the technology not the fabrication.
the charging cable for the NOX is also scetchy at best... it attaches magnetically , and it is hard to tell if it is actually charging. don't even get me started on the blue tooth headphones... I can never tell when pressing the button if they turn on, and when i press to turn off it's even harder. try and "pair" the headphones to the NOX 800 and you will be standing there for a few minutes while others are already detecting... I'm NOT impressed so far... I'm gonna stick it out and learn this machine as I did the E-trac... but so far.. it's not even close... just lighter.

Sounds like you have had a rough start with the Equinox. That’s too bad. It is definitely not an E-Trac or a CTX 3030. It weighs almost half as much too, is a lot faster, with the same sized coils it is almost as deep on high conductors, deeper on mid and low conductors and a lot more sensitive in general especially on smaller targets. Several people on this forum complain about the Equinox and iron discrimination and falsing. I wrote way too much about that subject in several recent threads. The Equinox Multi IQ technology will false on iron. That’s why it has multiple features to help deal with iron targets. That is also why it handles natural iron moderate to high mineralization and man-made iron bed of nails scenarios far better than the E-Trac and CTX 3030. In high iron mineralization, if an Equinox can’t handle it there is nothing else to do but grab a PI. In a bed of nails, if the Equinox can’t handle it, its time for a Deus.

I can’t give you any advice other than to echo what others have tried to say. Stop comparing your E-Trac and Equinox. They are totally different detectors. One is the pinnacle of Minelab’s outstanding simultaneous multi frequency past and one is becoming the pinnacle of its outstanding future.

Yes there is a reason Minelab is discontinuing the Etrac, and it's probably because they are trying to put the soul of the Etrac into a lighter, waterproof machine with a faster processor.

FBS, FBS2 is superior to Mult-IQ and the build quality is better. That's why it costs nearly twice as much or more depending on what machine you buy. Minelab isn't going to sell their Cadilac's for a Malibu price.

As I've posted before, I hunt with 2 guys that use 800's. We compare MANY targets before digging. My Etrac often see's good targets their 800's will barely see, or won't see at all.

Again, Minelab states that FBS is better than Multi-IQ on high conductors such as silver in ALL CONDITIONS. And Multi-IQ "almost" as good as FBS in conditions such as salt water etc.

Yes there is a reason Minelab is discontinuing the Etrac, and it's probably because they are trying to put the soul of the Etrac into a lighter, waterproof machine with a faster processor.

FBS, FBS2 is superior to Mult-IQ and the build quality is better. That's why it costs nearly twice as much or more depending on what machine you buy. Minelab isn't going to sell their Cadilac's for a Malibu price.

As I've posted before, I hunt with 2 guys that use 800's. We compare MANY targets before digging. My Etrac often see's good targets their 800's will barely see, or won't see at all.

Again, Minelab states that FBS is better than Multi-IQ on high conductors such as silver in ALL CONDITIONS. And Multi-IQ "almost" as good as FBS in conditions such as salt water etc.

Whether Minelab manages to put FBS 2 in a lighter and fully waterproof detector (My CTX leaked which is one reason I sold it)......my bet is it will be an improved CTX 3030 housing or something similar. Minelab is soon to release its new pulse induction detector called the GPX 6000. It is basically in a modified CTX housing. I doubt the E-Trac form factor housing will be back. Whether FBS is better on deep silver than Multi IQ........absolutely especially if the Equinox has not been setup for high conductors. Whether FBS is better on mid and low conductors, in thick iron trash, in thick aluminum trash, on extremely small targets, at unmasking, in high iron mineralization, general ergonomics....Nope.

Minelab marketing are pretty smart. Their design team, physicists and software engineers appear to be smarter however. They released a detector that has caused the demise of several favorites. Multi IQ, no matter what opinion you have of it has put an unintended dent in the sale of Eureka Golds (bye bye), X-Terras (bye bye), Safaris (bye bye) E-Tracs (bye bye) Gold Monster 1000s (still around but stated by Minelab to be their last single frequency VLF which the Equinox already outperforms on the same targets) and the CTX 3030s which seriously need a makeover. The Equinox was supposed to be good, but it was not supposed to completely disrupt Minelab's product line. In fact, Minelab still don't know where to classify the Equinox. They just call it a treasure detector.........even though it is an outstanding gold prospecting detector, relic detector and works very well as a gentle water detector.

Last edited:

The only place an Etrac reigns supreme is clean trash free yards. It will cherry pick better than an Equinox. That's it. The Equinox is a better unmasker in every other situation. You can get the easy stuff with an Etrac, but you need a Equinox for the hard stuff.

I'm afraid your buddies must not have their Equinox's set up correctly or something. I have found it to be completely the opposite when it comes to which detector can and can't see targets.

The way I understand it based on what I have read on a couple of websites that tend to be more technical than this one, and seem to have better access to what's going on at Minelab the next flagship detector will be based on Multi-IQ not FBS.

The only place an Etrac reigns supreme is clean trash free yards. It will cherry pick better than an Equinox. That's it. The Equinox is a better unmasker in every other situation. You can get the easy stuff with an Etrac, but you need a Equinox for the hard stuff.

I'm afraid your buddies must not have their Equinox's set up correctly or something. I have found it to be completely the opposite when it comes to which detector can and can't see targets.

The way I understand it based on what I have read on a couple of websites that tend to be more technical than this one, and seem to have better access to what's going on at Minelab the next flagship detector will be based on Multi-IQ not FBS.

Well, my Etrac has found plenty of coins in iron and trash. It may not be as fast as an 800 but if I slow down it works decent. But I will give very heavy iron and trash situations to the Nox.

Disregarding people's opinions, and reading Minelab's own statement AND after ACTUALLLY comparing many, many targets, side by side before digging, my eyes don't agree that "clean trash free yards" is the only place Etrac is supreme. Maybe soil conditions are harder in my area. FBS shoots 28 frequency's at the same time and the Nox doesn't. That may cut through difficult soil better.

Also, my Etrac consistently goes deeper than the Nox on high conductors.

I have a feeling the next flagship detector will have both FBS and Multi IQ modes on it. This would be a true upgrade and all in one machine for the masses.

I only hope they can nix the extras like gps and try to keep the cost to around 1500$

Minelab's own marketing statements are based on how they can keep from competing with their own detector sales and from trying to keep their older technology viable.

Minelab recently released their consumer division metal detector sales results for the last 6 months (July 1, 2020 to February 1, 2021) which continues a trend from the year before. These sales results do not include specific gold prospecting detector sales for consumer and commercial use. They reported record sales and sold between 8 and 12 million US dollars worth of consumer detectors per month which is up from 2 to 3 million US dollars per month in previous years 2017 to July, 2019. That record increase is coming from the sale of Equinox and Vanquish detectors according to Minelab.

I regularly use a FBS detector (CTX) and a Nox 800. IMHO they both have their strong points and weak points. The Nox is indeed much faster and lighter than the Etrac/CTX/Explorer. It will definitely unmask some targets that you won't hear on the FBS machines. It will also hit small low conductors better. However, I think a lot of Nox owners are waaay too quick to write off detectors like the Etrac & 3030 as being inferior and outdated. FBS machines offer a few things not found on the Nox, or any other detector for that matter. 1) Unique 2D pattern discrimination which allows users to bypass many junk targets that would be troublesome for the Nox and most other detectors. 2) Superior Target ID and Depth Meter. Easily the best of any machine I've ever used. 3) Unmistakable tones on deep coins/silver. The CTX even has something called Target Trace which can actually show the user when multiple targets are beneath the coil. All of these things combined offer the end user a unique detecting experience which is definitely something special. An experienced FBS user can walk in the middle of a trash pile and cherry pick good targets like nobody's business. This is where FBS machines really shine. IMHO, neither Minelab or any other manufacturer has produced anything that can match them yet for selective digging.

Having said all that, the Equinox is also pretty dang special. It definitely has a lot going for it and is one outstanding unmasker. I can definitely take my Nox behind my CTX and usually find a few tough targets or coins on edge that were missed before. This is where the Nox shines. I wouldn't want to be without either one of them.

Last edited:
Just one more: said:
---- FBS shoots 28 frequency's at the same time and the Nox doesn't.
Incorrect on understanding the Minelab FBS marketing hype. No, it doesn't.

I am not a Minelab loyalist, nor overly dedicated to any particular brand. I do favor certain models, if a manufacturer provides something that works for me. I enjoyed my favorite Sovereigns for certain applications, and went through over half-a-dozen FBS models. I just didn't enjoy the terrible weight & lack-of-balance for me and my achy body.

I've had an Equinox 800 and enjoyed using the 6" DD coil in many of the littered sites I hunted, but while I liked the physical package better than those earlier Minelab products, I favored the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack I bought as the 5X8 DD makes a terrific general-purpose search coil, and the 9X12 DD is fine for hunting the wide-open plowed fields or other similar sites. And for what it is, the Multi-IQ platform works quite well.

The Equinox and Vanquish models use their own version of the Multi-IQ SMF design, and thank goodness they didn't dumb things up with the multiple arrows below the BBS and FBS model search coils with their 17 Frequency claim for the Sovereigns and 28 Frequency jive for the Explorer series, trying to dupe people into thinking all those frequencies were being transmitted simultaneously (aka: at the same time).

Monte

Incorrect on understanding the Minelab FBS marketing hype. No, it doesn't.

I am not a Minelab loyalist, nor overly dedicated to any particular brand. I do favor certain models, if a manufacturer provides something that works for me. I enjoyed my favorite Sovereigns for certain applications, and went through over half-a-dozen FBS models. I just didn't enjoy the terrible weight & lack-of-balance for me and my achy body.

I've had an Equinox 800 and enjoyed using the 6" DD coil in many of the littered sites I hunted, but while I liked the physical package better than those earlier Minelab products, I favored the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack I bought as the 5X8 DD makes a terrific general-purpose search coil, and the 9X12 DD is fine for hunting the wide-open plowed fields or other similar sites. And for what it is, the Multi-IQ platform works quite well.

The Equinox and Vanquish models use their own version of the Multi-IQ SMF design, and thank goodness they didn't dumb things up with the multiple arrows below the BBS and FBS model search coils with their 17 Frequency claim for the Sovereigns and 28 Frequency jive for the Explorer series, trying to dupe people into thinking all those frequencies were being transmitted simultaneously (aka: at the same time).

Monte

You better call Minelab and tell them they are wrong, even though they invented the technology.

From Minelabs website, https://www.minelab.com/usa/support/knowledge-base/discontinued-products?product=759

"Minelab’s FBS technology simultaneously transmits 28 multiple frequencies from 1.5kHz to 100kHz. "

jmaclen writes,

"Minelab's own marketing statements are based on how they can keep from competing with their own detector sales and from trying to keep their older technology viable."

Please give a link to verify that statement, or if that's just your opinion, then say so.

Last edited:
jmaclen writes,

"Minelab's own marketing statements are based on how they can keep from competing with their own detector sales and from trying to keep their older technology viable."

Please give a link to verify that statement, or if that's just your opinion, then say so.

The Equinox was intended to directly compete with the Garrett AT Series and the XP Deus. That was Minelab's intention. Their R&D department came up with a brand new technology from scratch. It was so good that it had unintended consequences especially when Minelab marketing flatly stated "Equinox obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors" That statement included several of Minelab's own currently produced single frequency detectors in 2018, which they were still marketing as viable detectors and which cost around the same price as the Equinox.

Minelab marketing also went to some lengths to explain to its current BBS and FBS customers what they were doing by releasing the Equinox. Here is one lengthy marketing blurb:

"When Minelab started developing our EQUINOX detector, we looked very closely at all of the current market offerings (including our own) to reassess what detectorists were really after in a new coin & treasure detector. A clear short list of desirable features quickly emerged – and no real surprises here – waterproof, lightweight, low-cost, wireless audio, and of course, improved performance from new technology. This came from not only our own observations, but also customers, field testers, dealers and the metal detecting forums that many detectorists contribute to.

While we could have taken the approach of putting the X-TERRA (VFLEX technology) in a waterproof housing and adding a selectable frequency range, this would have been following the path of many of our competitors in just rehashing an older single frequency technology that had already reached its performance limits. Another option would have been to create a lower cost waterproof FBS detector, but that also had its challenges with FBS being ‘power hungry’, needing heavier batteries, heavier coils, etc., and relatively high cost compared to the more recent advances that our R&D team have been making with the latest electronics hardware and signal processing techniques.

When Minelab develop a new detecting technology we aim to create a paradigm shift from existing products and provide a clear performance advantage for our customers."

Didn't that paradigm shift and clear performance advantage over existing products also refer to ALL of their own previous technology? Yes it did. They did throw a bone to BBS/FBS users in another paragraph from the same Multi IQ marketing pitch.

"How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?"

"Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."

So, even though Minelab was after much of the XP and Garrett market (which they succeeded in capturing) they also had to step on their own toes and those of their customers when the ramifications of the Equinox became fully realized. Although Minelab might feel bad about ruffling some feathers by unintentionally creating more forum arguments (like this one) about which Minelab detector is better than which Minelab detector, they have tripled their sales per month of consumer level "treasure" detectors since the summer of 2019 which is mainly due to the Equinox and Vanquish.

I personally have spoken with three dealers (two in person) about how they have to market the Minelab detectors they sell. Minelab does not want them to list the Equinox as a professional level detector or a gold prospecting detector in their dealership adds. All three of them have adhered to that policy for the sake of not blatantly hurting Minelab's or their own businesses by cutting into CTX 3030 and Goldmonster 1000 sales. At least one of those dealers is very active on a different forum and he has flatly stated that he no longer uses his E-trac, CTX or Goldmonster 1000. At least in his soil conditions which are moderate to highly iron mineralized, the Equinox out performs them on ALL targets including silver due to the Equinox being able to handle high iron mineralized ground with minimal depth loss while the E-trac and CTX suffer from 1/3 to 1/2 loss of normal depth to coil size. That has been my experience too. The Equinox is more sensitive to small gold than the Goldmonster 1000 also according to this dealer and the entire team of experienced gold prospectors/trainers that he employs to train his customers. That has also been my experience.

I am no fanboy and I am not trying to hurt anybodies feelings here. The original posters topic "going from the E-trac to the Nox 800" definitely seems to be a sensitive subject for sure.

Rattlehead's post above said it well:

"the Equinox is also pretty dang special. It definitely has a lot going for it and is one outstanding unmasker. I can definitely take my Nox behind my CTX and usually find a few tough targets or coins on edge that were missed before. This is where the Nox shines. I wouldn't want to be without either one of them."

I feel the same way about my XP Deus/Equinox and Pulse Induction detector combination. Like the CTX/Equinox, those three detector's weaknesses are counteracted by their strengths.

Last edited:
Equinox is faster and I will say it will unmask some coins the etrac won't. Downside is you'll dig alot of junk the equinox calls coins,bits of wire,etc it will high tone on..So,yea you will unmask coins at the price of digging alot of junk too.
Etrac,if your usto the best ID at depth and the deeper machine out of the two,,that would be the etrac.. No comparison on leaving junk behind or calling those deep old coins actual coins,and not digging some type of trash..
It really comes down to the individual.Are you willing to fill your pouch with junk and a few keepers vs basically no junk and all keepers at the expense that the etrac might not unmask a coin the equinox would? That's the million dollar question..But watch the videos,, they don't lie as to what these guys are digging with the equinox,good vs bad ratio

It also boils down to if you want to spend $949 or $1500. I haven't detected in 10 years. My first hour and A half out with the Nox and I found 14 coins and 4 pieces of trash. The second time was about the same amount of time and had 10 coins and 3 pieces of trash. I will say I wasn't impressed with the iron bias F2. I hit a signal I thought was a bottle cap because I found one at that ID. I changed the bias to F2-6 which should have nulled the cap. It still rang loud and clear yet was still a bottle cap. It's a good thing I'm a person who doesn't worry about such things.

Back
Top Bottom